Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear rim options

Innocente46

Righto guys, need advice. 

I want to swap out my rear rim for a 2.5" and need to know if the spoke count, angle and thickness must be considered when I order one? Forgive me if it seems like a silly question (replacing rims is new to me) but I want to get it right.

Do I need to find one that is specific to the T7 arrangement? 

Thanks in advance! 

Stefan

10 minutes ago, Toei said:

First point of clarification:  do you intend to replace the rim or the wheel?

Just the rim, to a 2.5"

Well then you have to match the spoke count to the hub.  If I were doing your project I'd use an Excel Takasago rim. 

You're going to need new spokes as well, which is a positive because the stock ones are not stainless and rust easily.  Most of all you'll need a competent wheel builder to build your new wheel.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toei said:

Well then you have to match the spoke count to the hub.  If I were doing your project I'd use an Excel Takasago rim. 

You're going to need new spokes as well, which is a positive because the stock ones are not stainless and rust easily.  Most of all you'll need a competent wheel builder to build your new wheel.  

Thanks.

Yeah, Excel is what I'll be seeking. I just got to find out what spoke set and rim I'll need. How I do that I don't know!

I've seen part number lists for the Excel rims but I'll let you look.  If you go Takasago 18 x 2.5 36 hole (from memory) in black there's only going to be one part number.  

Your wheel wheel builder will be able to determine the spoke length needed, let them order the spokes.  I wouldn't suggest tackling building a wheel on your own.  I can't remember what gauge the T7 spokes are, but I researched/measured everything a while back and determined the stock spoke gauge was appropriate and plenty strong.  

• Like 1