Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Switch from BMW F850 GSA to T700: worth it?

ar3s3ru

Hey there folks!

This is my first post in this forum, and what a first post for me (haha)
As you might've guessed from the title:

• I currently own a BMW F850 GSA (2020 model), and
  • I'm considering switching over to the T700 (that's why I'm here 😄).

Why am I considering the switch?

• The BMW is a heavy beast: my idea with getting one of these bikes was to enjoy both on-road and off-road travel. However, given the BMW weight I've seldom felt comfortable enough to go off-road,
  • The F850 GSA is a rather "obscure" model: not a lot of aftermarket support for it, which is the complete opposite for the T700. Which means: add-ons choice is limited, and prices are rather high,
  • BMW spare parts are notoriously expensive, which doesn't seem to be the case of Yamaha. What's more, in terms of reliability it seems like Yamaha wins over BMW (this is a subjective feeling I got after lurking many different motorcycle forums, not sure whether this feeling is backed by actual data),
  • The BMW has a shitload and more electronics: engine mappings, electronic suspension adjustment, cruise control, etc. Some of them are nice (rear suspension adjustment, tire pressure control, cruise control), but some other stuff just feels superfluous. I'm constantly using the same settings on my bike, no matter the conditions. With the Tenere, you only have one setting, so (I suppose) the bike would be easier to control/manage once getting used to it.
  • This is more of a subjective point, but the Yamaha dealership in my area is much nicer than the BMW 😂

I already tried the bike a year ago, but decided to keep away for that time (after all, I got my BMW just a couple months before). I tried it once more today and gathered some opinions. I tested the "basic" version, just FYI:

• The engine felt more "aggressive" on lower RPMs, especially with the lower gears, but gets very "linear" after that; on the other hand, the BMW feels like a weird curve: the engine is more nuanced in the lower RPMs, explodes in mid RPMs (2-3.5k) then absolutely stagnant from 4-5k upwards.
  • I noticed just how much the F850 has in terms of wind protection once I hit the highway with the T700: face, torso, legs... Wind shields are definitely something I'd need to buy for the T700 if  I decide to do the switch.
  • The Tenere was much lighter than the F850: it gave me almost the same difference between riding with and without a passenger (from the specs, the weight difference explains that: 200kg vs 270kg, almost a whole person's weight difference!)
  • This is a minor one, but the Tenere definitely feels less "premium" than the BMW (e.g. the fuel tank cap, the Tenere one seems like a toy cap lol). Maybe that's a good point though, as I'd probably feel "less bad" going off-road with the T700 than the BMW 😂
  • Fuel consumption on the Tenere seems better than the F850: when I travel long distance with the BMW, I usually get to 350km, max 380km at 120km/h -- this is ~20 km/l, or ~5 l/100km. The Tenere seems to average around 4 l/100km at 120km/h, which gives me the same travel distance with 8 liters less in tank capacity.

Much of the negative points on the bike can be fixed by buying aftermarket parts (minus the cruise control, which really bothers me... wonder what you folks deal with that on long distance). However, what's blocking me know is the price.

I bought my BMW in Sept. 2020, ~13.500€ with 700km (it was a test bike).
I'm still paying it (financing) and so far I've paid 6000€ (down-payment) + 2240.88€ (installments).
After the test ride, the Yamaha dealership offered me to trade the bike for a base model, red/white color with 2000€ to add (so they're basically valuing my BMW around 8000€). This brings my total spending to ~15.500€ for the Tenere.

Since it's a base model, I'd need to buy many other accessories, probably around another 2000€ to have it completely fitted as I like it. This bumps the price to ~17.500€ for the bike.

At this point I'm not so sure if this an idea worth pursuing.
If I would get, say, a Rally edition for almost no additional money to put in for the T700, I'd probably take it on the spot. But this feels like a lot of money spent on a bike for which I still have some "negative points".

Basically what I'm trying to do here is gaining some perspective from other people, whether you found yourself in a similar position before or whether you can give me more or less confidence on the bike.

Sorry for the wall of text 😅

Thanks all!

• Like 1

Think you’ll like the engine, and what she can do. 
The T7 is a long way off (heavier) than a Trials bike, or even 450.

Ied do the BMW for highway touring, and T7 for mixed.

I went from a 1250GS to a Tenere, plus I’d had half a dozen GS before that.

Our ‘why’ is all different, as is what we all miss. Me - proper working heated grips.

Tech is non existent, along with refinement, weather protection, comfort and free biscuits when you call in for service.

But, it’s a cracking bike. 

Not arsed about dropping it, bits are cheap and easy to source and everything about ownership is cheaper.

I didn’t regularly use cruise on the GS, but if you knock about with a load of other GS riders and like Sunday road bimbles or European tours, stay with the GS. Don’t get me wrong, I do Europe regularly, but my mates accept I’m pretty flat out at 80mph on the big sweeping roads, leaving them in the twisters and green lanes.

I could go on for ages, but I won’t. Love mine.

I switched from a GSA to a t700 and it was great... Reliable fun engine and simple with not a lot of things that can go wrong... Wait the Yamaha doesn't go wrong... I'm biased towards Yamaha because BMW have let me down to many times .. the t700 with a remap header and intake mod will be rapid and fun. 

I've moved on to a triple engine since and I'm loving it even more.

Move to Yamaha don't look back 😎😃🤩

Aleks

Why not sell your bike yourself?  It will take some time and energy but you will get more money and the changeover will be less painless?  I have an older F800GS and I definitely prefer the Tenere.

• Like 2

I agree with @Frances.  Sell the Beamer yourself to get the maximum amount of coinage then purchase the T7.  You'll get more money than needed from the BMW sale to pay out the loan and then use the rest of the money for a down payment on a Tenere.  No crying...  When you sell one to get another you may take a bit of a beating but hey, it's all about peace of mind.  Let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burnsey said:

Our ‘why’ is all different, as is what we all miss. Me - proper working heated grips.

Tech is non existent, along with refinement, weather protection, comfort and free biscuits when you call in for service.

But, it’s a cracking bike. 

Not arsed about dropping it, bits are cheap and easy to source and everything about ownership is cheaper.

I didn’t regularly use cruise on the GS, but if you knock about with a load of other GS riders and like Sunday road bimbles or European tours, stay with the GS. Don’t get me wrong, I do Europe regularly, but my mates accept I’m pretty flat out at 80mph on the big sweeping roads, leaving them in the twisters and green lanes.

Not concerned so much with speed, when I do 500+ km on the highway I never go more than 120km/h.
If the bike reaches that speed, then it's perfect for me -- and seems like the T700 does 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frances said:

Why not sell your bike yourself?  It will take some time and energy but you will get more money and the changeover will be less painless?  I have an older F800GS and I definitely prefer the Tenere.

47 minutes ago, Landshark said:

I agree with @Frances.  Sell the Beamer yourself to get the maximum amount of coinage then purchase the T7.  You'll get more money than needed from the BMW sale to pay out the loan and then use the rest of the money for a down payment on a Tenere.  No crying...  When you sell one to get another you may take a bit of a beating but hey, it's all about peace of mind.  Let us know what you decide.

Cause selling the bike ain't that easy... I don't really speak the language of the country I'm currently living in, and do not know the whole bureaucracy involved in selling the bike.
I was hoping to leave that to the dealership and just walk away with the bike, but given their offer this is off the table now 😅

I guess I could try to ask BMW to give me a quote before starting with selling it myself 🤷‍♂️

Otherwise I guess I'll take your advice @Landshark 😁

• Like 1