Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Expertise needed - snatchy shifting / clutch engagement

ADVUSA

I've noticed occasionally and read posts that the throttle on the T7 can be "snatchy" meaning not very smooth. Some have gone the route of ECU flash and I'm not going that route.

I have tried:

*  adjusting throttle free play

*  adjusting clutch free play - it engages around 1/2 of lever travel

*  applying slight pressure on the shift lever when shifting (this helps a LITTLE)

*  NOTE:  I installed the Camel ADV one-finger clutch and it's set in the middle (I don't think this contributes to the snatchyness)

*  NOTE:  I have to purposely be very deliberate to "smoothley engage" the throttle after switching gears OR it may exhibit a snatchy clutch engagement

i.e. very smoothly engage the clutch and very smoothly manage the throttle when letting out the clutch.

Question:  what else can I do besides an ECU flash to help alleviate the snatch shifting / clutch engagement after shifting gears.     😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just ride it. Forget trying to change it into something it is not. 

• Like 2

my friend did that (or I think he just reversed the spring?), said it helped. Personally the snatchiness helps a ton when im offroading

• Like 1

7 hours ago, loneranger700 said:

my friend did that (or I think he just reversed the spring?), said it helped. Personally the snatchiness helps a ton when im offroading

I'm curious how a snatchy throttle could help when offroading?  Seems that would be one of the times it would hurt the most.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried having the ECU flashed on my FZ7 for same reason. Helped a little but not enough

to do this again on the T7. At 7000 miles I'm used to it ( I guess ). I wish bike builders in general would

have a longer intake tract. I think that would smooth out throttle response. The only fuel injected bike

I have with perfect throttle response is my 1996 Road King !! Unbelievable.

For me adjusting the slack in the throttle was enough.
I took away all the slack, just be sure to turn the steer to both sides to check it doesn't put some tension on it revving it up a little.
You can also try to increase the idle rpm just a little.

• Like 1