Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Available sockets, where are they?

one wheel drive

Say you want to add a charge port at the dash, or you want to plug in a  relay to a switched socket for a fuse block.

Are there any available sockets on the harness? How many and where are they?

:

There are empty connectors on both sides behind the upper fairing.  They are taped to the upper supports. If I recall, there are two 5 amp and one 10 amp. You can remove accessory fuses to see which is which.

Edited by Dan M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are (2) 10 amp connectors but they share the same fuse. There are also (2) 2 amp connectors that share the same fuse but one on the left is used by the cigarette lighter jack.
The 10 amp connectors are fairly standard and easy to find. The 2 amp connectors are harder to find. 

Edited by Liquidape
Grammar and spelling errors
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2021 at 3:44 PM, Dan M said:

There are empty connectors on both sides behind the upper fairing.  They are taped to the upper supports. If I recall, there are two 5 amp and one 10 amp. You can remove accessory fuses to see which is which.

Thanks for the reply.

:

On 9/28/2021 at 4:18 PM, Liquidape said:

There are (2) 10 amp connectors but they share the same fuse. There are also (2) 2 amp connectors that share the same fuse but one on the left is used by the cigarette lighter jack.
The 10 amp connectors are fairly standard and easy to find. The 2 amp connectors are harder to find. 

Looks like I'm gonna have to do a dive into the wiring behind the dash and suss it out.

For now I'm looking to hard wire in my Garmin mount to a switched connector. I suppose a 2 amp will do for that.

And add grip heat, which might be too much draw for a 2 amp.

It'd be odd for the lighter type connect to only be 2 amps. Seems that would be way easy to blow the fuse with the kind of items you might plug in there.

Anyone have a source for a wiring diagram?

:

@Goldentaco posted a pic of it here   

With a chart that tells what the loads are at those numbers.  Looks like 92,93,94,95 are the sockets to look for.  Colors should help locating, assuming the chart is valid for a 2019-2021 T7. 

246076401_T7sockets2.jpg.545c0c755c78c404291443ace4d54fb6.jpg

:

Edited by one wheel drive
Clarity

4 hours ago, one wheel drive said:

Looks like I'm gonna have to do a dive into the wiring behind the dash and suss it out.

For now I'm looking to hard wire in my Garmin mount to a switched connector. I suppose a 2 amp will do for that.

And add grip heat, which might be too much draw for a 2 amp.

It'd be odd for the lighter type connect to only be 2 amps. Seems that would be way easy to blow the fuse with the kind of items you might plug in there.

Anyone have a source for a wiring diagram?

:

Wire the GPS to the 2 pin 2 amp circuit. Either #94 or #95 Wire the grip heaters to the 10 amp circuit either #92 or 93. 

wiring diagram below

1F138F86-4EC8-4596-9E82-A3EF286C09F8.thumb.png.edde14d91c704be36643bbc10cce79d8.png893BC59B-BAD3-4E9E-ACEE-2D7C36427F03.thumb.png.61469696b1ee6a79e44ad4268465e76f.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Liquidape said:

Wire the GPS to the 2 pin 2 amp circuit. Either #94 or #95 Wire the grip heaters to the 10 amp circuit either #92 or 93. 

wiring diagram below . . .

I don't get why they'd put in 2 amp circuits. That's hardly enough for most any application.

I want a usb charge port on the right side across from the  lighter port. Same as I have on my DR.  Those have a 1.5 amp and a two amp, or two 2 amp, plus a voltmeter. Good to keep a phone or tablet topped up while you ride.   But if you charged from both ports, you overload the 2 amp fuse.

1044194917_usbport.JPG.50d9c4f936e7dc134072a3a221a88527.JPG

You could replace the fuse with a 5 amp, but then you have to wonder if the wiring is too light for the fuse.

:

5 hours ago, one wheel drive said:

I don't get why they'd put in 2 amp circuits. That's hardly enough for most any application.

I want a usb charge port on the right side across from the  lighter port. Same as I have on my DR.  Those have a 1.5 amp and a two amp, or two 2 amp, plus a voltmeter. Good to keep a phone or tablet topped up while you ride.   But if you charged from both ports, you overload the 2 amp fuse.

1044194917_usbport.JPG.50d9c4f936e7dc134072a3a221a88527.JPG

You could replace the fuse with a 5 amp, but then you have to wonder if the wiring is too light for the fuse.

:

2 A auxiliary connectors are rated for 12 V, while you are referring to 5 V charger.
12 V x 2 A = 24 W
5 V x 2.1 A = 10,5 W
While using two charging ports at full power, you will be draining 21 W while the connector is rated for 24 W. You are good then.

Right hand side connector can be found here:

20211001_205108.thumb.jpg.ce40daa881a9fff641e76126fa8a4ffb.jpg

Male connector is needed to connect to the female one on the bike (search for Yamaha accessory socket connector on ebay):

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.409e2bfb4bec7e75211c10440ddce8c8.jpg

Edited by lookalek
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2021 at 1:39 AM, lookalek said:

Right hand side connector can be found here:

20211001_205108.thumb.jpg.ce40daa881a9fff641e76126fa8a4ffb.jpg

Male connector is needed to connect to the female one on the bike (search for Yamaha accessory socket connector on ebay):

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.409e2bfb4bec7e75211c10440ddce8c8.jpg

Near as I can find, these connectors are Yazaki 090 HM/MT terminals, available from Eastern Beaver.  Somebody correct me if that's wrong and you know different.

