Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hello from Montreal, Canada, about to sell my Svartpilen for a T700!

PAlex

Hello everyone, wish you a merry Xmas! I've had my licence this last april, and bought a Svartpilen 401 which I love; but, I want to go on adventures and the Svart' is more of a city bike! So, hoping to know you a bit more here and about your bike, the Tenere 700. Cheers!

• Like 3

:withstupid:
You need at least 2 bikes for when one is out for service or waiting for parts when you broke it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And, with two bikes, when you go on a date and the ladies ask if you have 4 wheels, you can answer yes.  

Welcome aboard @PAlex.  Post a picture of your new Tenere when you find one.  Good luck on fining one too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ahah, love your replies. I already have two bikes actually, in Canada my Svart and in France fo when I get home a SWM Six Days 440, which leans a bit more toward something off road oriented (a bit...!). 
I'm really happy to have found this website, y'all seem very nice and passionate about your bikes! Has any of you pictures of their T700? I'll try to put some of my Svart and Six Days

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered yhe Tenere! In blue. Hopefully it'll be there early for the next riding season! 

I've purchased the rally seat as well.

2022_yam_xtz700_eu_dpbmc_sta_001_03_preview.jpg

• Like 2

Hi, I am from Laval actually, but I say Montreal on the web, people outside Quebec do not know Laval 🙂

I want to get that same bike, same color.  I hope you do not mind that I am copying you 🙂

What made you decide on the T7, and not a Norden?  Since you already own an Husqvarna...  

I like the looks of the Norden, but reliability is a big factor in my purchase decisions, and it will surely not be on par with Yamaha.  I always try to avoid developing a relationship with my dealer.  

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 1:44 PM, Landshark said:

And, with two bikes, when you go on a date and the ladies ask if you have 4 wheels, you can answer yes.  

Welcome aboard @PAlex.  Post a picture of your new Tenere when you find one.  Good luck on fining one too.

I do not know how expensive insurance and registration are in Alberta, but in Quebec they charge a lot!  And we have to pay for the insurance part on every bike (!).  The tag is cheap, around 60 or 80$, but the government insurance is about 500$, per bike, per year.  That's why many only own 1 bike.

Edited by WastedMind3500

6 hours ago, WastedMind3500 said:

I do not know how expensive insurance and registration are in Alberta, but in Quebec they charge a lot!  And we have to pay for the insurance part on every bike (!).  The tag is cheap, around 60 or 8$, but the government insurance is about 500$, per bike, per year.  That's why many only own 1 bike.

Insurance.  I have a clean driving record and I paid 388 Canadian dollars for full insurance last year.  I expect it to be the same again or less as they have changed the way the insurance companies pay out and how you make a claim.  You can buy basic insurance for about 100 or so dollars less but it won't include collision insurance, fire, theft or vandalism, so whats the sense.  Some Canadian provinces charge a ton of money to insure.  Saskatchewan is horrible at twice or more the price of Alberta.   Keep in mind folks that you can only ride during the summer months or about 5 and a half months a year.  Good deal for the insurance company.  Also, if you have a few points racked up on your license, you will pay more.  I'm very careful when riding in an urban setting.  

Registration is another matter that pisses me off but that's for a different rant.

What are other Canadian provinces charging? 

What are others around the world paying for a year?

I'd like to know.  

In Estonia for 6 months full insurance that covers your own fault, deers etc is ~500 eur and regular one is 30-40. Not many insurance companies that even offer this.

• Like 1

Her in SW Ontario farm country, I pay around $450 for the DR650 and $800 for The T7, both full coverage with low deductible.  Down here I can ride most moths of the year, but main mileage starts to increase at the end of march and peters off late October, not many months I havent at least got the DR out for a spin, last was Dec. 31st.

Its the price you have to pay unfortunately ,  seems like a deal as I pay around $450/yr for the sled that I get a few weeks at best riding on, lol!

