Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Reckless 80L review

Hello fellow riders, 

After a lot of shopping and brain storming I finally decided to buy the Reckless 80L for my moto camping trips. I did a 10000km roadtrip in the USA where I spent 50% camping and 50% in hotels this summer.

First off my rear rack is a SW-Motech ADV Rack  (GPT.06.799.19000/B).

I received the package from Mosko Moto fairly quickly and everything was there. With the help of their youtube video, I was able to put everything together without any major issue. The pocket extensions were a bit more difficult to install but it might be a user issue.

Strapping the Reckless 80L on my T7 was so easy and quick. Once I got the hang of it, I would say I could do it in 120 seconds. When I was sleeping in hotels I would take everything out. Once the dry bags were out, I could unstrap the Reckless 80L in 60 seconds. So all in all its easy and fast to put in or out.

I was riding pretty loaded with my full camping gear and everything stayed in place. I did some offroad trail but nothing dramatic and the balance was great!

The top compartment is so useful. Its the great place to put extra layers you might need sush as a rain coat. I could also strap an extra small backpack and a camping chair at the top.

I got the pocket extensions and there are a must if you ask me. Its such a great place to have easy access to rain pants, store flipflop, water bottle and most importantly BEER. You can fit 2 big cans of beer per pocket.

The dry bags are robust and will keep your stuff dry. I rode for 2 full 7h days in pouring rain and everything stayed dry(I wasn't). There's some cosmetic scratches on my dry bags after my long trip but it still feel solid and waterproof.

I would recommend the Reckless 80L for those who do moto camping or for those who pack way more stuff than they need.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

t7.thumb.jpg.0ee153b400f72adc4241ac64bf8b4563.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Am looking at this product as well but I have the camel adv high exhaust.  Haven’t been able to find anyone else with that exhaust and this to confirm if it works or not.  Hoping you or someone else can chime in. 

24 minutes ago, IYELLALOT said:

Am looking at this product as well but I have the camel adv high exhaust.  Haven’t been able to find anyone else with that exhaust and this to confirm if it works or not.  Hoping you or someone else can chime in. 

If i remember correctly Cory from Camel ADV posted a picture that it works just fine but i can tell you also even though i don't have a Camel high exhaust.
It will work with almost every exhaust and funny enough at least one exhaust it doesn't work with is an OEM (don't know what bike it was) and that was not because of the position but how hot that became. With an aftermarket on that same bike it was no problem, just add the heat shield which comes with the bags.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray Ride4life said:

If i remember correctly Cory from Camel ADV posted a picture that it works just fine but i can tell you also even though i don't have a Camel high exhaust.
It will work with almost every exhaust and funny enough at least one exhaust it doesn't work with is an OEM (don't know what bike it was) and that was not because of the position but how hot that became. With an aftermarket on that same bike it was no problem, just add the heat shield which comes with the bags.

Thanks man, appreciate the response.  Did you find that the 80l was too large or that it was kinda hindering your standing/sitting position?   My first adventure bike and unsure with what size to get. 

Just now, IYELLALOT said:

Thanks man, appreciate the response.  Did you find that the 80l was too large or that it was kinda hindering your standing/sitting position?   My first adventure bike and unsure with what size to get. 

Depends.
For daily use and trips without camp gear i have the R40 and for long trips the R80 but i have a complete arsenal Mosko gear. I have 2 bikes. On my Honda Crosstourer i have the Backcountry V2 35L panniers and for the T7 i have the R40 and R80 plus the Hood tankbag for quick access to camera gear and papers (ferry and borders). On the back i have options, in that department i have the Scout 60 and 30L duffels and the Stinger 22 and 8L bags.
The 60 is for the CT only, with the R80 i can choose between the 30, 22 and 8 and with the R40 the 22 or 8.
For daily use i think the 80 is a bit large but when you don't have the means to buy 2 sets it's not too large.
This is the setup with the R40 with the stinger 22 and the Hood tankbag.
IMG_20220403_104520_modified.jpg.bed620118f8384627462631c88621ef8.jpg

IMG_20220403_104535_modified.jpg.bbf10eef9d46176cc4d0757fbb1d1a7f.jpg

Don't have a picture yet with the R80.

7 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Depends.
For daily use and trips without camp gear i have the R40 and for long trips the R80 but i have a complete arsenal Mosko gear. I have 2 bikes. On my Honda Crosstourer i have the Backcountry V2 35L panniers and for the T7 i have the R40 and R80 plus the Hood tankbag for quick access to camera gear and papers (ferry and borders). On the back i have options, in that department i have the Scout 60 and 30L duffels and the Stinger 22 and 8L bags.
The 60 is for the CT only, with the R80 i can choose between the 30, 22 and 8 and with the R40 the 22 or 8.
For daily use i think the 80 is a bit large but when you don't have the means to buy 2 sets it's not too large.

That R40 with the 22 stinger looks like the perfect size setup for anything I would get into.  The gf has a v strom with hard luggage cases so between the two there wouldn’t be lack of storage.  You definitely have a nice bike/setup. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/18/2022 at 10:06 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

Depends.

i know i'm kinda late to the topic, i got the rackless 80 with hoops (Cleat Kit) and I was wondering checking your picture, that you mounted them on the frame covers? could you please take a closer shot how you mounted them? did you just drill a hole through?

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, izkino said:

i know i'm kinda late to the topic, i got the rackless 80 with hoops (Cleat Kit) and I was wondering checking your picture, that you mounted them on the frame covers? could you please take a closer shot how you mounted them? did you just drill a hole through?

Sadly Ray passed away last July, but I think I can answer your question.  A lot of R80 users utilize the pillion pegs mount to secure the holster straps, but as to your specific question,  I believe the hole in the frame cover will require a spacer of some sort to mount your cleat to. If the covers are just drilled through, I wouldn't think the plastic material would hold up to much tension if your crank down the tension on the holster straps.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

9 hours ago, AZJW said:

Sadly Ray passed away last July, but I think I can answer your question.  A lot of R80 users utilize the pillion pegs mount to secure the holster straps, but as to your specific question,  I believe the hole in the frame cover will require a spacer of some sort to mount your cleat to. If the covers are just drilled through, I wouldn't think the plastic material would hold up to much tension if your crank down the tension on the holster straps.

oh my god, that's so sad to hear. i'm sorry, i didn't know. that's what i though, i removed the pillion pegs, and mosko cleat is m6 hole with m6 screws as on the T7 it's M8, i think i'll just drill a bigger hole into the cleat and it's going to work fine in the pillion pegs position