Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Aftermarket LED Turn Signals stopped working

MeltingCheese

Hi,

This summer I installed some Kinstecks LED turn signals and LED flasher relay from Amazon and everything was fine until yesterday where they would not blink. However, the DRL function of the turn signals still works every time I switch on the ignition (could this mean that wiring is not the issue?). Also, when I flick the turn signal button from the handlebars, no light would appear on the dashboard. The same thing happens with the hazards, nothing appears on the dash when I click the switch. I already tried replacing the fuse with the spare but it did not solve the issue of not blinking. I also replaced the LED flasher relay but to no avail as well. Anyone has ideas on this issue? I am a total noob when it comes to electrical stuff ;(

Thank you

• Like 1

I haven't had any trouble with the electrical so far so I know very little about it.  However, I am watching these threads to garner more information on this part of the bike.  I'll know more about signals and wiring of them this winter when I attempt to install and audible device to remind me the signals are on.

17 hours ago, MeltingCheese said:

Hi,

This summer I installed some Kinstecks LED turn signals and LED flasher relay from Amazon and everything was fine until yesterday where they would not blink. However, the DRL function of the turn signals still works every time I switch on the ignition (could this mean that wiring is not the issue?). Also, when I flick the turn signal button from the handlebars, no light would appear on the dashboard. The same thing happens with the hazards, nothing appears on the dash when I click the switch. I already tried replacing the fuse with the spare but it did not solve the issue of not blinking. I also replaced the LED flasher relay but to no avail as well. Anyone has ideas on this issue? I am a total noob when it comes to electrical stuff ;(

Thank you

Did the Dash light work properly for flashers and hazzards before the issue of the lights not lighting up?

It is rare that all the blinkers would fail at the same time.  The issue must be with the flasher relay or your switch.  If both your turn sigs and hazzards stopped working at the same time, again it's rare you would have multiple simultaneous failures there.  I'm leaning to bad flasher relay or wiring between that relay and the switchgear.

Power comes from battery>Ignition (1)>fuse (5)>Flasher relay(72)>Turn indicator switch (77) and Hazzards Switch(78)> Turn signals(L82, 83) (R80, 81) AND Dash indicator(62,63). 

On the following diagram, the DRL is not shown but the DRL circuit never turns off.  It's always on even when the turn signals are selected or hazzards are turned on.  The OEM North America turn signals have two lighted elements in the bulb. So when the turn sig is activated, the bulb gets brighter for each flash but the DRL circuit never shuts off.

I'll need to confirm what you should expect on that circuit if you measure for voltage at various points but I won't have time to do that until maybe Sunday.

Wiring diagram T700.pngWiring Diagram2 T700.png

35 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

Did the Dash light work properly for flashers and hazzards before the issue of the lights not lighting up?

It is rare that all the blinkers would fail at the same time.  The issue must be with the flasher relay or your switch.  If both your turn sigs and hazzards stopped working at the same time, again it's rare you would have multiple simultaneous failures there.  I'm leaning to bad flasher relay or wiring between that relay and the switchgear.

Power comes from battery>Ignition (1)>fuse (5)>Flasher relay(72)>Turn indicator switch (77) and Hazzards Switch(78)> Turn signals(L82, 83) (R80, 81) AND Dash indicator(62,63). 

On the following diagram, the DRL is not shown but the DRL circuit never turns off.  It's always on even when the turn signals are selected or hazzards are turned on.  The OEM North America turn signals have two lighted elements in the bulb. So when the turn sig is activated, the bulb gets brighter for each flash but the DRL circuit never shuts off.

I'll need to confirm what you should expect on that circuit if you measure for voltage at various points but I won't have time to do that until maybe Sunday.

Wiring diagram T700.pngWiring Diagram2 T700.png

Hi,

Yes, the dash lights (both for turn signals and hazards) worked perfectly before they all stopped working. Also, it happened while I was riding back home, meaning everything was working well when I left school but then on the highway I noticed that when I flicked the blinker switch, nothing would light up on the dash anymore. To add further info, it rained a little bit before my class ended so could water be an issue?

As for the diagram, I am absolutely lost being a total noob. I don't think it's the relays as I have already tried 3 different LED relays plus the OEM one (Non-LED). It could be the switch but the horn and other functions of the left handlebars still work.

Thank you for your help

4 hours ago, MeltingCheese said:

Hi,

Yes, the dash lights (both for turn signals and hazards) worked perfectly before they all stopped working. Also, it happened while I was riding back home, meaning everything was working well when I left school but then on the highway I noticed that when I flicked the blinker switch, nothing would light up on the dash anymore. To add further info, it rained a little bit before my class ended so could water be an issue?

As for the diagram, I am absolutely lost being a total noob. I don't think it's the relays as I have already tried 3 different LED relays plus the OEM one (Non-LED). It could be the switch but the horn and other functions of the left handlebars still work.

Thank you for your help

Horn is a completely separate circuit.  Water could be an issue but the bike is designed with that in mind.

You can open that LH combination switch with bike off and see if anything is weird.  Those switches are layers on top of layers so to get to the turn signal contacts you may have to remove a few small parts in side it.  I wouldn't recommend you go that far...lots of small screws and springs to lose.  Just open it up move switches and look for wiring breaks.  

Sunday I can test the circuit out and confirm how I assume it works.

J

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 10:33 AM, MeltingCheese said:

Hi,

Thank you for your help

I checked a couple things today with that circuit.

With ignition ON, Blue/Red wire on the relay plug has +12.  I was measuring 0v on the Brown/White with Ign ON.  When Hazzard or turn sig on this would read 0, +12v oscillating.

The LED flasher relay doesn't flash unless that circuit is closed ( Hazards on or a turn signal on).  When the circuit is working correctly, the output of the relay will be an oscillating 0, +12V on the brown wire.

You can verify the relay is ok by removing it from the plug.  Take a small piece of wire and jumper the white plug.  Just push the wire into one terminal and the other to the other terminal.  You are now bypassing the relay.  When you actuate the turn sig or hazzard now it will light solid.  If that happens you know the relays are bad.  If you still don't get any lights look at your switch next.  I opened mine.  It's actually easy to get to.  You should be able to verify voltage at your switch.  IF you get no voltage there, there is probably a break or loose connection of your brown/white wire.

Your left combo switch has a large 10pin plug.  The wire lead is probably 18" to 24" long so likely up under the tanks somewhere.  I think it may be under the Right hand side tank lobe.  The switch side should be the Male plug.

J

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...