Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Transmission high pitch wine, Yamaha issue or just my old Tracer 900?

WastedMind3500

Last summer I rode a 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900.   And I ended up selling it after only one summer.  I loved the bike except for a super loud high pitch wine originating from the transmission.  I was loudest in 6th gear around 85 to 95 km/h.  The only solution was to shift down or go faster.  On the highway (over 110 km/h) it was super quiet, a great ride!

That noise could not be cancelled with earplugs, my girlfriend on her bike could hear it, I even had passers by turn their heads wondering what was going on.  I got headaches too.  So I sold the bike.

My research on Tracer forums indicated that the Yamaha transmission used in that bike was "roughly" machined and did have a tendency to somehow produce these high pitch noises.  I investigated other sources and eliminated them one by one, until all that was left was the transmission.  The mechanics at my local dealer are useless, they can change tires and chains, but not much more...

So now for 2022, I am looking into a T7.  I did some off-road last summer (trans-Labrador loop from Montreal, through Newfoundland and the Maritimes), and I want to do more .

My question is: how noisy is the transmission on your bikes?  Not shifting gears, but riding at a steady speed.  Does the T7 have the same kind of issue?  Are certain speeds using certain gears super noisy?

My hope is to avoid an overall Yamaha issue with my next purchase.

Thanks!

Edited by WastedMind3500

I have not had any unusual noise issues with my T7.  No whine or chatter or banging.  So far. (3000+kms)   You need a Tenere to ride in your chosen area IMO.  You'll be able to explore way more and further back then ever before.  

Not noticed any noise from the transmission (2020 T7) keep the chain tensioned and lined up correctly that can get a bit rough on gear changes if you don't.  

26 minutes ago, WastedMind3500 said:

Are certain speeds using certain gears super noisy?

Possibly ‘Havana Syndrome’ an ‘Act of War’ or ‘Mass Hysteria’

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 hours ago, WastedMind3500 said:

Last summer I rode a 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900.   And I ended up selling it after only one summer.  I loved the bike except for a super loud high pitch wine originating from the transmission.  I was loudest in 6th gear around 85 to 95 km/h.  The only solution was to shift down or go faster.  On the highway (over 110 km/h) it was super quiet, a great ride!

That noise could not be cancelled with earplugs, my girlfriend on her bike could hear it, I even had passers by turn their heads wondering what was going on.  I got headaches too.  So I sold the bike.

My research on Tracer forums indicated that the Yamaha transmission used in that bike was "roughly" machined and did have a tendency to somehow produce these high pitch noises.  I investigated other sources and eliminated them one by one, until all that was left was the transmission.  The mechanics at my local dealer are useless, they can change tires and chains, but not much more...

So now for 2022, I am looking into a T7.  I did some off-road last summer (trans-Labrador loop from Montreal, through Newfoundland and the Maritimes), and I want to do more .

My question is: how noisy is the transmission on your bikes?  Not shifting gears, but riding at a steady speed.  Does the T7 have the same kind of issue?  Are certain speeds using certain gears super noisy?

My hope is to avoid an overall Yamaha issue with my next purchase.

Thanks!

I own a 2019 Tracer GT and it has a definite 6th gear whine that doesn’t bother me too much as I have hearing loss and wear ear plugs while riding.  My 2021 Tenere 700 with 14,500 miles makes no unusual noises and has a great engine overall.  My 2021 Super Tenere sounds like an agricultural thrashing machine😳 when running.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 1

I experienced the same gear whine noise on a 2019 Niken GT demo ride in 3rd thru 6th gears, although the Tracer 900 GT I rode at the same demo did not produce it.   The CP2 motor noise that may be noticeable to you is a whir/wine attributed to the cam chain tensioner that can vary in output/intensity from bike to bike but seems to be common to all Yamaha motors utilizing the same tensioner design & so far don t believe it has ever resulted in a reliability issue...click this link for audio file .... the CP2 motor, which is identical to the MT-07 has had an enviable reliability reputation since it's introduction about 5 years ago.

20190510_133848.jpg

Yamaha Tenere 700, Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ES, Ride Reviews

Edited by prowlnS10

Thanks for the audio file, the sound I am referring to is more like a "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu".  Super steady.  Like something was hitting its resonance frequency.

I expect some noise.  I used to ride a Vstrom 650 2009, my girlfriend a Versys 2013, engine and transmission "kerclunks" are frequent.  This was continuous and would appear suddenly at a precise RPM, and disappear when speeding up.