Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

USB Power Socket

WRXer

I am going to add a USB power socket to the right side of the bike.  I would like one with a blue voltage display & that I DON'T have to enlarge the hole.  The hole measures 27.97 mm or 1.1 inch.  I found this USB socket on EBAY & it says it is 1.13" & it is not clear if that includes the threads or just the main body.  Anyone know of one that fits without enlarging the hole?

s-l400.jpg

Specifications: Material: Aluminum alloy Dual USB interface, voltage detection, good compatibility QC3.0 Qucik Charge With waterproof cap Voltage LED Digital Display Built-in short-circuit protection of over-current and over-voltage...

I have one of these installed on the right hand side after removing the blanking plug:

The good is that it fits without having to enlarge the hole, it just screws in. It even installed without having to take off the headlight shroud etc.

The bad, you can't install the screw nut on the back until you take off the headlight shroud but it is secure without it.

Mine is wired into the 15amp accessories wiring which comes on and off with the ignition.

The problem with that is the on/off switch on the unit (on the right of the voltage in the picture) which means you have to remember to turn it on.

Hope it helps.

It's a perfect fit. I personally had to run a sharp knife through the hole to remove a slight burr from the injection moulding process for it to be rotated into position. The securing nut/ring could be left out as stated, pulling out the usb cable does not put much force on the socket. I did mount the nut on anyway. A little OCD never did any harm ;-).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the one from my original link.  Enlarged hole slightly--could not tell if looking at it.  Wired it up to the right aux 2 pin spot with a plug in connector off ebay.  Voltage reads blue.  Looks good on right side.

• 5 months later...
On 10/26/2021 at 3:55 AM, WRXer said:

I installed the one from my original link.  Enlarged hole slightly--could not tell if looking at it.  Wired it up to the right aux 2 pin spot with a plug in connector off ebay.  Voltage reads blue.  Looks good on right side.

What type of plug connector do I need to do a copy cat?

On 10/25/2021 at 8:55 PM, WRXer said:

Do you have a picture of the install and what you used to wire up to the aux?I

• 1 year later...
On 10/5/2021 at 11:51 PM, Wizbang said:

I have one of these installed on the right hand side after removing the blanking plug:

The good is that it fits without having to enlarge the hole, it just screws in. It even installed without having to take off the headlight shroud etc.

The bad, you can't install the screw nut on the back until you take off the headlight shroud but it is secure without it.

Mine is wired into the 15amp accessories wiring which comes on and off with the ignition.

The problem with that is the on/off switch on the unit (on the right of the voltage in the picture) which means you have to remember to turn it on.

Hope it helps.

I installed the same one last night.  I removed the bodywork to be able to get to the underside and install the retaining nut.  I used a  #9 Unibit stepper clamped in a pair of vice grips to take a fraction of an inch out of the existing blank hole on the right side of the dash.  That allowed me to rotate the charger and cinch it down with the nut.  I ordered a T7 aux wiring pigtail off Ebay and soldered in the connections with some shrink tube to waterproof the connections.   Not a bad time.  Took a couple hours start to finish with interruptions.  The USB port was $15 bucks on Amazon and the wiring adapter $14 from Ebay.

Edited by T7ADV