Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How to wire a different headlight(s)

Canadian-t7

I'm not the greatest at drawing wiring schematics, but this is how to wire lights if your not using the factory headlight. The blue/black wire and yellow wire are ground side switch for lights, they carry to much resistance to wire directly to the ground wire of the headlight (you will have dim lights) so you use those wires to switch on a relay(primary side) (blue/black for low beam, yellow for high beam) . You then have a dedicated ground on the secondary side of the relay that supplies ground to the light(can use the yellow/black headlight ground/accessory plug ground/ground directly from battery or chassis) . Supply voltage for the light comes from the accessory plug/headlight 12v supply/ or from a fused wire attached directly to the battery.  My lights have a dim feature so I will run that switch on my dash and it uses ground to complete the task. Also check whether or not the lights you are installing are case grounded (this won't work on a ground switched light, so you will need to isolate the light from case grounding ie. Rubber mount)

Edit: the key on power wire color is brown, or brown/white after the headlight plug.(forgot that in the wiring schematic)blue and black wire recieve ground after the bike starts and has ground until you shut the key off.

20210926_141620.jpg

Edited by Canadian-t7
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

You can run the secondary side of the relay power side switching if you so choose. Like this

20210926_211138.jpg

Edited by Canadian-t7
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

great diagram thanks for the help; total newbie here but trying to wire up my aftermarket lights. I don't understand some of the terms you use above. What is the simple legend / label for each of these wires?

Yellow/Black

Blue/Black

Brown

Yellow

I need to konw what wires to put on my new lights as they have different colors. 

TIA!

• 5 months later...

Hi everybody,

i'm working on a rally tower to lighten my bike and leave the oem headlight at home. I'm trying to find the oem headlight connector but unfortunately i've no idea where to find it... Any suggestion? 

Don't care for the red pin, what i'm searching is the black 6-spaces 4-pin male+female connector

20231204_211836.jpg

20231204_211833.jpg

20231204_211844.jpg

20231204_211828.jpg

KEDO in Hamburg/Germany has a lot of electric connectors.

But unfortunately this specific connector is not available. If you don't find it anywhere else email them (info@kedo.de) and show the pictures. Maybe they can organize it somewhere.

The shopowner rides a T7 himself and was very helpful when I needed the connecting plug for the extra wire that is present in the cockpit without being connected for e.g. an usb port.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to connect a smaller led headlight, but I still couldn't figure it out.. =(

On 9/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, Canadian-t7 said:

(blue/black for low beam, yellow for high beam)

Are you sure the blue/black it's for low beam?

My blue/black just have current when the selector is for High beam. The yellow one always have current (but both weaker then the Brown one)

@RiCkMaN brown is key on power, yellow/black is ground. Yellow provides ground to headlight for high beam, blue/black provides ground to headlight for low beam. Factory headlight is a ground switch unit. In order to wire in an aftermarket headlight, you need a relay or transitor to operate the circuit.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 2:34 AM, tenereharry said:

great diagram thanks for the help; total newbie here but trying to wire up my aftermarket lights. I don't understand some of the terms you use above. What is the simple legend / label for each of these wires?

Yellow/Black

Blue/Black

Brown

Yellow

I need to konw what wires to put on my new lights as they have different colors. 

TIA!

Sorry Harry,  I never go on the forum so you need to tag me so I get an alert. It's a pic of the factory headlight connector. Wire colors on diagrams are always short formed so br=brown, Y=yellow, l/b=blue with black tracer, Y/B=yellow with black tracer. You can't plug and play a different light into the wires for the headlight. Factory headlight uses ground side switching to run the headlight, but not a good enough ground to run the headlight through them. 

• Like 1

Thanks.

Tomorrow I'll give it another try.

Will follow strictly your diagram and tell you after how it went.

(edit) I bought 2 relays meanwile.. 😉 )

Edited by RiCkMaN
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Canadian-t7 said:

@RiCkMaN brown is key on power, yellow/black is ground. Yellow provides ground to headlight for high beam, blue/black provides ground to headlight for low beam. Factory headlight is a ground switch unit. In order to wire in an aftermarket headlight, you need a relay or transitor to operate the circuit.

