Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700 vs Dakar Rally Bike

AZJW

• Moderators

Seeing as Dakar 2022 is starting tomorrow,  thought this video comparison might be of interest.  The author has raced in the Dakar so I respect his opinions, plus he seems like a really nice kid.  

• Like 6

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

In this company the T7 is outclassed, being much heavier and higher COG. But if he can get the weight down to say 190 kgs (420 lbs), lower the triple clamps on the forks and fit narrower wheels and tires, I think that the T7 will feel a lot more like the rally bike. 

Edited by TimeMachine

He will have to as well change suspension to something with decent travel, as 210mm wont cut it... and this will raise COG... vicious circle, better admit that Tenere is designed for someting else and not compare it to a rally bike. 

44 minutes ago, Bartek said:

He will have to as well change suspension to something with decent travel, as 210mm wont cut it... and this will raise COG... vicious circle, better admit that Tenere is designed for someting else and not compare it to a rally bike. 

Long travel suspension can afford to be more plush and still resist bottoming out. But quality suspension can close the gap.

No one is saying the T7 could compete with a rally bike, but you can make the T7 very accomplished with the right mods. I think Llewelyn could go even further with the mods and make them closer in feel, if not outright performance. 

The T7 in the video is running our Rally Raid Products Closed Cartridge Fork Kit & Twin-Piston shock, both 200mm travel, available from stock:

We have Pol Tarres running our 230mm Rally shock on the Yamaha T7 Raid bikes, he is VERY tall and a great rider, who can cope with the extra seat height & raised COG

• Like 1

You can change suspension in T7, make it more like a rally baike, but it will be still lacking performance of he proper rally bike, which was said in this video... plus it will ruin the comfort and practicality of adventure bike... i learn the hard way - upgraded suspension with K-tech kit and this made the bike much less comfortable on the road. It has to be hard to avoid bottoming out bike with 200kgs on 210mm suspension. Llewelyn also make it clear in this video that this bike SOLE puropse was to be good offroad, he do not expect it to be comfortable on the road... 

Lot of materials in internet about certain pro-riders riding highly modified T7 in a rally / endurro mode, but reality is - normal bikers like us need a bike to get to those green lanes on the tamac, and to enjoy this trip as well... In Europe if you want to go offroad in adventure style you need to spend 80% of your time on the tarmac unfortunately, guys in US or Australia sseems to be more lucky, but not in Europe unfortunately.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

The T7 in the video is running our Rally Raid Products Closed Cartridge Fork Kit & Twin-Piston shock, both 200mm travel, available from stock:

We have Pol Tarres running our 230mm Rally shock on the Yamaha T7 Raid bikes, he is VERY tall and a great rider, who can cope with the extra seat height & raised COG

I've got the open cartridge forks, and tractive shock, plus narrower rear rim and front  wheel combo to allow me to run decent off road rubber from the brilliant @Ktmmitch at Rally Raid and it's absolutely awesome.

I honestly think it's better on the road too. More like a Supermoto. I can swap my wheels in 15 mins tops with the centrestand and front paddock stand. My T7 is night and day better from when I bought it. It also has decat Arrow Ti headers, MTC carbon can, foam air filter and MWR top with a full Dave Wood Racing reflash. It's an absolute weapon and I love it.

It's never going to be as good off road on the horrendous rutted, sloppy muddy lanes in the UK right now as my KTM525EXC, but it's an awesome bit of kit. The T7 did me proud off roading in the Pyrenees and Picos de Europa.

Rich

Edited by Rich TT

I think the "vs" is just used because it's short but he probably meant "compared to".
What i see in this film is not that the T7 is far from a rally bike but the T7 does a good job in stock trim but pretty damn good with some modifications and those modifications come with a price but stay within reason.