Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hello from Seattle

ArthurY

Hi everyone,

Just dropping in a line to say "Hi" from the Greater Seattle area.

Have been riding CBR1000RR and Ninja 1000SX.

Lately, looking into BDR and ADV riding.

Need advice and knowledge to choose a well balanced 60/40 bike. T7 is in my short list.

CBR1000RR SP || Ninja 1000SX 
Looking to get an asphalt/off-road (60/40) bike

If your coming from 1000cc inlines your going to find the t7 lacking in every department. If you are planning on doing more challenging offroad then the t7 is good. If it's more fire roads, gravel roads and the odd easy jeep trail then I'd suggest something bigger ie. Ktm 1290 SAR  or similar.  I'd suggest riding one, whether it's a from a dealer or renting one for an afternoon.  You'll know pretty quick if it's something you could live with or not.

• Like 3

Yes, I do not have intention to go to very technical off-road riding, just simple/easy BDR forest roads.

Africa Twin was another one in my short list.

Will definitely test out the T7 to get a better feel for it.

Edited by ArthurY

I've a ZZR1400 and am happy with the T7 it obviously doesn't have the power or the insane acceleration but you can't ride a 200hp bike on a crappy gravel coverd backroad, if I want to get to the other side of the country in record time I take the Z, if I want to have fun in the hills I'll take the T7, horses for course's, you'll be fine just have fun

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike99 said:

I've a ZZR1400 and am happy with the T7 it obviously doesn't have the power or the insane acceleration but you can't ride a 200hp bike on a crappy gravel coverd backroad, if I want to get to the other side of the country in record time I take the Z, if I want to have fun in the hills I'll take the T7, horses for course's, you'll be fine just have fun

Well said. 
No, I'm not a hurry when I ride.

I want to explore, look at mountains and lakes. So, speed isn't what I'm looking for but I do not want a lot of vibrations when riding on the tarmac to get to the dirt roads.

Edited by ArthurY

That was my exact reason for buying the T7, I find it fast enough and not too vibey getting to the trails and good enough on the trails, everything is a compromise, I've driven the AT and prefer the T7, I'd recommend one

• Like 1

You need a T7 for the type of riding you wish to do.  It's a great bike for gravel and light duty off road.  I say light duty  because I'm old and don't care to beat myself up and brag about it anymore.  I just want to enjoy the ride and do some technical stuff for fun.  Go sit on one at least and see if it's "You".  Have fun bike shopping.  Let us know what you get.

• Like 1

By the way, how are you guys dealing with tubed tires in the T7 if you are in the woods and the tire got busted?

Just wanted to have a feel for what needs to be done to get back on the road. 

6 hours ago, ArthurY said:

By the way, how are you guys dealing with tubed tires in the T7 if you are in the woods and the tire got busted?

Just wanted to have a feel for what needs to be done to get back on the road. 

In my opinion the best way to deal with the tubed tires is to not deal with them!  Lots of info on this forum on tubeless rim conversions of the stock wheels or full replacement tubeless wheels.  I went with the latter.  

• Like 1