Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Parts for a long trip

sorlok

Hi all

I'm going on a long trip east,  and i'm wondering if you have input to which parts for the bike, and tools you would bring?

Like Tubes, chain links, etc..

Thanks

Soeren

1 hour ago, sorlok said:

Hi all

I'm going on a long trip east,  and i'm wondering if you have input to which parts for the bike, and tools you would bring?

Like Tubes, chain links, etc..

Thanks

Soeren

Not sure how long/far you're going for but I'd be tempted to take:

Spare HD 21" and 18" tubes. a 21" can be made to fit both if you're tight on space, but I'd take both

A centre stand - much easier if you get a puncture and to lube and tighten the chain

Good tyre levers. You can buy lightweight ones with a 27" ring spanner on the end for the rear wheel

A hex adaptor to allow a ring spanner/socket to get the front wheel out

Aluminium wrap around bars. You will then not snap a lever unless you're very unlucky

Just check all key nuts/bolts for relevant allen keys/spanners etc

adjustable spanner

loads of tie wraps and duct tape

a tyre pump or CO2 cartridges

spare clutch cable

spare brake pads especially if muddy/gritty

engine case protection. See R&G

engine guards - plenty of choice now

HD sump guard

Rally seat - much more comfortable and more tool storage

Camel-back with at least 3 litres of water

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Not sure how long/far you're going for but I'd be tempted to take:

Thanks Rich TT, very good info.

Trip is tru europe, all the way to Asia. then back over russia and stan countries.

/Soren

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, sorlok said:

Thanks Rich...

Trip is tru europe, all the way to Asia. then back over russia and stan countries.

/Soren

Take it you are going next year ?

Yes, Rich’s list above plus clutch and brake levers... Tankbag, Rack topbox, maybe soft panniers / saddle bags, Rox straps, tent bag. Oil filter, maybe fit foam air-filter. 

Fit USB charger, lithium battery...

You ask as if you have not done trips before ? 🤔

Edited by X Plane
Added items
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, X Plane said:

You ask as if you have not done trips before ? 🤔

I have not done a trip this long where I have set of a year.

But shorter trips like a month on motorcycle in Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia etc.

My question is mostly related to what would be wise to have for the Tenere, 

And I know it's still new so it might be hard to know yet.

Thanks for your input

• Like 1

One thing what you could do, if You have the time, is to do some maintenance, so You can see what tools You need.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

23 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Rally seat - much more comfortable and more tool storage

Rich, much more comfortable, eh? How tall are you.? I am wondering if I should have the rally seat for when I order mine, whenever we in the US order ours. I am looking for comfortabler saddle. 

Is it better on your butt, or a better knee angle, or what?

Tried the wife's sheepskin rug on for size, perfect fit but she has repossessed it. 😁😁😁  

IMG_5723.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, ahamay said:

Rich, much more comfortable, eh? How tall are you.? I am wondering if I should have the rally seat for when I order mine, whenever we in the US order ours. I am looking for comfortabler saddle. 

Is it better on your butt, or a better knee angle, or what?

I'm 6 foot 3. The bike is tall as standard, for sure. If you're not very tall, then putting the Rally seat on as well (which adds height) might not be a good thing unless you buy the lowering links.

It's more comfier on the butt and better knee angle. although it's a lovely roomy bike. I'm used to Enduro bikes, so I prefer the more sitting "on the bike" than sunk in, which the standard seat makes it feel like. I added bar risers, rally seat, turned the handlebars more vertically and moved the levers a touch and it feels like a different bike altogether. Obviously my personal preference, but like this, the riding position is one of the best I've experienced seated or standing up. The latter is super comfortable. Feels like you can stand up all day.

Rich

• Like 1