Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What are you doing for extra front spot or flood lights on your T700?

NeilW

What lights did you choose, how did you mount them, how did you wire them and what on/off switch are you using? Pix please - thanks all.

I have the Cyclops with Halo on my wish-list. @Camel ADVcarries them now, so as soon as my paycheck gets paid into the Camel ADV account...

I have the Yamaha  genuine light brackets fitted, the bike has location points on the frame.

And ebay LED's which are very good apart from the handlebar switch which I replaced with a better quality one.

I wired them to the assceory connection on the right side so they run thorough the ignition switch.

Fog light brackets.jpg

• Like 1

I've gone for a single Denali D4 on the right of my bike for now with a simple "on/off" switch. 

This adds a decent amount of light when riding at night (not tried in the fog yet) and improves visibility to other road users. I might get a second light in the future, but quite like the asymmetric look? I might also add the data dim module which allows high / low beam options, but I'm not sure this is actually necessary (I've not been flashed at for having it on full power the whole time so might just leave it simple).

I ordered the light from amazon and the wiring direct from Denali, as this worked out cheaper than ordering the full kit.

20210918_172216.jpg

20210918_172241.jpg

• Like 2

If I ever add any, they’ll be steering mounted & switched independent of the headlight.

• Like 1

I bought a 6" LED bar on Ali but don't have it mounted yet.
Wanted it under de triple clamp but on a quick look the crashbar might be in the way, in that case it will probably end up under the crashbar. Hope a can get it mounted that it turns with the steering to point in the right direction as the headlights already go straight.
It will be switched together with the high beam.

• Supporting Vendor
On 1/4/2022 at 7:26 PM, thepointchris said:

I have the Cyclops with Halo on my wish-list. @Camel ADVcarries them now, so as soon as my paycheck gets paid into the Camel ADV account...

LOL! We're still waiting for that deposit too!

• Haha 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

For now,

20220107_053726.jpg

• Confused 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Baja Designs lights mounted to turn with the forks. The kit came with the necessary wiring and clear instructions. I have HDB guards and made a bracket to mount the switch in the center of the bars.

Might look like there's no room for the lights at full lock, but they fit and have been fine for thousands of miles.

IMG_1937.thumb.jpg.451acb7e8c5069dc51acbebf7a56d78b.jpg

Edited by palada
  • Like 4

Is anyone using the actual power from the right aux connector or only using it to switch the relay??

8 hours ago, NeilW said:

Is anyone using the actual power from the right aux connector or only using it to switch the relay??

I use that connection for power, but only because my lights don’t use much. I’d use only as relay if they used more power. 

Diode dynamics 6" light bar/custom bracket on the crash bars. AUX power hookup and switch on the bars. Didn't bother with a relay. After using it on a couple long trips, I think I'd prefer to have it be relay-ed in with the high beam, and just have the switch be an enable rather than on off. 

892F203A-215E-45F3-AB43-4E9DAB317110.jpeg

3 hours ago, palada said:

I use that connection for power, but only because my lights don’t use much. I’d use only as relay if they used more power. 

Where did you buy the female mate connector or did you just attach to the yellow wire directly ?

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, DuncMan said:

Be VERY careful doing that. That's what fried my ECU and cost me over £1k to fix. 😮 Another thing to consider: I mounted my light bar exactly where you have yours. When I looked at the max travel in the forks in relation to that position, if I hit anything hard and the forks travelled close to max, the light bar would be history. As a result, I moved mine up in line with the crash bar.

R-4.thumb.png.5826aacc1b402f68bd3c70732c204ea3.png

R-6.thumb.jpg.4855db8840b71025ea5666a317dd58af.jpg

I'd be surprised. I got the tape measure out and there was definitely enough clearance. The distance of 100% remaining shock travel (tube to bottom of stanchion) is larger than fender to light bar. I railed the AZ BDR with it with zero problems, including more than a couple bottom outs. It's definitely something to be aware of, but the bracket is as high and tight as possible, and the bar is relatively narrow, so it's done alright.  I can't see how installing a light would kill your ECU, especially with the fusing. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:27 AM, NeilW said:

Where did you buy the female mate connector or did you just attach to the yellow wire directly ?

