Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Adventure Spec rear rack and rackless luggage compatibility

Camstyn

Hey all, wondering what other users are running in conjunction with their AS rear rack. I’m currently using a Tusk Excursion setup (15/15/10L) and it works great, but wish I were able to mount it to fit underneath the high rails of the AS rack as opposed to it being slung overtop. It ties down nicely, I just feel that the placement is pretty high and farther back than ideal.

I’m interested in the Mosko R80, which I assume I will have the same issue with, and the Kriega OS-Base with 3x OS-18’s.

The Kriega looks like the universal base may fit under / through the side rails if moved back a little farther than normal, whereas most pics show it covering the front two mounting points. I realize the trade-off would be that the whole kit wouldn’t quickly come off the bike like normal, the bags would have to be removed first which depending on how they are secured, could be a pain in the butt.

Another option is mounting detachable bags such as the OS-18’s directly to the AS side guards. I’ve seen a pic of this done, but wonder how securely they attach and if that is also a pain in the butt.

The last option is to just swap the AS rear rack for a low one that doesn’t have the grab rails beside the seat, such as the B&B, and then any rackless setup should have no issues with fitment / compatibility.

Anyone else struggled with this? What did you end up going with?

Here’s a pic to show what I’m talking about. There’s no way that the large Tusk base will slide under the side rails of the AS rack, so everything has to sit above it. It works fine, but it bothers my OCD, would like a cleaner fit / look.

the side bags are also permanently attached to the base, so I can’t just ditch the base and strap the bags directly to the side guards.

EF241E45-D4B7-4483-8032-404822CAC313.jpeg

433844CC-9925-46EE-ADFF-775E589E52B6.jpeg

Edited by Camstyn
  • Like 1

I'll buy those AS side racks if you want to get rid of them.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

6 minutes ago, BADDANDY said:

I'll buy those AS side racks if you want to get rid of them.

I definitely want to keep the side racks, it’s the rear rack that has the integrated high side rails which cause compatibility issues with the designed proper fitment of the rackless setups.

1 hour ago, Camstyn said:

I definitely want to keep the side racks, it’s the rear rack that has the integrated high side rails which cause compatibility issues with the designed proper fitment of the rackless setups.

I run the Mosko R80 over the AS Rear Rack, no issues at all. It sets up perfectly, and on the road it's 100%.

Very happy that I waited for the R80's, they'll last a Lifetime.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thepointchris said:

I run the Mosko R80 over the AS Rear Rack, no issues at all. It sets up perfectly, and on the road it's 100%.

Very happy that I waited for the R80's, they'll last a Lifetime.

Can you post some pics of how it looks mounted? Interested how the base fits over the rack compared to mine..

10 minutes ago, Camstyn said:

Can you post some pics of how it looks mounted? Interested how the base fits over the rack compared to mine..

@Camstyn I have a trip coming up in a few weeks, I'll post pics of the set-up, loaded and unloaded. I can add that I like the rear bias of AS/R80 combo, it keeps the seating nice and open. Good for moving around, mounting dis-mounting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burnsey said:

AltRider Rear Luggage Rack for the Yamaha Tenere 700

I was thinking of this and the AS side racks.

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 19.22.16.png

I like that, would like to stick with aluminum to keep the weight of the bike down. One of the main benefits of these rackless setups.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Camstyn said:

Darn

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Mind sharing more your experience with the Excursions?  I've considered the R40 setup but pricing vs my frequency of use doesn't make much sense.  

I have the Tusk rear rack on my bike which sets pretty low.  The bars are also down low close to bodywork which I don't think would mess with the base of the excursion too much.