Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Adventure Spec Luggage Plate DIY pannier

RagingBullFish

Hey all,

wanted to post up my diy/custom panniers out of a pelican 1430 case. 
i absolutely do not like the large pannier from the big name companies, most of them are too big for my needs and they stick out a good ways from the side. 
SO, I have my adventure spec luggage plates and essentially made a backing plate to bolt the cases right to the luggage plate. They seem to be fairly sturdy, and the way I mounted them, they can move around a bit in case of laying the bike down, instead of possible breaking the rack, the cases can move. 
i have ordered the other side box and will install the other side to match. Luckily I have a high mount exhaust from huzar and that wouldn’t be in the way at all. 
The bag on the passenger pillion is the touratech extreme waterproof expandable tail bag, and I have a rotopax mount on the top of the adventure spec rear rack. 
Let me know if you guys had any questions, I had a great time building it and fitting it up, and am very happy with the way they turned out!

95003E30-C311-4360-AE7A-6A121608F577.jpeg

8289CD2D-DFBA-46D9-9295-95AE62FDEDE5.jpeg

42D2DAF2-D0D1-4883-AEA5-98249B56A4E2.jpeg

• Like 3

A pic of the backside plate I had made, basically sandwiches the luggage rack 

and had to cut off a little of the plastic ribs from the pelican case. (Probably wouldn’t have to do that but I did so it would sit flush) 

4DFD9320-13DE-498D-8A40-5DDBED223089.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Did you make the bags quick detachable?   Can you post a picture of the inside of the bag to show how it's secured?   Thanks for the idea as I have the AS side racks and am trying to decided between your solution and soft bags.  

20 minutes ago, NWrider said:

Did you make the bags quick detachable?   Can you post a picture of the inside of the bag to show how it's secured?   Thanks for the idea as I have the AS side racks and am trying to decided between your solution and soft bags.  

I had tried and tried to find a good latch for the side plates but didn’t want to drill into the plates themselves, so I made them just bolt on, not really a pain to take off but a couple minutes. I’m fine with them as they’re a sliding mount I guess you could call it, that way when I dump the bike they aren’t bolted directly to the luggage plate and can slide up or down in hopes the boxes will move instead of bending the rack. 
Two aluminum plates and two stainless Allen head bolt and nylock nuts 

pelican is the 1430, total cost was under 250 bucks for both boxes and the aluminum and bolts. Far cheaper than any other pannier 

B48E3933-9206-47EC-85E6-231B1D116E5B.jpeg