Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

The Italian Job

Hammerhead

this guy def got a crap ton of stuff on there...

although it is heavy, the amount of tech & achievement on this bike is incredible!

If I am looking for long haul tourer, this might be one of them contenders.

• Like 1

It looks good, but I'm not gonna lie: If I'm buying a Ducati, it's not gonna be a bike I'm intending to ride in the middle of nowhere and beat the crap out of.  Reliability and toughness are not words I associate with Ducati.  Mind you, I've got a lot of feelings this way about a lot of the big ADV bikes that way too.  

I suppose, though, if you're in a *way* better financial position than me and ride with support, it's a sexy looking bike and I bet it's extremely capable.

Polar opposite to T7 simplicity, affordability & perhaps reliability, but a nice contribution to the market all the same. 

• Like 3

I agree with all of you in what has already been said. 

I find it looks very close to my XT600Z 3AJ (which I sold this summer) and - of course- the Cagiva Elefant. By far not ugly and that additional fuel tank is very nice. 

But it's the opposite of the T7, it's once more electronic overkill. 6 ride modes speak for themselves. I bought the T7 for the simplicity and all the stuff that can't break on this bike. The more electronics, the less chances to fix something on a roadside repair.

To me, it's a beautiful bike. I already liked it when I saw the prototype for the first time, I think on Intermot in 2018. But that being said, I prefer the T7 😉

• Like 4

Near impossible to find a bike sans excessive electronics in the 21st century. Yam’s  lack of it on the T7 was a key selling feature for me too.
   If I wanted to play with all those gizmo’s & had $ to burn this Ducati would be worth a look just not to be another pumpkin pilot or GS guy.
   The lack of beak on this bike alone is appreciated. Funny how retro styles are more appreciated lately. A lot of vehicles, bikes included,

were far better looking back in the day. 

• Like 4

I think it’s bad ass.  I love it. Like it better than the Aprilia Toureg.  

Even though its 450 dry, it’s well over 100 hp and like 68 ft lbs torque if I remember correctly.  Not bad specs..

• Moderators
On 12/10/2021 at 4:14 PM, Wintersdark said:

It looks good, but I'm not gonna lie: If I'm buying a Ducati, it's not gonna be a bike I'm intending to ride in the middle of nowhere and beat the crap out of.  Reliability and toughness are not words I associate with Ducati.  Mind you, I've got a lot of feelings this way about a lot of the big ADV bikes that way too.  

I suppose, though, if you're in a *way* better financial position than me and ride with support, it's a sexy looking bike and I bet it's extremely capable.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  My friends who have "Ducs" are understandably proud of them ( styling/price) , but are also very familiar with the mechanical side of them or their nearest Ducati service department.  Sexy looking for sure especially shod with knobbies, but @450 lbs dry, 75 hp in Enduro mode, enough electronics to confuse anyone over 30, the T7 looks even better!

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Having put 10K miles on my 2018 Deseret Sled, these older air cooled designed Duc motors are reliable as anything else. This is not the higher strung multi valve motors in the street bikes. These valve trains are pretty stout and good for 15K mile before checks. Personally, I like the Desert Sled's more "bare bones" approach over this Duc but the suspension and frame design/ergo's are sweet and the bikes handles off road duties well. My T7 is much taller than my DS but that motor on the Duc is so sweet-Nice bike IMO but my T7 is more than enough, especially since I have the DS too!

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

The Italian Ténéré 700, without the reliability of the T7. Still nice if you have the money to buy it and the cost of the parts. Seriously, it's pretty cool and obviously they took aim at the T7, or no? What do you think?

On 4/8/2022 at 6:57 PM, Yasenia said:

The Italian Ténéré 700, without the reliability of the T7. Still nice if you have the money to buy it and the cost of the parts. Seriously, it's pretty cool and obviously they took aim at the T7, or no? What do you think?

It is pretty cool, but I feel it's aimed at a different market than the T7.  The T7 is a functional machine, made at a price point, whereas this is something for people who don't care about price... or never intend to actually take it offroad.

I think this is much more aimed at the larger Adv bike market.  Not so much that it is large, but that it's aimed at people getting into the Adv bike game but who are unconcerned about cost.  More touring maybe with fire roads, or just want to fit in with that set but ride a Ducati.  I mean, if I was thinking about a GS, but wanted something flashier and "tougher" looking, I'd really consider this.

I can imagine many people seriously waffling between the Ducati Desert X and a Tenere 700.  At least not people who know what they want from a bike.