Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Maiden Voyage!

Burnsey

Didn't know quite where to post this, but a little past a newbie, thought I'd stick it here.

That said, it's nothing exciting, just a photo from my very first ride.

Bought the Tenere blind after selling my 1250GS.Went to pick it up and due to contaminated fuel, it stopped after a few hundred yards, so back to the dealer and they delivered it the following day after flushing the tank, replacing filters etc. Then I went mad on the internet and bought the farkles, which are all now fitted apart from the Kriega OS12 bags, screen protector and a little sticker kit I've ordered.

Not the warmest of days, but managed 50 miles on back roads and a two mile blast on a dual carriageway to get it up to 80mph and see how I think it will fare getting to the ferry etc. No off-road tracks yet, I just wanted to get a feel for the bike.

So, did I do the right thing?

I love it, but yes,it is different to a GS. Feels higher up when riding, but comfortable. I felt some vibration in the footrests, but none from the bars. Maybe I will add 20mm bar risers, not sure yet. Found 2nd to 3rd and down again a little clunky, but used to gear assist, I need to remember to use my clutch! Feels much lighter, but it is.

Not sure on seat comfort just yet, but don't tend to do over 200 mile days, so will decide after the first short tour.

Happy with the installed kit and don't expect to 'need' anything else now.

Thanks for all the initial advice and tips too!!

Unknown-1.jpeg

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 3

On the sheepie, no, it stays as it is. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Think I'll try cool covers first to be honest.

I really want a Rally seat, but the extra height will kill me, but never tried a gel seat or anything other than stock in all my years, but my butt says I should...

Thanks for the link. The problem is, I can never work out what I should ask for 🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Yeah, I don’t have the inside leg for a rally seat either. The gel pad seems to work a treat under the sheepie. Might be worth a go, mate. Only £15 off Amazon and doesn’t actually need  to be glued in place. I’m actually considering installing 40mm lowering links on mine. I have the OEM 18mm ones on there now. Will need a shorter side stand too tho.

Well, not done many miles, so will see how things go. Until I go touring I'm not too stressed. I was certainly fine today after 50 miles.

I find you have to get used to a bike first. I felt I may need bar risers, just 20mm perhaps, but then again I'm not sure. I have the standard OEM lowering links and I don't want to go anymore to be honest.

I am going to email the chap in your link and enquire if he could get comfort and maybe a little lower on our seat, which would kill those two birds with one stone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DuncMan said:

Yeah good shout. Please let me know what he says. You talked about a ferry in your first post. Which ferry? Or are you planning a specific tour that requires a ferry. I’m planning a tour next year myself, probably down to southern Spain via the Pyrenees. I live in the Isle of Wight so ferries are always a part of life. Where are you based?

Of course I'll report back when he replies.

I'm north west uk, so not being a fan of overnight ferries, we tend to do the Eurotunnel these days (sorry, ferry was a mistake, although we do use it) and get into France and go from there.

My mate has a place in Southern Spain, so it is a trade off - ferry cost/time, versus tyres and petrol, but I am a massive fan of riding in France. He moans  because everything is dear compared to Spain. We both hate the slof to the tunnel,so tend to go early and then ride a few hours on the other side until we're tired,then plan the stayover using a hotel app and away we go. Tend to do two nights in France before entering Spain and then another night or two depending on our mood.

Sometimes we will go to his place, sometimes not. All we know when we set off is how many days roughly we have and play it by ear. 

For a quick jaunt we pop north up to Scotland and catch the 4 hour ferry to Belfast, then get over to the west coast. Love it, but the weather is crap 365 days a year.

• Like 1

Just now, DuncMan said:

I used to live in Mijas Pueblo for several years. Now I have a 13 y/o son and want to take him to some of the 40+ countries I’ve lived in over the years. Need to open his eyes to a world outside the island and UK. I travel just like you. A basic plan but then just ad lib it. I learnt early on that a good trip is not getting from a to b, it’s what happens in between a and b.

The Tenere for me is the end of a journey. Started with 'all the gear- no idea' and had to plan my trips with precision, carrying five times my bodyweight in gear,using motorways and tolls galore!

Fancy GS gone, max 25L luggage, as few main roads as the route permits and only plan the day when I wake up.

It is a great place to be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Yeah it’s the only way to do it. Stress free and just enjoy the moment mate. 👍 Gimme a shout if you ever get down my way. A coffee, chat and a ride around the island would be freely provided. 

I did Cowes week a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the place, although not sure I saw much of it because of the free ale 😆

Will give you a nudge when we plan the next jaunt and see how you're fixed.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 4:41 PM, Hammerhead said:

Bloody sheep are just flocking to the forum lately.…Br-a-a-a-a-p!

I was converted after I bought an R1200R many years ago. BMW's trick was to fit the standard bike with what felt like a plank of wood, then offer owners the opportunity to buy a 'comfort seat' for an extra £450. Then I discovered Lambland and problem solved for £15. My faithful sheepie has followed me on several bikes since then - now sits on my Tenere, still doing a fine job.  I'm done with the 'comfort seat' scam.

Baa, baaa, baaaa!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tigerjohn said:

I was converted after I bought an R1200R many years ago. BMW's trick was to fit the standard bike with what felt like a plank of wood, then offer owners the opportunity to buy a 'comfort seat' for an extra £450. Then I discovered Lambland and problem solved for £15. My faithful sheepie has followed me on several bikes since then - now sits on my Tenere, still doing a fine job.  I'm done with the 'comfort seat' scam.

Baa, baaa, baaaa!

I've ordered a 'cool cover' too, just to see how that works.

5 hours ago, Burnsey said:

I've ordered a 'cool cover' too, just to see how that works.

Not disappointed with mine. Minor comfort upgrade & the air conditioning is real.

I’ve added some closed cell foam under the stock upholstery in attempt to improve comfort & height to get more forward off roading. Reasonably successful on both accounts. Only issue being, it was black foam that created heat problems (actually an improvement in the cooler seasons too) Cool cover definitely solved the summer but boil created by my mods.

• Like 1

Real sheepskin big enough for full seat, £20, IKEA. 🐑🤘.  Use fit for a few years on the 1vj. Pillow for the tent. And an awesome addition to a camping chair. Down the jacket in sub zero rides.
And you could probably get two to make chaps like Dan Akroyd used, when you get to the rally  😂🍺