• Like 1

@WastedMind3500 I do not mind you "copying me", cause it could be me copying you! Ahah. Really glad we're getting the exact same bike 😉

As for the Norden : it was my first choice, especially because I own a Husqvarna. I love my Svartpilen, it's punchy and unique design wise. I like the brand's slick approach to things, from visuals, to conception and finish quality.

But! The Norden is quite expensive (ircc around 16K CAD before taxes), and as I only got my licence last year (will have the full licence this year actually), I thought I'd start in the adv world with something cheaper so I can be (a bit) less scared to play with it... and drop it!

The Norden is so unique in its design. That round front light... love it. Plus it has, like the T7, this whole "dakar" design to it, which I think is outstanding. I've also red that the way Husqvarna designed the fuel tank lowers the center of mass for better off road maniabilty, as opposed to the T7 which tank seems to be situated pretty high.

But, hey. 12K CAD before taxes (for the T7) is already quite a price for a bike, so let's see in the futur about the Norden?

What about you? Why do you choose the T7 over other bikes, outside of reliability?

Edited by PAlex

Regarding insurance, registration, ...  I might not have been clear enough for folks outside Quebec.  So we have to pay:

- registration.  The tag or license plate.  45$ per bike.

- government insurance.  This covers your personal injury.  If you ever get into a vehicle accident, it will cover health care expanses, physio, and some disability payments (God forbid you ever need it).  And that is paid whether the accident is your fault or not. For 2021 its 640$ per vehicle (for the "least" risk motorcycles.  For high risk it jumps to more than 1000$!  But T7 is not high risk).

- personal insurance.  This is for repairs, fire, vandalism, theft, personal liability.  This varies a lot, I paid around 250$ since I combine my home and car insurance with the same company.

So I pay for the government insurance 3 times.  1* with the car, 2* with the motorcycles (mine and my girlfriend's).  But I can only get injured on one vehicle at a time.  Go figure...

Why am I looking at a T7?  I am not getting any younger (got my license at 40, I am 48), so I want a bike on which I sit straight.  I started on a used VStrom (2009).  I loved it, rode it a lot (tail of the dragon 3 times, Cape Breton, Maritime).   Did all my mechanics myself and farkled it like crazy.  Great learning bike.

Last year I got a crazy deal on a Tracer 900 (2019) and I jumped on it.  Compared to a VStrom, it is more sporty, and the 900cc engine was very nice!  I never reached the limit of that bike like I did on the VStrom.  But the transmission had a crazy noise, so I got rid of it at the end of season.  As of right now I have no motorcycle (but winter anyway!).

So I would like an adv bike for next year.

- VStrom, not great for off-road, had one, great reliability and ease of maintenance but a bit bland. 

- Africa Twin, big and expansive.  And tubes...

- Honda 500x, too small engine (where's the Transalp Honda?!?  Or a mid-size AT?). 

- Honda NC750.  Not an off-roader and I am not that old 🙂

- BMW, too expensive cost of ownership, and I can't do my own mechanics much. 

- Tiger, poor dealer support and the frame bites in my knees.  It is just at the wrong height, sitting and standing up.  And I do not trust the reliability.

- Norden and KTM, I worry about reliability and $$$.  Norden is brand new, lets wait a year at least and see.

- T7: almost decided to get one.  Show stopper 1: transmission noise like my Tracer?  Apparently not form comments I read here.  Show stopper 2: tubes.  I'll have to bite the bullet on that one I think.  Lastly get a new one or get used?  Depends on $ and included farkles.  Still looking!

I tend to agonise over such big purchases, but I like the process of reading on it and debating with myself 🙂.  

Edited by WastedMind3500
  • Like 2

I personally am not going to worry about the noise in the transmission and motor as it's just normal in my opinion.  You don't have a bike and you need one so if you get a T7 it will be perfect until you find the love of your bike life.  It will sell real quick if you don't like it.  But if you do like it, you'll have one.  Better to have one to sell than trying to buy one to use.  

Be sure to post a pic of your new Tenere! 😊