Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What are some other radiator guard options besides Yamaha? - NOT CHINESE!

JohnnieBoy

Curious what you guys are running besides the Yamaha guard? Anyone running the AltRider guard? Can't really tell in the pics, do the fins stick out? The Evotech for the FZ/MT-09 looks interesting but minimalist... no rad frame protection like Alt or Yamaha. The R&G also appears to have protruding fins. I'm looking for something more flat/flush. What others are out there that aren't from CHI-NA?

I don't have pictures anymore.

All I did was get some stainless mess from a metal company local & cut it to fit the back of the OEM plastic guard & tie wrapped it in the back. Cost $10cdn.

• Like 2

I like this one from Evotech, I have it backordered from the local distributor. It goes behind the original plastic guard so you get double the protection in theory.

Evotech Performance radiator guards attach to your bike's existing mounting points.No modifications are required to your motorcycle.Hexagonal hole pattern to optimise airflow whilst providing maximum...

I'm quit resourceful but i have to admit that i didn't think of this option, it made the to do list.

+1 for the Evotech - the best of both worlds:  The original plastic fins with a finer metal mesh inside.

MVIMG_20200807_074448.jpg

EP Yamaha Tenere 700 Radiator Guard (2019+)

Edited by Gekkdroid
  • Like 1

Great idea to add behind the stocker, I'm trying to flatten out the fins though...

5 hours ago, williestreet said:

Cut a piece of gutter guard and zip tied to the back of the stock plastic guard.  Works perfect.

957BC9BE-2CFF-47D5-B45E-A6EEF2220FD7_1_201_a.jpeg

BDFD4F04-C898-42E1-8B97-5F9AE035388D_1_201_a.jpeg

Nice job...simple, inexpensive and I'm sure it'll do as well as job as a 80$ jobber

• Like 2

I put fine stainless mesh on the front of the fins so there is no chance of metal to metal contact. 

Mesh was free so were the cable ties 🤩

DSC02515 (2).JPG

Edited by Rider 101
add photo
  • Like 4

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Well, anyway... I needed flat, so I broke down and ordered the Yamaha one. As much as I dislike giving Bozos $$$, he was the cheapest (of course) and along with racked up cc points, I paid well under a hundo. Boom.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 2:05 PM, williestreet said:

Cut a piece of gutter guard and zip tied to the back of the stock plastic guard.  Works perfect.

Is that PLASTIC? Or ALUMINUM?

8 minutes ago, williestreet said:

Aluminum

I thought so, because the edges are bent. Lifelong metal fabricator here. I have expanded aluminum IN STOCK. There's room behind there so it won't accidentally gnaw through the rad tubes? 

1 hour ago, concours said:

I thought so, because the edges are bent. Lifelong metal fabricator here. I have expanded aluminum IN STOCK. There's room behind there so it won't accidentally gnaw through the rad tubes? 

I can't remember the exact clearance, but I checked it closely as this was a concern I had as well . No issues.

Just made sure the catch on the zip ties were on the outside and not facing the rad side as they could be an issue as well.  

My stuff is pretty thin and eventually I will probably replace with a stiffer/stronger mesh if I ever stumble across any. Just not willing to pay crazy prices for a simple piece of aluminum.

Edited by williestreet
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, williestreet said:

Freeking brilliant!!! This is what I am going to do! Thanks

I went with Altrider.  Quality aluminum, easy install.  

AltRider Radiator Guard for the Yamaha Tenere 700 - A fully functioning cooling system is vital to keeping your bike running smooth, but the radiator can be exposed and susceptible to damage from rocks and road debris. The...

2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I went with Altrider.  Quality aluminum, easy install.  

AltRider Radiator Guard for the Yamaha Tenere 700 - A fully functioning cooling system is vital to keeping your bike running smooth, but the radiator can be exposed and susceptible to damage from rocks and road debris. The...

And, Altrider is American made.  So it's going to be well built and you'll be glad you have it.  

• Like 1

Please don't take it the wrong way but what is it with Americans and "American made"?
You do realise that you're riding a Japanese bike.
And American made is not a definition for well build looking at the problems with Tesla cars and the Harley Pan American also doesn't come without issues.
For bikes i turn to the Japanese, for food to the Italians, for Big trucks to the Swedish, cars and tools German and beer i like Dutch (Grolsch) but most people prefer Belgium beer.

• 2 years later...
On 12/17/2021 at 11:05 AM, williestreet said:

Great idea!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, williestreet said:

I appologize for quoting, but I fell of my chair reading this and my head exploeded! THANK YOU!

I was looking for best fitting, cheap solution and it never crossed my mind. Genious.

Edited by The Pineaaple