Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lift stands for the T7 (inc front)

Wintersdark

I've got the T7, of course, and also a Tracer 900GT.  I own a standard rear stand with paddles that'll lift the rear just fine.  I've always just used a bottle jack under the Tracers H pipe to lever the front up when it's on its center stand, but my T7 doesn't have (and I don't want) a center stand... Or a good jack point.

I'm after a secure way to do front end work.  I experimented with using a trail stand off the front right of the bash plate to lever the front up, but that seems really sketchy as a way to have the bike up for work that's going to involve wrenching... And a clumsy 300lb guy stumbling around the shop while maybe drinking.

I was eyeballing Abba's Superbike stand, but it's incompatible with the T7.  Their SkyLift is awesome but absurdly expensive.

There's the traditional flat topped dirt bike stands but the manual specifically says not to use those (also calling into question the front end tripod method).  

Thoughts?  How do you do front end work, such as pull the forks etc?

I just jack mine up using the AXP skid plate while it’s on the center stand with a floor jack. You could do the same with the bike on the rear stand. 

I have the stock skid plate, though.  I'm kind of reluctant to drop around $200cdn for a new skid plate (that I don't need; I'm not doing stuff so crazy that I need a stronger skid plate) *and* $150 or so for a jack.  The skid plate looks pretty thin, and the attachment points to the downtubes kind of distant and not really positioned to stop the skid plate from bending.

@Ray Ride4life is that the stock skid plate? 

I don't have any ability to weld stuff, but I could use a larger block of wood on top of a jack like that, to spread the weight out.  

Just a little sketched out given the specific warning not to lift from the stock skid plate in the manual.

4 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

is that the stock skid plate? 

No this is an Adventure Spec but it will work with the OEM as well. Used it also with the XT660Z with the plastic OEM skidplate and the OEM aluminium.
This lift was only €46 and can lift 500kg, sure you can get something similar in Canada.
You can bolt a piece of plywood on top to get a bigger service to distribute the weight if you don't trust it or take a dirtbike lift.

I use one of these lifts for many tasks where using my full maintenance stand doesn't make sense:

60536_W3.jpg

1500 Lb. Capacity ATV/Motorcycle Lift

Super handy, has worked well under the skid plate on my T7, GS, DR650 and many others. Will work under just frame rails and/or engine case too. Bike is very stable with one strap on each side from somewhere on the frame to one of the lift tie-down loops. Great for pulling either wheel or pulling the entire front end for steering head bearing changes, etc.

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

Very similar to this one that I have and it's available at Canadian Tire too.  It's on sale, just saying.  

0091015_1?wid=225&hei=225

MotoMaster Motorcycle/ATV Jack safely lifts for repairs or storage Completely lifts the vehicle instead of only lifting one end like conventional jacks

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jdub53 said:

I use one of these lifts for many tasks where using my full maintenance stand doesn't make sense:

60536_W3.jpg

1500 Lb. Capacity ATV/Motorcycle Lift

Super handy, has worked well under the skid plate on my T7, GS, DR650 and many others. Will work under just frame rails and/or engine case too. Bike is very stable with one strap on each side from somewhere on the frame to one of the lift tie-down loops. Great for pulling either wheel or pulling the entire front end for steering head bearing changes, etc.

Like the lift @Landsharkhad posted, forgot to mention the bike can be wheeled around once in the air on one of these. Came in handy on my T7 recently when I had both wheels off while changing tires plus converting the rear rim to tubeless, and had to move the bike back into the corner to get the wife's car back into the garage.

• Like 1

@jdub53 @Landshark

And here we go:

20211129_191748.thumb.jpg.1a7c9b8ad5c561ea78d6e5a28333fa19.jpg

I'm a bit paranoid when leaving the bike up on a lift, so ran a couple straps through the rafters as well *just in case*, but you guys are right. 

Lifted off the skid plate just fine (I put a chunk of 3/4" plywood over the lift arms to spread the load), was a bit sketchy though particularly with both tires off the ground.  As said, wholly fixed by running some straps to the tiedown points on the lift.  

