Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

TS700-RLA LED signals not flashing

Mud_Butt

I recently picked up some 12oclockLabs TS700-RLA signals for the front and rear, as well as the Camel ADV LED flashers relay.  This LED kit comes with plug and play factory plugs that you connect to the wire leads of the new lights.  First, I installed the rear indicators, I tested them and they flash perfectly with turn signal and hazard light switches while the stock front signals were still plugged in.  Next, I installed the front LED indicators and now both the front and rear will not flash except one quick time before staying solid.

I reinstalled OE front indicators and rear LEDs work perfectly fine again.  Anyone else have similar issues?

Correct, I have tried both OE relay and Camel Adv relay, same result.  The only thing the Camel relay really does is keep it from turbo flashing.

• Confused 1

Check the connectors - new compared to the OE - and see if there is a difference.  Something changed between the OEM signals and the new and improved you have purchased.  I'm interested in the solution.  

I think I figured it out.  The adapters they included for both front and rear have 3 wires, the 3rd being for running lights, which the rear does not use.  I have all 3 hooked up on both front and rear.  Going to jump the 3rd 12v wires used to power running lights in rear to the main power lead and see if that fixes the issue.

• Like 1

Update:  All wiring was checked and is correct.  Also, oddly enough, when everything is hooked up. hazards work fine but, turn signals still do nothing but blink once.  I'm starting to think it's the Camel Adv flasher relay.

@Mud_Butt

I have been considering getting 120clockLabs blinkers so I am very interested in the final resolution. I like the fact that the front ones are three wire so you have front driving lights just like stock, but I am not that interested in having running lights on the rear.

Did I understand correctly that they come with three wire connectors front and rear?  

Is there some sort of adapter plug to convert the stock rear two wire plug to three wire?

If so can you hook them up without the adapter so you don't have rear running lights?

Do they include the wiring diagram for there lights so if need be you can rewire the rear ones for a two wire plug and not use the driving light option on the rear? 

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Mud_Butt said:

Update:  All wiring was checked and is correct.  Also, oddly enough, when everything is hooked up. hazards work fine but, turn signals still do nothing but blink once.  I'm starting to think it's the Camel Adv flasher relay.

I concur that the issue is probably the Camel Adv flasher as it sounds like nothing changes between that and the OEM flasher. My experience with LED turn signals (in general) is the OEM flasher will operate normally with only 2 of the 4 turn signals replaced with LEDs.  The issue occurs when all 4 OEM bulb type turn signals are replaced with LEDs.   Keep us posted,  inquiring minds want to know. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@UtahJack

The 3 wire setup in the rear actually has the third wire (12v running lights) spliced to the power for the blinkers, so it is actually a 2-wire setup, just like from the factory.  I did not notice this at first when I installed them.

@AZJW

That's good to know, thanks.  After scouring forum posts, I found some folks with the same exact issue and the flasher relay that 12oclocklabs sells actually corrects the issue.  Although, some still reported to have a syncing issue between the turn signal lights on the cluster and the flashers themselves.  I have to admit though, this barely bothers me as long as they function properly.  Anyways, I ordered the part and will report back when installed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I installed 12oclocklabs turn signals today front and rear, also replaced stock flasher relay with TST Led flasher relay.

Found that unlike the stock turn signals these turn signals and hazard flashers only work with the bike running do not work with just the ignition switch on, not sure why that is.

Also the indicators on the dash do not blink with the turn signals or the hazard flashers, just come on solid.

I will do some research to find why these two issues are now different, more out of curiosity than it being a functional problem. 

Very happy with the 12oclocklabs turn signals very bright and good looking. I did buy the standard turn signals for the Tenere and not the more expensive programable turn signals.

