Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Another New One...

Burnsey

Hi all,

My new Tenere 700 arrives at the weekend, so joined to get some useful information and tips.

I've had BMW GS bikes for over a decade now and tend to cover miles either green laning or travelling around France and Spain, usually twice a year. I've recently found the 1250 a very big lump, so recently sold it, having covered only 3,000 miles. So, what to get...

I was pretty convinced I was going to go for an Africa Twin Adventure Sport, but came to my senses, as it is quite tall and virtually the same weight as a GS. 

So, I decided the Tenere 700 would do everything I like to do and visited a local dealer on Monday. Debated the colour choice for a while, eventually going red, or Competition White in the UK, plus some little extras - proper bash plate, engine bars, rad guard, Rally tail tidy and LED indicators. I've also ordered a Quadlock, Camel anti-wobble bars, screen protector and some Kriega luggage loops. I want handguards and particularly Acerbis, but can't decide which colour yet.

Unlike most of the suppliers, also got a healthy discount for a brand new bike, which was a bonus and the accessories fitted for free.

Anyway, a couple of days in and although the forum isn't massively busy, some old posts have helped a great deal, so thanks!

I know we have all seen them before, but this is the showroom demo bike. First job will be to remove that reflector.

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by Burnsey
Photo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DuncMan said:

Mine will arrive this weekend, too. Already got plenty of mods to fit once it's in my workshop. 

spacer.png

Good isn't it!

I'm a well known farkler, but taking my time on the mods. Decided against the easy Akrapovic and will take some time to consider a few options. Not a fan of the wrap around type way of securing end cans, as my last one rubbed and looked tatty after a few rides, so that will be a consideration.

No centre stand either for me and went to buy assuming I would need the low seat, but the standard works.I prefer a one piece, but will scrub off 600 miles and have a fiddle come first service.

Hand guards are between Acerbis and BB,but need to ascertain if I can retain bar weights with the Acerbis and then just red, white or black to decide...

3 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Yeah, the Akro exhaust came with the bike. Dealer had mounted it. I could have gotten a decent discount by allowing him to replace with the original can but decided I quite liked the look and sound. Saved me spending hours researching alternatives, too. I'm 5'10" and my heels are about 10mm off the ground with the standard seat so I opted for the 18mm lowering kit just get my feet flat either side. Really don't want to degrade the comfort even more by using the low seat. I did order a Touratech one piece comfort seat but they can't deliver for 3 months so I've cancelled it and will see how I get on with the stock seat.

Have gone with BB hand guards. One thing I always replace is the clutch/brake levers. I've adjustable ones on the way. Also decided I'd like the bars raised just a tad so have the OEM risers in the workshop waiting. Extension rear brake pedal is a must for me, as are larger foot pegs. Have ordered the rally footpegs from Radan and made them and shipped them today. They'll be a big improvement. Few other bits arriving but I want to ride it a while before messing any more with it. It's easy to buy a bunch of stuff because others have but half of what's stuffed on these bikes is cosmetic and not really needed. I like mods that really improve the ride rather than the looks and if it then looks better that's a bonus.

Sounds good and yes, agree I do like the Akra, but even with a haggle, have other things in front of it in the mod queue.

The lowering kit is likely something I will look at too, but just want to have a ride and suss it out first.

Go on then, tell me, what colour BarkBusters 😂

Oh and I ordered the tank pad because it was cheap and looked good for OEM.

44 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Well, mine is a different colour to yours so I went with the black. I think if I had yours I'd probably still go for black but it would be a toss up between black and blue as the blue would pick up the small amount of blue you have on the tank. Red would be overpowering with all the other red and white would soon look like crap as they dirtied and scratched. So 1 Black - 2 Blue. Well, you did ask.. 😆 I'm also a photographer so I'm visually minded and really have to slap myself to stop adding cosmetic mods. I have allowed myself one, though.. These were too much for my brain to resist on my blue.

Stickers 3D Guards Side 02 Compatible with Yamaha Tenere 700 2019 Blue : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Stickers 3D Guards Side 03 Compatible with Yamaha Tenere 700 2019 Blue : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Blue - noooooooo!

(no blue on the white/red bike)

I am currently black with white writing.Had white on a Rallye GS and swapped them day one for black and the red is, as you say overkill. Black it is then, thanks!

I like those stickers,but for mine, likely the OEM tank knee pads, but not grabbed them yet.

It's frustrating with all the bits landing and no bike 😂

6 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Oh yes, very frustrating! Teeth marks on the loo door frustrating! 😳

Black is the way to go! I've gone black with black writing on mine but either would look good. Chuck some pics up and don't forget to order the kickstand extension foot! 😆

HaHa. I am hoping to do without the foot, but it is a usual addition and would be the OEM one.

Here's the handguards - there isn't a black/black, but like the white as they make a subtle impact, but not as much as all white...

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 18.05.06.png

Edited by Burnsey

If you go with the BarkBuster ones you have the black/black option.

Yes, just fancy a change and quite like the profile and design to be honest.

• Like 1

Only thing to consider is if the brake/clutch lever upgrades work with the hand guards. My combo I'm told work ok. We'll soon find out.

Pretty sure they will considering the supplied levers are pretty lumpy and dull.Let me know.

Welcome Burnsey.

If you do decide to go for a lowering kit, I'd recommend the RallyRaid 20mm kit. Excellent quality and much cheaper than Yamaha's offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerjohn said:

Welcome Burnsey.

If you do decide to go for a lowering kit, I'd recommend the RallyRaid 20mm kit. Excellent quality and much cheaper than Yamaha's offer.

I've already booked it in to be fair, but thanks for the heads up!