Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Squeaking noise?!

Wushuplayer

Question

Hi guys,

Please help! I was getting ready to leave on a UK tour. Fully loaded my bike, soft panniers, roll top bag and crash bar bags, probably totalling 60kg, + 75kg(me).

I have started to get a squeaking noise, like when rubbing 2 bits of polystyrene foam together intermittently on braking, leaning (especially to the right), some times at slow speed.

I tried removing all the luggage but it was still there.

I thought it might go away but produced a constant squeal when on the motorway (highway) at 70mph, stopped for a little while when came to a stop, then started again after some time. An hour into the journey, I had to turn around and go back home, feeling very sorry for myself with my T7 between my legs!

I have lowered the bike with the Rally Raid 20mm lowering links.

I've tried:

• checking for loose bolts
  • increasing compression on  rear preload
  • cleaning front and rear brakes
  • reducing chain tension, as was quite tight with increased load

I am all out of ideas!

I would be so grateful if any of you have had this experience and know how to fix it!

Thanks in advance.

12 answers to this question

Let's start with getting the rear wheel off the ground without all the luggage and such.  Turn the rear wheel in the direction it should go and see if you can identify the squeak if heard.  Check the rear wheel for proper alignment while you're down there.  If that's all good do the same with the front wheel.  The chain seems to jump into my thinking in that it should be well oiled and at the correct tension.  Do you suspect the chain and or sprockets to be worn?  Take a peak and decide.  I personally wouldn't adjust the chain after I put all my gear on as well.  Also check for bearing trouble on those wheels but if it's a newer bike I bet they are OK.  

Start with that and let us know what you find if anything.

Good luck. 🤕

Edited by Landshark
  • Like 1

I've checked both front and rear wheels. Chain and sprockets are good, the bike is 3 months old and done about 2500 miles, only road riding.

I've taken it to a Yamaha, will see what they say.

• Like 1

I bought my T7 in August, I noticed a squeaking noise in the first 100 miles of riding. It was coming from the from the front only when going at a decent speed when leaning or hitting bumps. I felt like it was the breaks rubbing, I adjusted the front break lever so it doesn't bite as quick and it seems to have stopped, though, at times I swear I still hear it. It was very frustrating. I'm curious to see what your dealer says. 

What about the suspension linkages? Any bushes damaged or misfitted with the lowering links? Or spacers missing? Linkages may be binding. 

Turns out it was the bolt on the front axle was just slightly loose. Needed half a turn more. I had loosened it so it wasn't factory tight for when  I had to replace the tyre tube! I obviously didn't tighten it enough.

Self inflicted. 

• Like 5

@Wushuplayer Oops... we have all been there! Thanks for closure on the issue. Too many people would have not owned up to the mistake and just left all of us wonder what happened... 

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

How did you trouble shoot this and finally get to tightening the axle bolt?

The mechanic put the bike up,  checked the bearings and that the seals weren't dry.  Checked the wheel alignment and found there was some play when trying to move the wheel laterally. He un did the pinch bolts and put the wrench in and found it to be every so slightly loose!

Was very embarrassing 😳  as only the night before I checked the same axle bolt but didn't undo the pinch bolts 1st!

• Like 1

Great outcome just the same.  That squeak can drive a guy into the loony bin.  It's kinda like spending money on a mental health check up.  🤣