Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Crossbar or Handlebars?

Burnsey

So, like many new owners, I have bought allsorts of gizmo's and the most recent arrival was the Rally Raid top bar clamp. Not for any practical reason, just thought it looked cool 😂

Anyway, when I went from GS to T7, I convinced myself I was going to go back to basics and part of that was to use my phone for navigation. So far, it has worked well.

It's installed on the crossbar above the display using Quadlock and works fine, ideally landscape only, otherwise it does block part of the display. So, now I have the handlebar clamp, I could relocated it to there...

The problem is, I am used to the nav in front of me and wonder if I would find the relocation a little odd? Plus, the crossbar (to me) would look weird with nothing attached to it.

First world problem I know, but wondered why owners choose the mounting position on their nav?

t7 topclamp 1-250x250.jpeg

Edited by Burnsey

• Moderators

I've got a GPS above the dash, and my phone in the handlebar position (on a quad lock bike mount direct to bars). I often just use my phone and have no problem keeping it in view while driving. But yeah, I chose that position as my GPS is used for more technical navigation where my eyes need to be up and only down to the device for brief glances. For standard road riding I am sure the handlebar position would suit most riders fine.

IMG-6568.thumb.jpg.a088a2f9b00fd39c180571b7fdfe31fe.jpg

• Like 2

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

2 hours ago, Burnsey said:

So, like many new owners, I have bought allsorts of gizmo's and the most recent arrival was the Rally Raid top bar clamp. Not for any practical reason, just thought it looked cool 😂

Anyway, when I went from GS to T7, I convinced myself I was going to go back to basics and part of that was to use my phone for navigation. So far, it has worked well.

It's installed on the crossbar above the display using Quadlock and works fine, ideally landscape only, otherwise it does block part of the display. So, now I have the handlebar clamp, I could relocated it to there...

The problem is, I am used to the nav in front of me and wonder if I would find the relocation a little odd? Plus, the crossbar (to me) would look weird with nothing attached to it.

First world problem I know, but wondered why owners choose the mounting position on their nav?

t7 topclamp 1-250x250.jpeg

I bought my T7 used, and the PO had that same Rally Raid handlebar clamp installed along with a RAM ball for GPS mounting. I first installed my GPS in that position, but quickly found that because I've always had my GPS up high above the instruments that low position was actually a bit dangerous for me.

Mounted high, I only need to flick my eyes slightly downward to see the GPS - especially important when on unfamiliar roads and the GPS shows me an upcoming tight corner, etc. With the GPS mounted low on the RR handlebar clamp, I had to look much further down away from the road for the same info and I just couldn't get used to that position. Mounted the GPS to the crossbar just like the position on my GS, and all is well.

20210605_115818.thumb.jpg.f100d7c7139929079aed94c76b005fc2.jpg

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

I have the phone on the Nav bar. I prefer that position as it means I don’t have to keep looking down and I use the TomTom app on my phone which is exactly the same as the standard SatNav. I also looked at the RR clamp but it wouldn’t work for me practically.

By 'wouldn't work for me practically', what do you mean mate?

The clamp has no use other than to hold the handlebars?

19 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

No, it's intended for using to mount gizmos to, right? I saw a video of someone who'd attached a phone clamp to his. That's what I was considering using it for.

Got it mate.

My view, as I was ordering a few things from them,was better to have something which I 'might' need. Likely it will never see a bolt head 😆

• Haha 1

I use de crossbar for the GPS as this is the most ergonomical position.
The Rally Raid bar is good looking but also quit expensive. I am looking into options for a RAM ballmount for the Quick grip i have for the phone which i have mounted at that place on longer trips for quick access to make pictures or to use additional apps like booking.com or Maps.me  for things Garmin or the in the Zümo XT integrated iOverlander can't help me with.
The stupid bridge between the lower OEM risers make it impossible to use the RAM mount from the XT660Z.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I use de crossbar for the GPS as this is the most ergonomical position.
The Rally Raid bar is good looking but also quit expensive. I am looking into options for a RAM ballmount for the Quick grip i have for the phone which i have mounted at that place on longer trips for quick access to make pictures or to use additional apps like booking.com or Maps.me  for things Garmin or the in the Zümo XT integrated iOverlander can't help me with.
The stupid bridge between the lower OEM risers make it impossible to use the RAM mount from the XT660Z.

The product I pictured in the opening post accepts a RAM mount on the handlebars, Garmin mounts, roadbook etc.

I have a 12mm Quadlock handlebar mount on my crossbar and just ordered a 50mm extension arm, which I hope will push the phone up to clear the bike display in portrait mode and still sit behind the screen. Worth the gamble for £7.99.

I am very satisfied the Quadlock is THE best option for phone on crossbar, as the vibration dampener, wireless pad and option for landscape/portrait really provide a complete solution.

I have a BMW branded Garmin, so I bought the handlebar bracket with that and Roadbook in mind, but not invested in any specific mounts,trying to cope with one electrical item if possible,

I don't know your financial means @Burnsey and it is nothing of my concern either but i think GBP 63 for a base just to attache another part to is way to ecpensive and we sustain that prices by keep buying things that are way over-enginered to look good at place you don't really see it (When used it's covered by a phone or GPS).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Decided I need a Montana 700i for trails, so will be mounting it on the crossbar.

To be honest, even with the Quadlock Ponch0, I don't trust the phone to be completely waterproof and I don’t take calls on the bike, so phone can go in my pocket or tank bag.

Nothing wasted on Quadlock, as the mount still offers an alternative for local bimbles when Google maps will do and the wireless charging headis useful.

Edited by Burnsey
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

I love it! You just spent 600 quid to make that top bar clamp worthwhile! 🤣 

Nope, the top clamp is no use whatsoever if riding with my tank bag - can't see whatever is attached to it!

You can add stuff to raise and angle a nav unit, but that area just doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

Wanna buy one 🤣

Plus, I now need an alternative to Quadlock for the crossbar, plus a Garmin holder etc. Going to go Rally Raid again.

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 1

Just now, DuncMan said:

I'll swap you for my Puig screen! 😄

And with OS Maps and a cradle, I wish it was only 6 ton 🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DuncMan said:

I have several apps in my iPhone 11 which I think give me pretty much the same capabilities.

Same, but the dedicated units are tougher, more water resistant, better battery life etc and if my phone smashed in a fall, it would all but end my trip.

I was committed to going back to basics with the T7, but a nav unit with better satellite capabilities suits for what I want to do on the bike.

Plus, she's buying it me for Christmas - just doesn't know it yet 😆

• Haha 1

Never use the main phone for navigation if you go off the beaten path.
If you crash you can loose it or damage it and then you not only loose the navigation which can easily and cheaply back-upped by an old fashion paper map but you also loose all means of communication unless you have an expensive back up for that like an Inreach or something like it.
The latter has the advantage of not needing a cell tower but with a phone without back up it's when out of reception a matter of finding a way within reception or finding a way completely to civilisation.
When you use a phone better buy a cheap waterproof phone for that or use an old one en keep the main phone as a phone and on your body within reach wherever you and up after an involuntary dismount.