Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Copper Canyon Mexico

TenereTragic700

Hi there.  I have searched Copper Canyon and Copper - no luck.

Anyone here have first hand experience with riding to Copper Canyon, Mexico.

Myself and two buddies (F800 and 690 Enduro) are looking for an early 2022 ride and are considering this.

I have looked at ADVRider and am following some leads there.

Would welcome any advice or suggestions.

Vince

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 12:15 PM, TenereTragic700 said:

Hi there.  I have searched Copper Canyon and Copper - no luck.

Anyone here have first hand experience with riding to Copper Canyon, Mexico.

Myself and two buddies (F800 and 690 Enduro) are looking for an early 2022 ride and are considering this.

I have looked at ADVRider and am following some leads there.

Would welcome any advice or suggestions.

Vince

It’s on my Baja trip in May, I’ll be doing it with my bike and two friends on KTMs. I’m actually researching it myself. I’m thinking of doing a prerun of the route mid February. I’m familiar with Baja from my kayaking and 4x4 trips but for the most part. I never knew were I was exactly. That place has the ability to get you turned around. If you need help with translations or making phone calls let me know. I would say, the California POE is a nightmare. I normally cross in Yuma. Much easier time and cheaper than going into California. By a lot. 

Do you have Instagram? Lots of good info there. I normally do a place search, then look at the photos. If they are doing the same activity, I post a question on the photo. You normally get great feedback that way. My Instagram is Kavika1991, I can send you everything I find if you have an account.  This guy did the train last year. So I’m contacting him to see if I can chat and figure out some details.

6C68EE6B-7665-4635-82AA-595434879F7A.png

3F87C04A-404C-46B1-A8C5-1428B31914D3.png

Edited by Kavika1991

@Kavika1991 thank you.  As scarry as it sounds I do not like or use social media much but will have to take your advise.

We now have thrre of us converging on Douglas AZ 23 Feb and crossing 24 Feb, recrossing around 5 Mar.

None of us have ridden in Mexico before and one of the team is a very good route planner - he is stitching together a plan.  The other two have done the BDRs etc and I have more dirt bike skills (KTM450 XCW) than ADV skills - but should be ok.  They are on DRZ400 and KTM690 enduro.

I will reach out to the poster above as well.

Thanks again. 

38 minutes ago, TenereTragic700 said:

@Kavika1991 thank you.  As scarry as it sounds I do not like or use social media much but will have to take your advise.

We now have thrre of us converging on Douglas AZ 23 Feb and crossing 24 Feb, recrossing around 5 Mar.

None of us have ridden in Mexico before and one of the team is a very good route planner - he is stitching together a plan.  The other two have done the BDRs etc and I have more dirt bike skills (KTM450 XCW) than ADV skills - but should be ok.  They are on DRZ400 and KTM690 enduro.

I will reach out to the poster above as well.

Thanks again. 

I only do Instagram because it’s the app to use to communicate with and find explorers. I’ve been in some really crazy places and it has saved my butt more than once. Instagram isn’t the toxic pool of poop that FB is if you don’t go out of your way to make it that. Search the # you are interested in and you will be good. A good way to get into the right information streams is to follow your favorite manufacturers. 

Douglass is a good choice to cross. It’s not to busy and the town is small enough to be fun. The road across to Agua Prietas is nice and there are plenty of petrol stations. Alternatively, Nogales is another excellent entry. The border guards on the Mexican side don’t bother you if you are on a bike. In Douglass, When I came back to the US the other day, they asked for a copy of the vehicle’s tittle. So it will be worth bringing a copy of your tittle or the lien note, they also want a covid vaccine and the latest booster.

If you guys want a place to change tires, do oil changes or make adjustments to your set up, you are welcome to do them at my place. I have a well stocked tool set up to work on bikes. Also, you guys will be riding by the Chiricahua's. It’s an incredibly scenic ride on its own. If you come from I-10 to Wilcox, you can go thought the Chiricahua portal pass. That’s were cowboy outlaw Johnny Ringo is buried. There is an amazing lodge at the end of the pass traveling south called portal peak cafe and lodge. They have cheap rooms and amazing food.

If you come from Lordsberg the motel at the town of  Rodeo can rent you guys a cabin with a washing machine for the cost of a single room. That’s were the war Cheif Geronimo surrendered by the way.  If you guys are going to use a trailer to get down to the border, you are welcome to store the vehicle and trailer at my property. 

Olé! Kavi.

Edited by Kavika1991
  • Like 1