1740488644_Yazaki2pin090HM-MTconnector.thumb.JPG.de8f31f23a28fa0d07060ae69b6a7c67.JPG

What's puzzling is, it looks like the hot line from the battery has the male terminal ends, and the socket to the load has the female end. Which seems backwards.  What am I missing?

IMG_4142.thumb.JPG.c1bbc846f2352e0549b37f45a3ab3974.JPG

:

• Like 1

The 10 amp lines appear not to be backward.  Meaning the hot line has female terminals and the load side has male ones as you would expect.

As I'm getting it, these are Sumitomo 3 pin .090 MT  connectors. Also available from Eastern Beaver. 

The bike has a supplied load side cap, but if you want to wire it up, you need the terminal ends and crimp them on. Looks like those come in two different wire sizes.

1989863778_T7Sumitomo.090MT3pinconnector.thumb.JPG.8dda7b72ecd02a8976c107375010335b.JPG

On a sort of related topic, somewhere there is a connector to the side stand cutoff switch. As I get it, if you shunt that connector, you can disable the switch. Meaning the side stand will no longer kill the motor in any position.

Anyone know where that connector is?

:

51 minutes ago, one wheel drive said:

What's puzzling is, it looks like the hot line from the battery has the male terminal ends, and the socket to the load has the female end. Which seems backwards.  What am I missing?

Battery side: female plug, male connectors
Load side: male plug, female connectors

Same combination you found on Eastern Beaver, so all good. What are you confused about?

1 hour ago, lookalek said:

Same combination you found on Eastern Beaver, so all good. What are you confused about?

What seems wrong is this.  We're looking at the 2 amp connector on the left side of the bike. The connector on the right side there in the photo is the one from the battery. It has male terminal ends in it, which is contrary to usual and to what you cite there.

On the left side of the photo is the load end going to the cigarette lighter style outlet on the dash. Female terminal ends. 

The connectors on the other side of the bike are similar.  

53402264_IMG_4142-2.thumb.jpg.e1eb57eaec6de1a1951a3c914ca4c9f6.jpg

The three pin connector has female terminal ends on the hot side as you would expect.

:

Might be unusual, but on the right side of the bike the setup is identical 😀 As far as I'm aware, it's same for other Yamahas too. Wiring diagram also shows that combination. 

1 hour ago, lookalek said:

Might be unusual, but on the right side of the bike the setup is identical 😀 As far as I'm aware, it's same for other Yamahas too. Wiring diagram also shows that combination. 

Yeah, you just need to be aware of it before ordering connector parts.

Answering my own question above, looks like the connector for the side stand cutoff switch is behind the radiator on the left side:

1806675947_T7sidestandcutoffconnector.thumb.jpg.14c152eb5de74378bf1bf85767fa07a7.jpg

Near as I can tell, its a Sumitomo HM 2 pin .090 connector. And like the 2 amp connector it has male terminal ends in the hot side.

1425640269_T7Sumi2pin090HMconnector.thumb.JPG.54c309ecab51c1d513b19271714ebdc8.JPG

Also found a site selling a prewired shunted load side connector meant to bypass the side stand switch here:

https://t7rally.com/shop/ols/products/t7-tenere-700-sidestand-switch-delete-bypass-plug

8 hours ago, lookalek said:

Its good practice in electrical design when you have unused connectors to not have male pins on the battery side because they can more easily make contact with something. The male pins should go on the load side.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2021 at 12:00 PM, one wheel drive said:

Near as I can find, these connectors are Yazaki 090 HM/MT terminals, available from Eastern Beaver.  Somebody correct me if that's wrong and you know different.

1740488644_Yazaki2pin090HM-MTconnector.thumb.JPG.de8f31f23a28fa0d07060ae69b6a7c67.JPG

IMG_4142.thumb.JPG.c1bbc846f2352e0549b37f45a3ab3974.JPG

:

So no one makes the same mistake I did, those two amp connectors are not a YZ 090 connector. Tried that, it didn't fit.

Gonna end up wiring on a two part after market connector, because whatever the right one is, seems its dang hard to find.

• 3 months later...

I’m looking to do some electrical changes to my bike but sadly it’s packed away while I focus on some more priority projects.  I do want to get the parts lined up though and use the connectors available for the most factory like install possible.  Looking to do tail tidy, led signals, heated grips and usb plug.  It looks like the 3 pin power connectors and signal plugs are available.  Can anyone confirm what plug the license plate light uses?  Also the correct 2 amp connector?  Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2022 at 11:47 AM, 10-7 said:

Looking to do tail tidy, led signals, heated grips and usb plug.  It looks like the 3 pin power connectors and signal plugs are available.  Can anyone confirm what plug the license plate light uses?  Also the correct 2 amp connector?  Thanks

I got my bike out and apart and found the answers to my questions.  If you want matching connectors to the bike you need the following:

Signal lights: NT .040 connector (bike has male, signals use female) one side is grey the other is black 

License plate light: NT .040 connector (reversed from signals; bike has male, light has female) grey

3 pin 10 amp accessory power: MT .090 connector (bike has female, accessory uses male) white

2 pin 2 amp accessory power: Automotive DJY7021A-2.3-21

I was able to get them all at Cycle Terminal, the 2 pin 2 amp connector isn’t on the site but if you email he has them. I also got a SAE connector with fuse and eyelets which I will connect to the battery and use for charging and/or heated vest. Now I can do my LED signals, tail tidy, power port, heated grips, and maybe driving lights without at all altering the factory harness and without having extra connections anywhere.  Also no need to hack the factory signal connectors off to do LEDs.