Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hordpower intake on Tenere 700

TimeMachine

Well can this be done? It seems that is can. NOTE: I haven't finished yet needing to apply a revised tune and something to support airbox so it is not just being supported by the throttle bodies and intake runners. But it is a good start.

560349032_Hord1.thumb.jpg.525693cf08ecda4b46b8c1cc0dbbc22a.jpg

2082446546_Hord2.thumb.jpg.ff5c2663228ca201ba822b8d4bd8696a.jpg

743377837_Hord3.thumb.jpg.787201b5c8fc71a72f6c0b1bd51e5fdc.jpg

Fitting was much easier than expected. The original airbox just came right out without having to remove the throttle bodies (something that is required for the MT07). The original clamps on the airbox side of the throttle bodies get reused on the hord airbox runners and there is plenty of room to fit it down between the frame rails and push the runners onto the throttle bodies. The Hord airbox rests lightly against the wiring harness on the left side just enough to require a little flex in the intake runners which might be visible in the angle of the airbox in the image above. If the harness could be moved aside a few millimetres (doubtful) then it would be a clean install. And dont worry, I did join up that vent hose at the top of the image.

As noted, the installation is not complete. The Hord airbox weighs about 900grams (the original airbox is 1200 grams) so will need something to support it to keep the weight off the throttle bodies. Hord supply a bracket but that is to suit the MT07 which has a different frame. The airbox is very nicely made too, with the baseplate being CNC machined complete with the intake trumpets. It has two small screw mounts on the top so shouldn't be too hard fabricate something.

One bonus from this is the huge gaping hole between the airbox and the battery. You can see the rear shock absorber in the picture above and there is a lot of room in the main void but also both sides of the shocky. There must be a way to make a tall box in there to hold all the tools and maybe a bottle of fuel or water.

I took it for a run this afternoon just using the original 2WDW map for my previous setup and it did feel perky, now able to run out to redline without running out of breath. I cant be sure it gained any power under 6000 (the bike already pulled pretty hard), so will wait till it has the right map applied and ride for a while before making judgement.

I did notice how easy the bike makes speed though. This happened to some degree when the first 2WDW map was applied where the bike was able to hold speed with less throttle and felt like the speed was easy. Now with this intake it seems to have found another level. The bike just purrs along at 120-130 kph with just small throttle opening, giving the sensation of easy power.  Also at low revs and just at the point of opening the throttle, the bike seems to run smoother.  

I also purchased the FTECU bike side harness, tuning cable and a licence, so will fit the 6 pin harness to the ECU tomorrow and if all goes well I'll fork out some more money to @2 Wheel DynoWorks for a map to suit the Hord airbox.

Originally I bought this thinking if it didn't fit then I would just sell it. Then I ordered an R7 and figured it would go straight onto that bike. Now I am wondering if I need to buy another airbox! Seems a waste to do that, so I will likely reach a decision point whether to keep it on the T7 and buy another Hord airbox, or switch it over to the R7 and revert the T7 back to the original airbox (or a modified version of it). The T7 was working beautifully with the previous setup and quite powerful, so this will have to be reeealllly good to keep it on there.

• Like 3

Looking great , you decided to go down the route of the airbox but for the r7 you can do the velocity stacks as that bike will never see off road 😎🏍️💨... Look forward to seeing your results... 

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
4 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Well can this be done? It seems that is can. NOTE: I haven't finished yet needing to apply a revised tune and something to support airbox so it is not just being supported by the throttle bodies and intake runners. But it is a good start.

560349032_Hord1.thumb.jpg.525693cf08ecda4b46b8c1cc0dbbc22a.jpg

2082446546_Hord2.thumb.jpg.ff5c2663228ca201ba822b8d4bd8696a.jpg

743377837_Hord3.thumb.jpg.787201b5c8fc71a72f6c0b1bd51e5fdc.jpg

Fitting was much easier than expected. The original airbox just came right out without having to remove the throttle bodies (something that is required for the MT07). The original clamps on the airbox side of the throttle bodies get reused on the hord airbox runners and there is plenty of room to fit it down between the frame rails and push the runners onto the throttle bodies. The Hord airbox rests lightly against the wiring harness on the left side just enough to require a little flex in the intake runners which might be visible in the angle of the airbox in the image above. If the harness could be moved aside a few millimetres (doubtful) then it would be a clean install. And dont worry, I did join up that vent hose at the top of the image.

As noted, the installation is not complete. The Hord airbox weighs about 900grams (the original airbox is 1200 grams) so will need something to support it to keep the weight off the throttle bodies. Hord supply a bracket but that is to suit the MT07 which has a different frame. The airbox is very nicely made too, with the baseplate being CNC machined complete with the intake trumpets. It has two small screw mounts on the top so shouldn't be too hard fabricate something.

One bonus from this is the huge gaping hole between the airbox and the battery. You can see the rear shock absorber in the picture above and there is a lot of room in the main void but also both sides of the shocky. There must be a way to make a tall box in there to hold all the tools and maybe a bottle of fuel or water.

I took it for a run this afternoon just using the original 2WDW map for my previous setup and it did feel perky, now able to run out to redline without running out of breath. I cant be sure it gained any power under 6000 (the bike already pulled pretty hard), so will wait till it has the right map applied and ride for a while before making judgement.

I did notice how easy the bike makes speed though. This happened to some degree when the first 2WDW map was applied where the bike was able to hold speed with less throttle and felt like the speed was easy. Now with this intake it seems to have found another level. The bike just purrs along at 120-130 kph with just small throttle opening, giving the sensation of easy power.  Also at low revs and just at the point of opening the throttle, the bike seems to run smoother.  

I also purchased the FTECU bike side harness, tuning cable and a licence, so will fit the 6 pin harness to the ECU tomorrow and if all goes well I'll fork out some more money to @2 Wheel DynoWorks for a map to suit the Hord airbox.

Originally I bought this thinking if it didn't fit then I would just sell it. Then I ordered an R7 and figured it would go straight onto that bike. Now I am wondering if I need to buy another airbox! Seems a waste to do that, so I will likely reach a decision point whether to keep it on the T7 and buy another Hord airbox, or switch it over to the R7 and revert the T7 back to the original airbox (or a modified version of it). The T7 was working beautifully with the previous setup and quite powerful, so this will have to be reeealllly good to keep it on there.

We've got whatcha need 🙂

• Like 1

2wheellogo.jpg

Well I woke up this morning with a dose of uncommon sense. Checking out the licencing and fitment it is a bit of a commitment to test all this on the T7 just to find out it is best for the R7. So I'll wait for the R7 (December apparently) which I definitely will fit the Hordpower box to and see how that goes. If all goes well I can then decide to get another for the T7.

Here is some video of my test run yesterday. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YXcKDTatSo

So I put the standard airbox back onto the T7, which turned out to be a bit like a Rubics cube. Easy to undo it but not so easy to put it all back. I got there though without removing the throttle bodies, but only just.

1041901906_StandardAirbox.thumb.jpg.46f88c6ebf07742f609d942ef823351a.jpg

This is a new prefilter arrangement I have also been testing. Not enough dust around currently with all the flooding to know how well it works, but it doesn't hinder the performance. Aleks will recognise this as being similar to his main filter on the supermoto, just a bit smaller.

1322575749_RamAirFilter.thumb.jpg.aac7e25f87ba8fb67f97d07ea4224c2b.jpg

Meanwhile I'll have a think about how to use that storage area. Its huge.

1466621723_HordStorageArea.thumb.jpg.8baf594e1fc9163beec635538c7c69ea.jpg

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 1