Here are the links:

Fix your bike's hyperflash or no flash problem with an easy to install, direct replacement, plug-and-play Gen2 LED Flasher Relay.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem, I installed the 12:00labs indicators, the issue is that the new LED indicators have a low enough current draw that when you replace all the bulbs in the system you will have some weird issues crop up. most of my bikes in the past have been able to correct this with a relay, the T7 is the first one that I ran into that even after I corrected the flash speed the indicator on the dash didn't correct as well (this can be chalked up to the cluster design by Yamaha, nothing inherently wrong with it just the circuit design and the current passing through it) I did however find the solution to the problem. 

My issues and the order I addressed them.

Installed indicators = hyperflash (to be expected so I also installed the 12:00 solid state flasher relay at the same time)

Solid state relay = signals did not like to flash if the bike wasn't running, as well as the signals blink slowly but the indicator on the instrument cluster did not flash at all and stayed on solid, I installed the adjustable TST relay  and tried different adjustments to correct the instrument panel not flashing.

TST Relay (IP no flash) = I finally just used the Bullet Plug/ OEM harness Adapter  and soldered in a Dual load equalizer and plugged it into the rear light harness and tucked the load equalizer under the tail plastics near the side of the battery and all of the issues have been corrected

https://www.signaldynamics.com/01008

Edited by ClutchXT

@ClutchXT

Question: If I follow you correctly, (which is always an issue). You only installed the load equalizer on the rear indicators. But you do have 12oclockLabs indicators installed on the front also, after installing the Dual load equalizer on the rear did you go back to the stock flasher relay or did you keep the TST relay installed?

Now every thing is blinking at an appropriate rate for both turn signals and hazard lights including the dash indicators? Do they now blink with the just the ignition on are do they still require the bike to be started?

Last question did you install the 12oclockLabs TS700-RLA or 12oclockLabs Programmable Animated Turn Signals?  

Thanks.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 1

@UtahJack

Correct I installed the 12OC lights in all 4 corners and I installed the load equalizer on only the rear set. It basically is making the relay act like my rear bulbs are still incondesant bulbs and bump the current draw slightly.

It corrected the the flashing issue with both relays. I tested both and they both flashed correctly, I kept the TST relay in because it fits the factory rubber grommet. The dash indicator flashes correctly as well.

I have the TS700 RLA nonprogramable.

You can get resistors from your local auto parts store but their will be 2 in the set and they will have bare leads each end. That you will want to insulate if you use. I preferred the signal dynamics unit for a much cleaner install. When I get home later today I will draw up a diagram of the adapter harness I made for the equalizer

Edited by ClutchXT
  • Thanks 1

legend.thumb.JPG.a558e790b33ab6b375a1617014766af4.JPG

Signals.JPG.5e5ad9989dcb1221dfe29fee93e93be1.JPG

1301626956_loadEqualizer.thumb.JPG.bb6c82bd2916a9d8b7f3d9915a626930.JPG

Adapter.thumb.jpg.94d7c7eae30386cefb8a40497fbc55a3.jpg

the ground from the Load Equalizer gets hooked to a chassis ground or battery negative

the violet and brown leads from the equalizer gets hooked to the 12V signal  lead of the adapter harness, one for each side , (Example: violet hooked to the left signal adapter and brown hooked to the right signal adapter wire ) 

hopefully makes sense, 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to post my follow up guys, sorry about that.  Once paired with the 12oclocklabs electronic flasher, the lights worked correctly, but the flashing arrows on the speedo cluster stay solid for the most part when the signals are on.  They did however give me some resistor additions to fix it, I just haven't installed them yet.

Edited by Mud_Butt
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is a 2+ year old topic, but after quite a bit of research and trying a combination of things recommended in this thread, the fix for my '23 non-tft model with tusk short stalk led's at all 4 corners was a plug and play led flasher from cycle gear AND a load equalizer between the two rear signals.  No combination of anything else worked for me to get normal blink speed and indicators blinking on the cluster display.  It seems this bike needs a narrow range of power draw to make everything jive.  Hope this helps someone with a similar setup in future.

• Like 1