Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM heated grip wiring

JFB700

Question

Hello, 

I just installed the OEM heated grip on my T7. Thanks to all the great videos online I was able to remove and install the heated grips. I was hoping to connect the heated grip to the connector on the right side of the bike.

The wire provided with the heated grip is made to connect to the battery, not the connector. I looked online and it seems that there's no wire that exist that can link the heated grip to the bike connector. I saw that you can make it yourself with a sumitomo mt 090 3-pin 2.3mm but I'm unable to find that part in canada. 

Question 1

Is there a wire I can buy that can link the heated grip to the bike connector?

Question 2

If I decide to use the provided wire to connect directly to the battery, whats the best path? Anywhere I need to avoid? 

Thank you

5 answers to this question

• Moderators
  • Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Seems odd that the OEM Heated Grips aren't plug-n-play, but I suppose it's meant to be installed by an authorized dealer.

I found the Sumitomo MT 090-3-pin 2.3mm Male/Female connector at Summit Racing in the US. I expect you can find the same thing at a Canadian supplier. The whole plug is provided on the bike except for the metal ends that connect to the wires. I bought a few plug kits to make sure I had everything, redundantly. A proper crimper helps to make a neat job but you should be able to get by with lesser tools.

Get a few "spares" and leave enough wire to try again in case the first crimp attempt isn't good. 

Sumitomo - HM Sealed(Mounting Bracket type) and MT Sealed type Connectors for .090 - 2.3mm Terminal. These Connector s are used highly on Throttle position sensors, Neutral Switch, Cam and Crank Shaft Position...

Edited by Boondocker
word
  • Like 1

You can buy the adapter plug pre made or buy the plug and wire it yourself like I did. 
It’s pretty easy, all I used was a needle nosed pliers to make the crimps. 

• Like 1

I bought the OEM yamaha harness from Europe & ate the shipping to the US.  You can order the connector & make your own or I am sure someone makes one & sells it one ebay.  Mine is hooked into the right shroud connector.

• Like 1