Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hello from Cleveland, Ohio USA!

NDspd

I don't have a T7 in my possession quite yet, but I see one in the near future (next March). I've been on all kinds of bikes and owned a couple (Kawi 250, SV650, Triumph Speedy 955i) and had to sell the last one right as Covid started up....man I miss it! I'm actually looking for a bike to get around as I drive an RV around North America and photograph race cars at tracks all over the place. I'll be on wet grassy hills, gravel roads, highways, etc...and in virtually all conditions except snow. After all that chaos finishes for the year I want a bike that I can have fun with, travel and explore. All told, I think the T7 is the perfect fit for what I want to do with my riding now and in the future. 

I wouldn't call it a concern, just an uncertainty, what is it like riding on tubed tires? What tires should I consider if I'm doing 80-90% street and 20-10% gravel/light dirt?

9 hours ago, NDspd said:

I wouldn't call it a concern, just an uncertainty, what is it like riding on tubed tires? What tires should I consider if I'm doing 80-90% street and 20-10% gravel/light dirt?

Riding on tubed tyres is the same as tubeless, profit of the tubeless is just that a small puncture is easier to fix but the downside is that if it comes off the rim it's way harder if not impossible to reseat it because hand pumps or the small compressors lack the boost.
Airing down and/or difficult terrain is cause for tyres to get off the rim and that's also why tubes are mostly used on offroad orientated bikes.
For tyres in your case i would recommend the Michelin Anakee Adventure but first wear the tyre down that's on it already.

2 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Riding on tubed tyres is the same as tubeless, profit of the tubeless is just that a small puncture is easier to fix but the downside is that if it comes off the rim it's way harder if not impossible to reseat it because hand pumps or the small compressors lack the boost.
Airing down and/or difficult terrain is cause for tyres to get off the rim and that's also why tubes are mostly used on offroad orientated bikes.
For tyres in your case i would recommend the Michelin Anakee Adventure but first wear the tyre down that's on it already.

Oh ok that's understandable, what do you guys use to inflate tires if off-road? I'll add those Michelins to my list, thanks!!

Edited by NDspd

37 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I usually don't deflate but run on an average pressure of 1,7bar (25PSI) in the front and 1,9bar (28PSI) in the back but i have a mini compressor Rocky Creek compressor with a simple analogue Pressure gauge for when i do need to deflate of had a flat.

Whoa! I've never seen one that small and perfect for motorcycles. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, NDspd said:

Oh ok that's understandable, what do you guys use to inflate tires if off-road? I'll add those Michelins to my list, thanks!!

I carry a Slime brand compressor.  Fairly mini in size and works well.  Similar to this but not the same.  Mine is no longer made.

Just now, Landshark said:

I carry a Slime brand compressor.  Fairly mini in size and works well.  Similar to this but not the same.  Mine is no longer made.

Ahhh ok, wish I had one of these in my earlier years of riding.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@NDspdWelcome to the forum. I'm in the camp that the oem Pirellies will serve you well for 80-90% Street use.  Curious as to how you're going to transport your bike on the RV? Hitch mounted carrier, trailer?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Just now, AZJW said:

@NDspdWelcome to the forum. I'm in the camp that the oem Pirellies will serve you well for 80-90% Street use.  Curious as to how you're going to transport your bike on the RV? Hitch mounted carrier, trailer?

I have a small trailer hitched on the back with wheel chocks and straps.

Good to know on the stock tires.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NDspd said:

Is it me or are these bikes very hard to find?

No, it's not just you, they're really tough to find and being in the right place at the right time has a lot to do with finding one or waiting awhile. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

3 hours ago, AZJW said:

No, it's not just you, they're really tough to find and being in the right place at the right time has a lot to do with finding one or waiting awhile. 

Hmm, looks like I'm going to have to start making some calls.