Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

High pitched ticking - valves?

Boyca

Hi there,

Noticed this high pitched ticking sound over the regular strokes of the engine.

Kinda worried since the bike is only 2k kilometers old. Possible funky valves?

If anyone could have a listen and give me their opinion that would be nice.

Link to the audio;

Vocaroo is a quick and easy way to share voice messages over the interwebs.

Do you have synthetic oil in the engine?  I can't tell if the sound is weird from the recording.  And is the engine warm or cold at the time of the trouble?

1 hour ago, Landshark said:

Do you have synthetic oil in the engine?  I can't tell if the sound is weird from the recording.  And is the engine warm or cold at the time of the trouble?

I'm asuming it's yamaha Oem lube since it's first maintenance is done at the official dealership. People are saying it sounds normal here though. I just felt like I couldn't remember hearing that ticking so noticeably before. Maybe it's all in my head 😕

• Like 1

I went to the Yamaha shop today just to be sure and the mechanic had a listen. He could pinpoint exactly what I meant and reassured me it's normal. Apparently it's the distribution chain and something to do with the spring where it's not quite jumping over or something? He told me it will disappear after a while but will naturally come back in cycles or something. He told me I could also just rip open my engine when she's hot and it might disappear. Either way, nothing to be worried about it seems. 😅

Edited by Boyca

• 2 months later...

The noise comes from your injectors. They tic. Valves do not. Too tight valves are the problem not loose. To tight burns the seats because they don't close. If you put a noisy exhaust on no more hearing the injector click ...... lol

• Like 2