Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tech Mounting Solution (edited)

Burnsey

EDIT: Upon receipt of the product and comments elsewhere from those who had installed, I decided not to install and returned the product. I'm nit saying it isn't a good solution, but felt it wouldn't work on my set up.

Since I bought the Tenere, I haven't been happy with my tech,or specifically where each element is mounted.

I really wanted to solely use my phone for nav, so went Quadlock handlebar mount on the crossbar, with vibration dampener and wireless charging head, which works fine, but the inability to use in portrait mode without blocking half your info screen was annoying.I didn't want to raise the mount,so muddled through for a while, but never satisfied.

Then I wondered about mounting on the handlebars, but with the handlebar already full with BarBusters and heated grip brackets, there isn't loads of room,so picked up a Rally Raid handlebar clamp. The problem though, is the holes don't suit M5 Quadlock, so added the 12mm auxiliary bar bracket. That all looks great, but all mounted, the stack is high - too high!

Then I received an email from Garmin,with a Black Friday offer of a Zumo XT for £250, down from £430, so pressed the button. This purchase meant the phone can stay in my pocket, as the Zumo integrates calls, messages alongside the navigation - but, where to mount it?

Now, most seem to go for the crossbar, but I found that a little distracting and awkward to operate, so intended using the items I had to put on the handlebars. I should add, you can mount the Garmin directly to the handlebar mount, but with my tankbag, you can't see it, which is where the auxiliary bracket comes in. 

So, all planned and just waiting for the Zumo to arrive and someone posted the Twalcom bracket. Basically, it allows you to retain the instrument cluster and the Zumo alongside (in portrait mode), which to me is the perfect solution. Plus,at a fraction of the price of the rally towers which seem to offer similar.

The Zumo in portrait should be easy enough to get used to, which was my only reservation.

Now just the wait for arrival and fitting (with instructions in Italian 😂) and test in the real world. I'll retain the handlebar mount/aux bracket for future roadbook use and sell the Quadlock gear.

The image shows the bracket with phone attached, but gives an idea.

DSC_0052.jpeg

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 1

In theory the road is a long line and you can see further ahead in portrait.
I tried it but in practise i also really don't like it because i use the sidebar for extra info which will show below in portrait leaving you with the same size map screen as in landscape.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Funny but I can't stand using a phone as a SatNav in portrait mode. Always use in landscape, same with a dedicated SatNav. Why would you want the Zumo in portrait, mate?

Apple users are somewhat forced to use portrait, as certain elements will not (fact) adjust to landscape, which renders a phone in landscape a far from perfect solution, often adding a nav unit too.

I don’t mind what orientation for mapping and as the Zumo can operate everything I need in terms of calls and music alongside the nav, it’s a perfect one unit solution for me.

10 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

In theory the road is a long line and you can see further ahead in portrait.
I tried it but in practise i also really don't like it because i use the sidebar for extra info which will show below in portrait leaving you with the same size map screen as in landscape.

As above reply really. It works for me and I actually like the sidebar at the bottom, so hopefully a perfect solution for me.

Big benefit is phone in the pocket and only one piece of equipment on the bike.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Burnsey said:

Apple users are somewhat forced to use portrait, as certain elements will not (fact) adjust to landscape, which renders a phone in landscape a far from perfect solution, often adding a nav unit too.

I don’t mind what orientation for mapping and as the Zumo can operate everything I need in terms of calls and music alongside the nav, it’s a perfect one unit solution for me.

Hopefully your Zumo arrives soon. Apple published this a few months ago and I "assume" the T7 engine is in the " High power" category.  😉

Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines, can degrade the performance of the camera system.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

8 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Hopefully your Zumo arrives soon. Apple published this a few months ago and I "assume" the T7 engine is in the " High power" category.  😉

Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines, can degrade the performance of the camera system.

That’s well known and iPhone users take that risk. The Camel anti bobble brackets and Quadlock vibration dampener are probably the best you can do.

I’ve only used the phone for navigation twice, so can’t make a long term comment, but it does make me giggle, as if in your pocket, your arms pass the same vibrations to your body in reality, so I’d say do t believe everything you read…

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2021 at 4:30 PM, Burnsey said:

Since I bought the Tenere, I haven't been happy with my tech,or specifically where each element is mounted.

I really wanted to solely use my phone for nav, so went Quadlock handlebar mount on the crossbar, with vibration dampener and wireless charging head, which works fine, but the inability to use in portrait mode without blocking half your info screen was annoying.I didn't want to raise the mount,so muddled through for a while, but never satisfied.

Then I wondered about mounting on the handlebars, but with the handlebar already full with BarBusters and heated grip brackets, there isn't loads of room,so picked up a Rally Raid handlebar clamp. The problem though, is the holes don't suit M5 Quadlock, so added the 12mm auxiliary bar bracket. That all looks great, but all mounted, the stack is high - too high!

Then I received an email from Garmin,with a Black Friday offer of a Zumo XT for £250, down from £430, so pressed the button. This purchase meant the phone can stay in my pocket, as the Zumo integrates calls, messages alongside the navigation - but, where to mount it?

Have you got it? Happy?

Now, most seem to go for the crossbar, but I found that a little distracting and awkward to operate, so intended using the items I had to put on the handlebars. I should add, you can mount the Garmin directly to the handlebar mount, but with my tankbag, you can't see it, which is where the auxiliary bracket comes in. 

So, all planned and just waiting for the Zumo to arrive and someone posted the Twalcom bracket. Basically, it allows you to retain the instrument cluster and the Zumo alongside (in portrait mode), which to me is the perfect solution. Plus,at a fraction of the price of the rally towers which seem to offer similar.

The Zumo in portrait should be easy enough to get used to, which was my only reservation.

Now just the wait for arrival and fitting (with instructions in Italian 😂) and test in the real world. I'll retain the handlebar mount/aux bracket for future roadbook use and sell the Quadlock gear.

The image shows the bracket with phone attached, but gives an idea.

DSC_0052.jpeg

35 minutes ago, kudee said:

Have you got it? Are you happy?

Apologies, no, I returned it and await a refund.

It arrived fairly quickly and I was busy, so it want on a shelf. Over the next week, another buyer installed his and reported a number of issues he found, the main one being obstruction of full lock from handguards and I wasn't happy the way the Zumo power wire has to be folded backwards due to how the mounting position is made.

Thinking about it, it's obvious. Turning the bars without it and there isn't much room, so double the width and how can it miss?

I reported these issues and Twalcom refused to accept issues, so returned it.

I am not saying it doesn't work, but wasn't confident enough to open and use the product. Once refunded I shall report back, but let's say it is taking a while...

Edited by Burnsey

8 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

That's not great. That went back a while ago no?

I posted on 13th December and tracking shows it left the UK on 14th. Then it becomes Italian - sloppy! Shows as in transit and Twalcom state they have not received. Just another reason I rarely buy from overseas.

Edited by Burnsey

• Burnsey changed the title to Tech Mounting Solution (edited)