Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First adventure ride on the new T7 for me!

Wintersdark

First adventure ride last night, and my first dirt ride in 30 years.  250km done west of Calgary - making it a pretty lengthy first such ride.   The Tenere held up like a champ, and made it easy - honestly, I feel the T7 is almost easy-mode for motorcycling; such a competent bike.  Took all of 10 minutes to get the basics down and start really having fun.  Maybe a bit of an hard break in, but whatever.  Worth it.  

Also, ordered all my kit - heated grips, parts to add connectors for my heated gear, Heed rear bars (got the OEM regular crash bars), ebay rear rack (old style, won't carry as much weight but no compatibility issues with the Heed bars), and Moose ADV1 bags.  

Can't wait to get it all set up for me.  I was pretty excited to try out the whole dualsport/adventure style riding (been exclusively street riding for those 30 years) but wasn't certain it would really be for me - making that $14,000 outlay really nerve-wracking.  But man, was it ever fun.  I'd considered getting an old KLR, DR650 or some such, and I'm really glad I didn't. Ran great at home, great on mountaintops in the snow, no carby issues.  People can say what they like, but I've ridden carbureted bikes for some 25 of those 30 years, and fuel injection is so much more reliable and simple particularly over wild temperature and altitude swings.  No disrespect intended on those machines, mind you, but the T7 was just *outrageously* fun in the dirt, and with no sacrifices on the street.  I mean, it's nothing compared to my Tracer on the street, but it's absolutely competent and didn't leave me feeling slow or unable to keep up.  Hauled my 300lb ass around effortlessly, while being light enough to be really easy to learn how to ride in dirt/sand/gravel. 

I'm giddly.  Absolutely love the bike.  

• Like 4

Welcome to the club.

I was gifted a 2008 Gerbings heated jacket liner...I got the wiring connector routed and can verify its toasty warm.

Heated grips and auxiliary lights will be in my future.

Chilly Fall weather is my favorite time to ride.

Evening ride at twilight last night was just amazing. 

Winter is coming so enjoy every second on your new machine.

"Giddy" is a PERFECT descriptor!!

15 hours ago, straydog371 said:

Welcome to the club.

I was gifted a 2008 Gerbings heated jacket liner...I got the wiring connector routed and can verify its toasty warm.

Heated grips and auxiliary lights will be in my future.

Chilly Fall weather is my favorite time to ride.

Evening ride at twilight last night was just amazing. 

Winter is coming so enjoy every second on your new machine.

"Giddy" is a PERFECT descriptor!!

Yeah I ride all winter - the last two on my Tracer, but this I feel will be a bit more flexible (and give me a chance to play with studs!)

I use a heated jacket liner, heated gloves, and a heated helmet visor.  That takes me down to -25C comfortably.

Have to find tires for the T7 that handle cold, though.  My Anlas Wintergrip Plus on the Tracer are excellent, but obviously won't fit the Tenere.  

• Like 1