Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mounting points for GoPro

tramsnod

I usually use Liquid Image goggles which have a camera in the middle of the goggles but I want to get a GoPro or similar and mount it to the bike.

I don't have crash bars (I prefer not to drop it) so I can't mount it there.

Looking at the bike there are very few places to mount a forward facing GoPro.

Anyone have any idea's and any photo's of a setup would be good

Edited by tramsnod

7 hours ago, tramsnod said:

I usually use Liquid Image goggles which have a camera in the middle of the goggles but I want to get a GoPro or similar and mount it to the bike.

I don't have crash bars (I prefer not to drop it) so I can't mount it there.

Looking at the bike there are very few places to mount a forward facing GoPro.

Anyone have any idea's and any photo's of a setup would be good

The easiest way I have found to mount the GoPro on the bike facing the front is by using a clip-on adapter attached to the windshield. I can confirm that at least with the GoPro 7 and its stabilizer, the videos are perfectly stabilized despite the vibrations.
To secure the bite, I put a rubber strip between the clamp and the windshield.

forot-1.jpg

forot-2.jpg

• Like 2

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

If you put that same clip upside down, you can use it to attach the camera to the helmet visor. A cheap and practical two in one.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

3 hours ago, Ol'crazy said:

The easiest way I have found to mount the GoPro on the bike facing the front is by using a clip-on adapter attached to the windshield. I can confirm that at least with the GoPro 7 and its stabilizer, the videos are perfectly stabilized despite the vibrations.

forot-1.jpg

forot-2.jpg

Wow, @Ol'crazy and you never lost your GoPro/cam? Like the cam never came of your bike? I'm sure when I do this, ten meters out and I've lost it already.

Always attach a lanyard to your go pro so you don't loose it.  There are many a GoPro laying in the bush ready to be discovered thousands of years from now.  As many as there are wallets laying at the bottom of the lakes and oceans of the world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I also like the products of RAM, in specific the Though-Claw... It's very flexible in terms of mounting (any frame part incl. handle bars will do). The platform also gives you like multiple follow through options with all RAM accessories.

RAM Though-Claw

Also saw these passing by somewhere on the forum, if you want to mount an accessory on the handle bars.

M8 handlebar ball mount

And the out of the box idea, the Chesty from GoPro. you mount it on the front of your torso:

GoPro Chesty

Edited by ludo_the_genius

• Moderators

I swear by this chin mount, ideal vantage point for footage in my opinion. Wore it through a few different rallies this summer, didn't budge. Strong enough to clamp to anything else on the bike as well.

1-Gripper_ORANGE_Main-2.jpg

The multisport, action camera Gripper Mount from Dango Design, is the most versatile GoPro® camera mount on the market.

• Like 4

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Moderators

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, ludo_the_genius said:

Wow, @Ol'crazy and you never lost your GoPro/cam? Like the cam never came of your bike? I'm sure when I do this, ten meters out and I've lost it already.

No, I have never lost my camera with that grip. I use a piece of a tire chamber to make the grip stronger and I have had no problems.
You can also hold it, as @Landshark says, a rope so as not to lose it if it comes loose.

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2021 at 9:48 AM, Ol'crazy said:

forot-1.jpg

forot-2.jpg

I'm a sucker for buying fancy things to do simple jobs, but took a punt on this at £11.99, cut a little inner tube to add traction and tested it today. It's labelled as a backpack swivel clip.

Perfect!

The only difference, is I mounted at the bottom of the screen, just above the headlight in order to maintain a clear view without the camera in my eye line.

Plus, the mount has an arm which offers 360 degree rotation, so can clip to a helmet, or anything else too.

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 1

How do you intend to ride the bike? Are you using other cameras? What Go pro model are you using? 

A chin mounted helmet mount provides flexibility in camera shots. You can turn your head to capture things the camera might not have in frame in a fixed position. Something very useful with newer go pros is the ability to use voice commands or one button press to record. And you can literally close one eye, and take a quick look at the framing displayed in the cameras rear screen.  This is especially useful in bright open ground sunlight. It does however, requires you to stand up to clear the windshield and dash. Sitting and recording yields, less than desirable results. Also, the camera will pickup your breathing and if you are using any device to play music in your helmet, the camera will pickup the music as well. 

Chest mounts have limited forwarded angles but provide excellent dash shots. 

You can mount the camera on the windshield, but I have experienced several instances of it shifting around in rough washboard or rocky terrain at higher speeds. Not the distraction you need during those times. But if you are on gravel roads or pavement, works good for that singular angle especially with a fish eye lens. After prolonged use in dust and sand, particles of grit get in between the clamp and the plastic and mar or scratch the windshield. 

Ram mounts I’ve used, fell off or came lose after extended periods of spirited riding over rough desert terrain. I haven’t used one in years. There are other cheaper options now. 

Always tie a lanyard to your camera, but use a rubber band to keep the string out of frame. Guess how I learned this….

The Gripper Mount suggested by Tenerecanada is the best helmet mount I’ve used for a go pro on the T7.  It’s fast to set up, you can easily put it on someone else’s helmet so they can record you, or to get a different shot angle. And it’s a fast on/off the helmet so set up time is minimal. Attached is a photo of a cheaper option that works just as well, but you can’t fully close your visor. 

Others may have absolutely different needs or results with different setups, these have been solely my experiences, of course… Your Results may vary. Cheers Kavi.

58602FA5-EAD9-4B4E-A127-73E0BD42B851.png

Edited by Kavika1991
Bad grammar.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kavika1991 said:

How do you intend to ride the bike? Are you using other cameras? What Go pro model are you using? 

A chin mounted helmet mount provides flexibility in camera shots. You can turn your head to capture things the camera might not have in frame in a fixed position. Something very useful with newer go pros is the ability to use voice commands or one button press to record. And you can literally close one eye, and take a quick look at the framing displayed in the cameras rear screen.  This is especially useful in bright open ground sunlight. It does however, requires you to stand up to clear the windshield and dash. Sitting and recording yields, less than desirable results. Also, the camera will pickup your breathing and if you are using any device to play music in your helmet, the camera will pickup the music as well. 

Chest mounts have limited forwarded angles but provide excellent dash shots. 

You can mount the camera on the windshield, but I have experienced several instances of it shifting around in rough washboard or rocky terrain at higher speeds. Not the distraction you need during those times. But if you are on gravel roads or pavement, works good for that singular angle especially with a fish eye lens. After prolonged use in dust and sand, particles of grit get in between the clamp and the plastic and mar or scratch the windshield. 

Ram mounts I’ve used, fell off or came lose after extended periods of spirited riding over rough desert terrain. I haven’t used one in years. There are other cheaper options now. 

Always tie a lanyard to your camera, but use a rubber band to keep the string out of frame. Guess how I learned this….

The Gripper Mount suggested by Tenerecanada is the best helmet mount I’ve used for a go pro on the T7.  It’s fast to set up, you can easily put it on someone else’s helmet so they can record you, or to get a different shot angle. And it’s a fast on/off the helmet so set up time is minimal. Attached is a photo of a cheaper option that works just as well, but you can’t fully close your visor. 

Others may have absolutely different needs or results with different setups, these have been solely my experiences, of course… Your Results may vary. Cheers Kavi.

58602FA5-EAD9-4B4E-A127-73E0BD42B851.png

Good information for a Go-Pro newbie.  Thanks for that.  I'm hoping to do a bit of video myself so y0ur advice is perfect.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1