Works for me.  No flexing or bending of the skid plate, down tubes seem fine. They're really sturdy enough to support the weight of the bike for sure, leading me to believe Yamaha talks about not doing this more because the bike is crazy unstable just on a lift but not strapped than due to the downtubes being unable to support that weight.

After all, as others have said in other threads here, if they couldn't there would be plenty of incidents of them breaking/bending when stuff hits the skid plate/any aftermarket ones that are attached to the same points.  Particularly given any impact would be bike+rider+momentum, as compared to a gentle static lift.

Also, $150 worked for me.  Ended up at princess auto, but they all seem identical.  Cheaper than most/all other options.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 5

Here's my solution. Bike lives on this when I'm not riding. Both tires are off the ground and the bike is very stable. Step on the lever to lift it up, lift up on the lever to drop the bike down. Use it to wheel it around the garage when moving it in/out around other vehicles. I have drawings if anyone is interested. Top plate is formed to suit your specific skid plate. I'm running an Outback Motortek skid.

I think the main reason for Yamaha not wanting to support the bike from the lower frame rails is due to the catalytic converter being VERY close to them, as well as safety reasons from a tip over. There is NO structural reason I can see why you can't hold the bike up with them, with some care.

Can also use this as a base, but more expensive. https://admorelighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Park-N-Move.png

Roller Center stand.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

6 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Here's my solution. Bike lives on this when I'm not riding. Both tires are off the ground and the bike is very stable. Step on the lever to lift it up, lift up on the lever to drop the bike down. Use it to wheel it around the garage when moving it in/out around other vehicles. I have drawings if anyone is interested. Top plate is formed to suit your specific skid plate. I'm running an Outback Motortek skid.

I think the main reason for Yamaha not wanting to support the bike from the lower frame rails is due to the catalytic converter being VERY close to them, as well as safety reasons from a tip over. There is NO structural reason I can see why you can't hold the bike up with them, with some care.

Can also use this as a base, but more expensive. https://admorelighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Park-N-Move.png

Roller Center stand.jpg

What a great little contraption.  Nice that you made it to fit under the skid.  Really looks a lot more stable than my lift and the bike can be left up on it.  Nice.  I'd be interested in the drawings.  Thanks @Canzvt

11 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Roller Center stand.jpg

This is very cool, but very much relies on an appropriate skid plate in terms of strength and shape.  Ingenious mechanism to lift straight up and lock it in position too! 

The dolly used as a base can be had pretty cheaply; I got mine from Princess Auto for $35 with a kickstand extension (intended as a rear wheel + kickstand motorcycle dolly, but it's awesome as a centerstand dolly without the kickstand extension).  I definitely lack the metalworking skills and equipment to make such a thing though 😞

5 hours ago, XR_mike_T said:

a side note, @Wintersdark noticed the nice tire changing setup you got on the table, is it DIY or something bought? 

Something bought.  It's an Olmaxmotors tire changer.  Roughly $250, and it's *super* easy.  Just used it today to mount up my studded Motoz Adventure:

20211129_172118.thumb.jpg.e23b985fcff1e6c19b9dad6ff8d59738.jpgbead breaking

20211130_150404.thumb.jpg.9f7c7665a697a523adfb6ee07b001b4e.jpg

Mounted.

Really great experience, as someone who's failed at hand changing tires more than once it was fantastic to pop that wierd Butler tire changing head thing in, use it's slot to easily lever the bead up onto it, and spin it around.  

No bead holders or oddball tools needed, just a single spoon once for each bead.  The shape of the head makes it impossible to mark up your rims, too, which is nice.

I'll need to add a mount for my worktable to avoid doing it on the floor, but it's a pretty simple piece of equipment that makes a (for me anyways) tough, frustrating job pretty damn easy.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes this bike is the worst for balance on a stand compared to 690,701,990,wr250r. Stock skid plate only stops mud and small gravel it is grossly thin. I used a cheap motorcycle lift with wood and it showed then went down a small rock step destroyed the SP, super soft suspension. So forked out cash for upgraded skid plate Camel ADV and stiffer rear spring 8.5 should have gone with a 9.0 I am only  210lbs with gear 95% adv gravel road rider.