Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Owners Age Poll & use

AZJW

T7 Owners Age  

87 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

Bot my T7 2 months before turning 66. Started with a Honda CT 70, worked my way to a Suzuki 90, Yamaha MX125, Suzuki TM125, RM125's and a RM400 in 1979. Raced motocross in the 70's and then stopped once I started a "real job".  Never rode the street and always said I would not unless there were no cars on the roads. Then nearly retired a few years ago, I bot a 2018 WR250R and rode with the best of them on asphalt, forest roads, bdr's, etc. It is great! Have wanted a T7 for the last 18 months. 

Yesterday I laid my T7 down very gently in the yard (on a piece of carpet!) and attempted to pick it up. Can't get any easier than that. Had to call my wife to help me! So the plan for this winter is to start some strength training, lose some weight, and buy or build a moto winch pick up tool!  

Dave.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

@Dualsport Dave Congrats on getting a T7. You are not alone regarding issues lifting one off the ground and although strength is a factor, the real issue is how flat the T7 lies. My son & I both sport 36" inseams and neither of us can solo lift the T7. He's a strong kid benching 225, so strength isn't the problem,  leverage is as we just can't get low enough.  I carry a Dirt Napper lift, but there are many to choose from. I've read good things about the Eastbound lift, so you might check those out. I built a tool tube to carry mine, but many strap them to the seat for easy access. 

https://eastbound.shop/?v=796834e7a283

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks for the info. I have been reviewing the discussions, methods and tools for picking it up. I agree with the leverage. That really is key. I am 6' and not as flexible as I used to be.  I could not get low enough in a backwards pick up method. 

As to laying flat - here it is on its exhaust side, rear wheel off the ground!

By the way, my second motive for laying it down was to install the Camel Adv kick stand spring.

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

• Like 3

Actually the only way for me to pick her up is one which is rarely recommended by any instructor: Use the handlebar as a lever (the end which lies on the ground). It's definitely not the best method for protecting your back, but any other method simply won't do if you're alone and don't have a winch. At least for me.

I can do it maybe 3-4 times a day, then I'm done.

For me, it's impossible to perform a backwards lift or a forward lift (grabbing under the bike and pushing it upwards from your legs). It's just too close to the ground for me, I can't get in a position which allows me to apply enough force AND not have my feet slide away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is one of the relatively few benefits of being a 300lb ogre; I just grab the bars and snatch it up right, like a dirt bike. I've also been known to grab the tail section and lift/drag it out of a rut. 😂🤣

• Haha 1

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️