Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

I have even more respect for you guys now that I own a T7

Spike4379

This is just a rant about the bike, nothing important beyond that.

Having said that though, holy F this bike feels massive. I am 5'6 and can only touch one side of the ground with the tip of my boot. After watching so many people riding it, and the hype videos of pol tarres, I honestly thought it would be a tad smaller and not feel like an anvil is sitting on top of the fuel tank.

What an absolute gem of a machine though, this engine is just perfect compared to the 6 other bikes I've owned and I have no idea how it goes in an MT07 with people still calling that a beginner bike.

I have soupies lowing links on the way and backed the preload off to 4/20 and the suspension handles perfectly for me as I've only used it on the road.

I want to tame this bike. it will be mine until it can no longer function or I die, whichever comes first!

The main problem I have is stopped position, I feel that the moment the bike comes off that balance point it gets so so much more heavy, hopefully that all changes when i drop it two inches.

If I may ask you guys a question, it would be about the tire sizes and handling.

I have always had street bikes with 17's, what is different about the 21 front as far as cornering? I assume a 21 has a lower contact patch so may be more prone to slippage?

Glad I can finally say I own one!

GOPR1009.JPG

GOPR1010.JPG

• Like 1

Welcome to the gang.

Here are a couple of threads on lowering for us less than tall people.

50mm lowering link, low seat and forks slipped up through triple clamps has me sure footed even for single track.

There are some penalties to be paid for with the above adjustments like travel and suspension but I haven't noticed any difference in handling.

I am running 140/80/18's on the rear but that was the same size as when I got it so don't know what 150/80-18 tyre would be like.

• Thanks 1

Many groups (Facebook especially) will tell you lowering makes the bike perform terribly. That's just not true and they all reply like Dakar champions.

I have lowering links and a low seat and am now comfortable at stop on tarmac, especially when camber is against you.

Unless you are doing the most serious off road, make the bike work for you.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wizbang said:

Welcome to the gang.

Here are a couple of threads on lowering for us less than tall people.

50mm lowering link, low seat and forks slipped up through triple clamps has me sure footed even for single track.

There are some penalties to be paid for with the above adjustments like travel and suspension but I haven't noticed any difference in handling.

I am running 140/80/18's on the rear but that was the same size as when I got it so don't know what 150/80-18 tyre would be like.

Stock rear tire size for the T7 is 150/70-18, not 150/80. Not sure if you're aware, but the 140/80 tire you're using is actually 7mm taller than a 150/70. Something to consider if you're looking for lower seat height. 

• Like 4

Yeah Pol tarres makes the bike look small but he's somewhere in the neighborhood of 6'7" . The bike is definitely top heavy, and at a stop nothing can be done about that. Trick to that while moving is speed, speed allows the centrifugal weight to pick itself up. As weird as it sounds it's easier to ride the bike faster then slower, especially offroad.

Edited by Canadian-t7
  • Like 4

Most ADV bikes are tall and top heavy. I had a F800 GSA prior to the T7 and it was a absolute pig and top heavy as well along with crappy suspension!  21 inch will feel like it "drops" into turns easier/faster. No more slippage than any other tire (because of size I mean) as most contact patches on MC fronts are near the same IRT size of contact. You get way more off road tire selections with 21 inch and of course they roll over obstacles easier when riding off road.

• Like 2

• Members

In addition to lowering, consider MX boots with thicker soles.  My Fox boots add a good inch to my inseam.

• Like 2

I also have a Honda Crosstourer and i bought the T7 because he's light and agile.

• Like 2

Thanks for replying guys I fell asleep!

You're all right on the lowering aspect of the bike, I did some research into it and read people saying its a terrible idea but ultimately, you need to be comfortable on the bike and make it work for you, like you all pointed out. I'm not gonna be doing crazy Shet, I'm a noob! Maybe one day I might but for now touching the ground sure would be nice. I have a set of those soupies link + stand on the way but stupidly didn't get express post did I? after a month its landed here in Melbourne yesterday so hopefully should have them this week.

8 hours ago, Firebolter said:

Most ADV bikes are tall and top heavy. I had a F800 GSA prior to the T7 and it was a absolute pig and top heavy as well along with crappy suspension!  21 inch will feel like it "drops" into turns easier/faster. No more slippage than any other tire (because of size I mean) as most contact patches on MC fronts are near the same IRT size of contact. You get way more off road tire selections with 21 inch and of course they roll over obstacles easier when riding off road.

Cool yeah I wasn't sure if it was purely for the whole obstacle thing as far as differences in handling as well as cutting into the softer ground more. I feel strange but honestly I don't feel a difference than any other bike I've been on so I thought id double check incase theres something i really should know.

9 hours ago, Firebolter said:

21 inch will feel like it "drops" into turns easier/faster. No more slippage than any other tire (because of size I mean) as most contact patches on MC fronts are near the same IRT size of contact. You get way more off road tire selections with 21 inch and of course they roll over obstacles easier when riding off road.

??? 21” turns easier/faster?? Think it’s the opposite, mate. Larger fronts are all about obstacle roll over as you’ve mentioned, but at the expense of slower road handling. Imagining the extremes is all it takes. Monster truck tire vs. wheelbarrow, which one’s going to turn in faster? 
   Sport bikes run smaller front wheels for track handling, dirt bikes run larger fronts for rough terrain.

Enjoy the new ride, Spike!  They’re a blast. Don’t let the stature intimidate, just give it the respect it deserves & get used to what it can do, patiently.

• Like 2

@Hammerhead just to chime in on the fall in. On stock tires bike handles similarly to my fz07 with A little less effort to steer the tenere. When I switched to dot knobbies the bike literally drops into turns, it took some getting use to. Definitely a sketchy feeling. 

Edit: might be worth noting I also run an 18x2.50 rear wheel too.

Edited by Canadian-t7

@Canadian-t7 can relate to what you’re saying. Experienced similar with the mitas E10 front. Thinking that’s more related to tire profile/roundedness than it is wheel size though, ya?

@Hammerheadoh forsure, definitely  width/tire profile causing it. I don't think any other front wheel size is that narrow though. 

@Canadian-t7right…Again the extremes help me visualize. The pizza cutter’s gonna to tip in way faster than the rolling pin that won’t!  The 90/90/21 is something of a pizza cutter that way for sure.

Beyond that, the larger gyro remains harder to tilt.

• Like 1

You won’t go far wrong with the stock tyres for handling. You’ll be able to throw it around like you wouldn’t expect. For longevity though as you’re doing all road, you may want an “adventure style “ tyre like all the gs etc brigade use for touring. Less blocky. Better wear. I commute on motorway and the centre of the Pirelli gets flattened. So will start wobbling on overbanding. As will all chunkier tyres. Gotta say again though, they feel (unexpectedly) well planted. Have a look at all the ax 41 variants. Enjoy the bike bud. You’ll soon see why most stay with their owners and not sold on. 👍🍺

Honestly I find the T7 tips in VERY differently than my MT07 did, and definitely massively faster than my Tracer 900 does.  But it's more a matter of how fast it "falls over" vs the force required to initiate a lean; it's that once you're leaning it kind of "wants" to lean more vs the bikes on 17's that are more "on rails" through corners.

The T7 feels nimbler, but more unstable than both.  

The T7 is excellent at highway speed.  I've had mine on the stock tires tearing down winding mountain highways at 180+kph, and it was a great experience - no sketchiness whatsoever.  Obviously if you put more aggressive knobbies on, that's going to change however.  The Scorpion STR's have their drawbacks (they wear fast, and IMHO have little sideways grip in gravel) but they're definitely both reasonably good offroad and surprisingly good on road.