Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hello from Utah

Splix

Just picked up a Tenere 700. After many hours searching I found one in Ashton, ID that was available for purchase. A long day on the road for almost 10 hours to pickup the bike, but it was worth it.

My bike is bone stock, however I plan to add crash bars and pick up some universal saddle bags. I hope to add more and more mods over time, but after buying the bike my fun money account is a wee bit lower than I like it, so just the essentials for now.

I plan to head out into the desert this weekend, and I can't wait to see how this bike does off road. Not targeting single track on my first trip, just unpaved roads, maybe a 4x4 trail or two, but nothing too extreme. I have not ridden often in the better part of 20 years.

tenere700.png

• Like 4

Welcome to the Ténéré 700 world! I think you'll find the bike most agreeable.

Whereabouts in the great state of Utah are you?

Congrats  Splix!

Californian here, picked mine up in June - now 4000M in, and loving it. The crowd here are a fun lot and SUPER knowledgable. I’ll be venturing out to Utah before long, I know.

Have fun, be safe.

Chris

Edited by thepointchris
typo

@Splix

Congratulations, I know you will enjoy your new toy.

My wife and I love our T7's, Utah is such a great place to ride, although we are starting to see snow at our house, as long as the roads are clear we just dress for it and in less than an hour can be at lower elevations and pleasant riding so the number of days we miss riding in the winter aren't bad. 

If you are lucky enough to get much dirt riding in you may look at changing that front tire, there are many options that really improve how planted the front end is in the loose stuff.

Stay safe, have fun. 

Welcome @Splix.  Enjoy the forum and post often.  That bike is so new.  I had mine on some long stretches of mud/gravel roads yesterday and now it's not shiny anymore.  Have fun!

• Like 1

I tried to get out yesterday, but after a bigger rain storm than Utah has seen in a decade, the ground was so wet and the air so cold I opted to give it a few days to dry out.

My Tusk crash bars arrived, so I will get those on and share a pic this evening.

• Like 1

once i changed my stock springs front and back, the suspension works so much better! I can n ow hammer down crappy roads and trails. I just got back from a Moab trip on dirtbikes and kept thinking how much fun the 700 would be out there! Lots of good riding in Utah for sure.

Welcome.
I have the same colour picked up almost a month ago and crashbars was the first thing i bought but it's much more controllable than the XT660Z. Had some saves i could not make with the old one but i'm sure they will be needed eventually.

6 hours ago, UtahJack said:

@Splix

Congratulations, I know you will enjoy your new toy.

My wife and I love our T7's, Utah is such a great place to ride, although we are starting to see snow at our house, as long as the roads are clear we just dress for it and in less than an hour can be at lower elevations and pleasant riding so the number of days we miss riding in the winter aren't bad. 

If you are lucky enough to get much dirt riding in you may look at changing that front tire, there are many options that really improve how planted the front end is in the loose stuff.

Stay safe, have fun. 

Thank you for the advice. I do plan on upgrading tires but  not until I have put some miles on the factory ones. I have not ridden in quite some time, and was never off road much in my prior riding setup (super bike/ninja). I am not 100% sure which tires I will go with, but I am a fan of the Pirelli offerings for  on/off road riding. A set of Scorpion MT 90 ATs would look nice on a T7.