I don't remember specifically, but I'm sure it was either Eastern Beaver or Cycle Terminal.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/

https://cycleterminal.com/motorcycle-connectors.html

8 hours ago, DuncMan said:

You need to be careful with that yellow wire. It's only 0.9V and if you accidentally send more down it it kills something in the ECU. There are several threads about it on here. 

Ahh yeah. Just looked at the wiring diagram. Headlight power is from the ECU, not it's own 12V. There's probably no reverse current or voltage protection on it. Would have to be a little careful then with the relay. 

Edited by SpankyPineapple
  • Like 1

I just installed the OEM brackets and Pia lights. It was plug and play as the power cable was already there. No direct battery connection and an easy mount handle bar switch. I found a guy selling the brackets on eBay for $54 shipped, so I saved a bit on those.

Edited by Sunchild714
  • Like 1

Bought some cheap led fog/reversing lights (they will brake apart anyway) and going to mount them to the Motortek's crash bars with some pipe clamps. No pictures yet, sorry. Bought the lights but missing all the needed electrical stuff. And the time. Going to wire them with relay, fuse and a switch. Probably take the "starter power" (don't know the right term) what relay needs from rear light. Not going to touch the bikes electrical system any other way. I will try to post some pictures. Installing probably in February. Or in March.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

4 hours ago, Sunchild714 said:

I just installed the OEM brackets and Pia lights. It was plug and play as the power cable was already there. No direct battery connection and an easy mount handle bar switch. I found a guy selling the brackets on eBay for $54 shipped, so I saved a bit on those.

By “already there” what do you mean? Which side, where, which connector ? 3 wire or 2 wire?

Thanks

• Like 2

There is a 2 wire power cable behind the right side front fender that you plug into. The power  connector was taped-up with a terminator plug out of the factory. Just pull the terminator and plug in the Piaa 'Y' cable and you are good to go.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:47 AM, SpankyPineapple said:

Ahh yeah. Just looked at the wiring diagram. Headlight power is from the ECU, not it's own 12V. There's probably no reverse current or voltage protection on it. Would have to be a little careful then with the relay. 

I am so confused. Talking about he right side open male aux connector- isn’t it switched 12v on a 2 amp fuse?

why can’t I run the yellow wire to a switch and from the switch to the relay to “trigger” the relay - that has power coming directly from the battery to energize the extra fog lights ??

what am I missing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

I am so confused. Talking about he right side open male aux connector- isn’t it switched 12v on a 2 amp fuse?

why can’t I run the yellow wire to a switch and from the switch to the relay to “trigger” the relay - that has power coming directly from the battery to energize the extra fog lights ??

what am I missing. 

Both sides of the bike have 2 connectors. Both the right side and the left side have a 2 pin and a 3 pin. 

The left 2 pin is occupied by the factory cigarette plug. 

Both 2 pin share the same 2 amp fuse. Both 3 pin share the same 10 amp fuse. 

The yellow wire for high beams has can be used to trigger lights using either a relay or a skene dimmer without a relay. It needs to be setup to act as a ground trigger, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMRT7 said:

Both sides of the bike have 2 connectors. Both the right side and the left side have a 2 pin and a 3 pin. 

The left 2 pin is occupied by the factory cigarette plug. 

Both 2 pin share the same 2 amp fuse. Both 3 pin share the same 10 amp fuse. 

The yellow wire for high beams has can be used to trigger lights using either a relay or a skene dimmer without a relay. It needs to be setup to act as a ground trigger, though. 

Thank you so much for this info. I am soooo close to understanding what to do. 
please be simple. 
in the below, 86 - the trigger wire, How do I set it up as a “ ground” trigger. What wire goes to the switch. Thanks again. 1C9AC38C-7CB1-4F01-9D19-A88C08D3A07E.thumb.jpeg.4421410abf4129efb096b0347a03b281.jpeg