Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

15w-50 Syn

T7MapleLeaf

Hi guys,  I hate to be the guy asking an oil question here, but this is my first non-80’s tech thumper bike. Trying to keep to a strict maintenance plan!

Yamaha dealer sold me Yamalube oil change packages (50% off sale to boot),  and I noticed they are 15w-50 full synthetic.  He says 10-40 is long backordered, this is totally fine.  

How does the heavy oil compare in 5-35 degrees C on these bikes?  Will be for the first 800km oil change.

Thanks!

• Moderators

@T7MapleLeaf Welcome to the forum. You're fine with 15W-50 for those temps. Owners Manual doesn't specifically list that grade, but the temperature range you're working with is shown to be recommended to down to 0C for the 15W and up to 45C for the 50W. 

20210914_144400.thumb.jpg.ff73c54ecf3ef852bb670b575222cee2.jpg

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I try to stay out of oil threads…..

Modern oils are so good oil related failures are almost non existent. 
As long as it has oil and is changed somewhat when it’s supposed to be with a weight that’s close to spec I don’t worry about oil much. 

Edited by mpatch

Welcome!

Wow, what a way to be introduced to the forum - with an oil question😆!

I run 15W40 in all my bikes (except the WR450 in snowbike spec in the winter) and never had any problems. It never gets hot enough in Alberta to need the 50W.

Enjoy the ride!

• Haha 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

@T7MapleLeaf Welcome to the forum. You're fine with 15W-50 for those temps. Owners Manual doesn't specifically list that grade, but the temperature range you're working with is shown to be recommended to down to 0C for the 15W and up to 45C for the 50W. 

20210914_144400.thumb.jpg.ff73c54ecf3ef852bb670b575222cee2.jpg

Oooh thanks for the reference image! I rode with the recommended 10W-40 in 45C a couple of times one day this summer for around an hour each. It was not a ride I was excited for, but I couldn't take the car. Hopefully not a huge deal...

• Moderators

@TeabagInsurance I wouldn't sweat it one bit. As @mpatchnoted, modern oils are way superior to what we had available years ago, so I'm confident your engine is just fine. I'd be more concerned about heat damage to the rider!

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, Canzvt said:

Welcome!

Wow, what a way to be introduced to the forum - with an oil question😆!

I run 15W40 in all my bikes (except the WR450 in snowbike spec in the winter) and never had any problems. It never gets hot enough in Alberta to need the 50W.

Enjoy the ride!

I never thought I’d be that guy!   But after scouring the web and this forum for CP2 15w-50 and finding nothing except un-educated warnings that it would cause failures (yeah right!), I figured I’d check on here. I’ll be putting the T7 away on the 0 degree days, and bring out the DRZ-E.

Amazing bike so far,  although does anyone else find the engine case is horribly in the way of their right leg??

6 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@TeabagInsurance I wouldn't sweat it one bit. As @mpatchnoted, modern oils are way superior to what we had available years ago, so I'm confident your engine is just fine. I'd be more concerned about heat damage to the rider!

Hahaha yeah it was an abysmal ride if I'm being honest!

5 minutes ago, T7MapleLeaf said:

I never thought I’d be that guy!   But after scouring the web and this forum for CP2 15w-50 and finding nothing except un-educated warnings that it would cause failures (yeah right!), I figured I’d check on here. I’ll be putting the T7 away on the 0 degree days, and bring out the DRZ-E.

Amazing bike so far,  although does anyone else find the engine case is horribly in the way of their right leg??

I've seen that comment a number of times. With full size boots on, I notice it a bit, yes. I don't think it's that bad personally. You kind of rub on the engine cover which I'm sure can be removed, but I don't think I'd want to because a) the heat might kill my leg, and b) with my luck, I would drop the bike and put a whole in the engine case 😛