That’s 2 independent relays right? One for low, one for high.

@FriendlyFungus yes, 2 . As shown in my illustrated wiring diagram. You could also use 2 PNP transitors instead of relays. They take up a lot less room and are more reliable. 

• Like 1

@RiCkMaNremember the bike needs to be started to get the ground signal from the ecu to turn on the headlight(you can turn off bike with the kill switch to keep the headlight on without bike running). In the diagram  82 is the headlight assembly, 71 is the handlebar switch. L/B goes from headlight to handlebar switch, it changes to red/yellow at a connector under the right side of the gas tank(if memory serves) that red/yellow wire comes from the ecu, so be careful back probing the blue/black and yellow wires for the headlight.

Screenshot_20240112_211000_Drive.jpg

• Like 2

That is what I'm wiring up fyi.

Work In Progress 

PXL_20240113_005703796.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 3:26 AM, FriendlyFungus said:

That is what I'm wiring up fyi.

Work In Progress 

PXL_20240113_005703796.jpg

Yeah, very interesting! I'm actually doing something similar, but with a reinforced rally-style tower to support the screen and gps device.

I found the connector from aliexpress and i'll follow the tips on this thread to make everything work.

Thanks to everybody!

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-16 at 13.30.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-16 at 18.07.30.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, luisfico said:

Yeah, very interesting! I'm actually doing something similar, but with a reinforced rally-style tower to support the screen and gps device.

I found the connector from aliexpress and i'll follow the tips on this thread to make everything work.

Thanks to everybody!

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-16 at 13.30.50.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-16 at 18.07.30.jpeg

Very cool. In my design, the metal stays end half way. I didn't like the idea of having them go all the way to the gps-bar. If you go over the handlebars, having metal up there might prove dangerous. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 3:20 PM, FriendlyFungus said:

Very cool. In my design, the metal stays end half way. I didn't like the idea of having them go all the way to the gps-bar. If you go over the handlebars, having metal up there might prove dangerous. 

@FriendlyFungus My first idea was to strengthen the fairing securing it to the alu frame, but i'm now thinking to make a new version to lower all the cockpit... we'll see...

Can you share some pics of the details?

And i would like to know about the lights too...

Thanks

Edited by luisfico
  • Like 1

@Canadian-t7 i'm not sure i understood how to wire the lights, i made a scheme. I'm thinking to take the positive current from the spare triangular socket behind the left front cover.

Can someone tell me if i'm right or wrong?

20240119_161800.jpg

@luisfico diagram looks okay, just relays are backwards.  Also i dont think the triangle connector has a big fuse, 2amp I think. I would use the brown wire to power the lights and the power from the triangle connector to trigger the relay. 

20240119_161800.jpg.e10de256aa265053d2a0c6098178ffd7.jpg

Like this instead.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Canadian-t7 said:

Like this instead.

I tought the triangle connector has enough current because it's used to run the heated grips, however i'll follow your tips. Thanks a lot!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 3:38 AM, random1781 said:

Thanks! In this way you'll have the low beam always on when you turn on the key, even if you don't start the engine... not so safe for the battery, isn't it?

Letting the oem cable commanding the LB too with a relay  seem to be a bit safer for the power consumption... IMO

An other easier way could be to add a switch between the 3-pin + cable and the LB? or the current will damage the switch?

On 2/5/2024 at 4:29 AM, luisfico said:

Thanks! In this way you'll have the low beam always on when you turn on the key, even if you don't start the engine... not so safe for the battery, isn't it?

Letting the oem cable commanding the LB too with a relay  seem to be a bit safer for the power consumption... IMO

An other easier way could be to add a switch between the 3-pin + cable and the LB? or the current will damage the switch?

I have a switch on mine between the aux + and relay, but it would probably have been a better idea to put it before the relay coil.

I did this just because there are times that I want the light off. I frequently leave the ignition on wirh the engine off until the fan turns off and it's fine.

• Like 1

advgoats.com