Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

shock linkage bearings

bth2

hi all,

it looks like my lower linkage bearings have a bit of play so ready for a change. does anybody know if yamaha sell the bearings and the  journal separately or does it all come in a kit. id rather get my own quality bearings. if the journal is goosed i will have to go the stealer route.

cheers

What do you mean with "journal"?
Is that a British thing or one of the things i not yet learned about (English is not my native language).

The T7 parts catalogue lists bearings, seals and collars but doesn't seem to show a separate "journal" around the bearing? I might be misinterpreting which part is the journal so here's a screenshot from the catalogue.

720716926_T7linkageparts.thumb.jpg.21df882fd432685524d69eb475de34c6.jpg

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

What do you mean with "journal"?
Is that a British thing or one of the things i not yet learned about (English is not my native language).

number 35 , the hardened tubey typy thingy that runs between bolt and bearings 😉 they call it a collar

Edited by bth2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"the hardened tubey typy thingy that runs between bolt and bearings"

@bth2  Ahh, OK, that's what's labelled as the collars in the catalogue?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bth2 said:

number 35 , the hardened tubey typy thingy that runs between bolt and bearings 😉 they call it a collar

Okay. For me every journal is something with words, spoken or written.
But they sell it separate but you probably already discovered by the picture posted by Uncle M.
The OEM bearings are not bad but break way too soon due to lack of grease from the factory.
But buying from another source might safe you a few quit though.

26 minutes ago, bth2 said:

This type of technical mechanical lingo is quite appreciable.
   Most of the slop in my suspension seems to happen at the lower end of the dog bones as well. Some small amount of it has been present since new. So uncertain if new bearings & tubey type thingies will solve entirely. Still worth a try given those parts are probably reasonably priced. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Okay. For me every journal is something with words, spoken or written.
But they sell it separate but you probably already discovered by the picture posted by Uncle M.
The OEM bearings are not bad but break way too soon due to lack of grease from the factory.
But buying from another source might safe you a few quit though.

you never know with spare parts.the drawing may show separate items but may only be available as a collection of parts.  about a 1000 mls i stripped the linkage down and packed the bearings with grease. they had some grease from the factory but not much. a job to do .

17 minutes ago, bth2 said:

you never know with spare parts.the drawing may show separate items but may only be available as a collection of parts.  about a 1000 mls i stripped the linkage down and packed the bearings with grease. they had some grease from the factory but not much. a job to do .

When parts are not sold separate they mostly don't have a number on it's own and are also shown as a group with a line around with a number. With Honda it's in that case always has "assy" in the name from "assembly" but parts do can have own numbers within an assy.
For example, the clutchplates for my CT only can be purchased as a set (number 7).
afbeelding.thumb.png.8767aea86f4dbe72490313a0eef1ff55.png

• Like 2

having a few moments...i decided to chase up the shock linkage (bell crank) bearings.    all needle roller bearings.

drawing number          oem number               size                 number required

swinging arm bearings                         7                         93317-22262        22 x 28 x 16                x 3 off

27                       93315-31758          17 x 24 x 15                x 2 off

33                       93317-21746          17 x 24 x 15                x 4 off

39                      93317-31771            17 x 24 x 20               x  1 off

collar                                                            35                       90387-126Y1          12 x 17 x 76                x 2 off

collar                                                            41                       90387-127W0        12 x 17 x 30                x 1 off

collar                                                            29                       90387-124v0           ?      ?       ?                  x 1 off     

seal                                                                34                       93109-17071           17 x 24 x 3                 x 4 off       ( i can only find 4mm at outside suppliers   )

all these parts appear to be quite common throughout the yamaha range old and new.                                           

Edited by bth2
additions
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

when i replace the lower linkage bearings 17 x 24 x 15 i will check to see if i can use a longer bearing .in theory to spread the load more and possibly last longer.

i can get them in 15mm ,20mm and 25mm from outside suppliers.