Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First bike new rider

Husk

Folks please help

im getting a T7 after reading all the great reviews. I’m investing in a bike for budget reasons. Would anybody please shed some light on maintenance costs. Like what percentage of maintenance can I learn to do myself and what maintenance should be done by a certified mechanic. Thank you

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Husk

Here's my costs ( minus fuel, averaging 50 mpg) and all maintenance completed myself.  Costs are not typical as I changed out tires before they were worn out looking for better dirtability plus a new rear spring that you might not need.  So if you subtract out the $388 & $150 tire costs, mine works out to $321.04 / 6283 miles or $0.051 per mile.

Most routine maintenance procedures are easily accomplished by the owner, depending on your mechanical aptitude.  Don't be reluctant to work on your own bike,  it only helps you understand why things work the way they do and can help you be more self reliant if you need to fix something out in the sticks out of cell phone range. Lots of Tech tips on this forum to guide you through maintaining your T7, along with a vast knowledge base of forum members. 

26   7/24/2020 Eng Oil & Filter Change 2.6 qt Yam 10W-40 600 $37.71
26   7/25/2020 Reset all suspension to OEM OC  
300   7/29/2020 Lubed chain ( every 300 mi.)    
600   8/8/2020 Eng Oil & Filter Change 2 qt. 22 oz.Yam Syn 10W-40 4,000 $37.71
728   8/12/20 Installed Uni main & pre air filter OC $85.00
1058   9/3/2020 New rear 90nm spring OC $95.00
1058   9/3/20 greased link bolts ( dry from factory) 12,000  
3280   4/1/21 New MotoZ RallyZ OC $388.00
3994   5/25/21 pulled MotoZ front, installed Dunlop Trailmax Mission OC $150.00
4057   5/27/2021 New rear pads Galfer FD165- G1054 OC $25.00
4188   6/1/2021 Serviced pre-air filter. Main was clean OC  
4289   6/3/21 Eng Oil & Filter Change 2qt. 600ml Yam Semi Syn10w-50 8,000 $40.62
6283   9/9/21 rear RallZ @ 3003 miles, center lug. 330" (8.4mm)    
        Total $859.04

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Don’t forget to download the maintenance manual that’s bouncing around here somewhere. A lot of jobs can be done without too much mechanical knowledge if you follow the manual slowly, double checking everything before you crack on. It’s a reliable engine so doesn’t need much. Cleaning and lubrication often goes a long way for any machine. Bikes, cars, guns, tractors. Put a Scottoiler on and you’ll hardly ever replace a chain. 
lube. Lube. Lube. 👍🍺

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Husk said:

Folks please help

im getting a T7 after reading all the great reviews. I’m investing in a bike for budget reasons. Would anybody please shed some light on maintenance costs. Like what percentage of maintenance can I learn to do myself and what maintenance should be done by a certified mechanic. Thank you

With the correct tools in hand, you will be able to do all the maintenance.  If you have a socket and wrench set, oil, oil filter, chain lube, loctite and other small products you can do the maintenance.  Waaaaay less expensive than the bike shop.  

Repairs may be different.  Depending on room in the garage assuming you have one, you'll need a few more tools like a bike lift of sorts and torque wrenches etc. etc.  

The beauty of maintaining and repairing your own bike is the knowledge you'll learn and apply to road/trail side repairs where no quick help exists.  Not to mention the feeling of accomplishment after you successfully maintain your own bike.

• Like 1

I really appreciate the feedback here gentlemen. I’ll be coming into 10 grand next month so the plan is to own the bike outright. 

I also forgot to mention that this will be a street commuter bike for me so mostly paved roads. 

• Like 2