Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

DIY front axel wrench

Toddler

I had to remove my front wheel, to install the new ABS ring, but I couldn’t find a 19mm allen socket anywhere. So headed down to Home Depot, picked up a M12 bolt at two nuts and made my own. Put the bolt head in the axel and put a 19mm wrench on the nuts,to loosen the axel put the wrench on the inner nut, to tighten the axel put the wrench in the outer nut, you can easily use a torque wrench when tightening in up too. It worked perfectly.

9594CFD4-340E-48BC-83A7-287A1B238B67.jpeg

BDC85EC9-19FA-4DD5-94C7-D2F63E6C2AAB.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Wintersdark: Your right and I will get the right tool. But that wasn’t my point of sharing this with everyone, I needed the tool right away. If someone else finds themselves stuck this idea might be helpful for them in an emergency.

I was just trying to be helpful.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Toddler said:

I was just trying to be helpful.

Improvised solutions are cool!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

It's a very good thing to be resourceful and creative but better to be prepared.
Plus for improvised tools is they're cheap and it's very fulfilling to make things with your own hands, cons are mostly the weight.

I make long travels and also by myself and tend to get myself in places where little mistakes can cause big trouble. When i have too many weight it will cost extra energy to get going and that is also the case when something breaks down and i first have to fix a tool before i can fix the problem.
But it also seems that the better you prepare the less you need it and that one thing you didn't think of will happen, yes... damn that Murphy dude so play at home to train your skills and creativity.

• 4 months later...

I made this today. For my WR250 my buddy made one by welding two bolts together. This is simple and the two nuts have good fit in the hole. 

F29416C0-8B91-4061-852C-67B0EEEB1C00.jpeg

83EB0E65-4D4B-4C66-AC32-EFAA451FCAAA.jpeg

DC299DB8-5934-4CD9-B0AF-36C5558CE55B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

You don’t need a tool. Just keep the right side pinch bolts tight when removing or tightening the axle nut. 

• Confused 1

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

19 minutes ago, Black Dog Moto said:

You don’t need a tool. Just keep the right side pinch bolts tight when removing or tightening the axle nut. 

Hmmmmm..........You might want to go look at your bike again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, williestreet said:

Hmmmmm..........You might want to go look at your bike again.

Yep, me dumb. 

• Haha 1

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

I bought the axle tools from amazon for $10. Its small enough to keep in the tool kit with my tire irons.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Love seeing DIY solutions for stuff like this!

1/2" nut coupler for $2.50 at home deput, is a 19mm hex,

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-13-tpi-Zinc-Rod-Coupling-Nuts-822301/204337404

image.png.5cae3eceeed317fd081228196716465a.png

You'll need a 19mm wrench to turn it and for that I ordered the Tusk 19mm x 27mm wrench.

I'm not positive the 27mm end will work on the axle because this wrench is flat but I'll try it.  

Edited by EverydayTenere
  • Like 1

Felt inspired to hack up a 27mm socket to see how this idea would out.  It's not pretty but works!  

I used an odd 3/4"x?? offset wrench that I didn't need and 3/4" = 19mm.  

image.png.9fa0f5bd52cf5701460b7d9fbf668379.png

15 min with the angle grinder and I cut out a dovetail to fit the wider end the wrench handle and it locks into place. 

image.png.1280a2e1ffa116e1689931ed28fd7d43.png

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 5:24 PM, Black Dog Moto said:

That trick works on an Africa Twin, not so much a T7 🙂