Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Skid plate DIY

Leo89

Question

hi folks,

i wuld create my own Skid Plate starting from 4mm steel sheet.
does anyone tried?

becouse i would start from the measure of an existing one, but i don't have one, does anyone give me the measurements of their own?

8 answers to this question

I would trow away the steel and use 4mm aluminium.

Just make a template with Cardboard and tape. When you're happy with te shape take the tape away and you can trace it onto the aluminium.

• Like 4

I have a Camel skid plate.  But it is protected against copy by the big dog he has in the shop.  That dog will bite your ass off for that.  

However, you could always draw one out on a piece of paper or use a cad program.  I have an original I could measure but you probably have one too.  

What part of the world are you in.  Maybe someone is close to you and can let you measure theirs.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Moved to Tech Questions 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

7 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

easier to work with.

It might depend on the welder you have and your skill level

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

29 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

It might depend on the welder you have and your skill level

I think so, too. Not everyone can do TIG welding (or has the equipment). Steel is a great material, in general less likely to break and with a higher strength than aluminum, so it can be made thinner. So I guess 3mm sheet steel should be a better choise, weight-wise (and probably still as strong as 4mm aluminum).

It tends to slide better over rocks, too (not kidding, one of my other hobbies is RC rock rawling, we all avoid any aluminum hardware in direct contat with rocks. Steel is better although not comparable to Delrin or similar materials.).

yes maybe 3mm is enaught.
Stell becouse i can weld it myself,

And if you brake it in the middle of nothing is easier find somehome how know weld stell intead of aluminium

so i think i'll start from the original plate help myself with cardboard and adhesive tape.

I would like to build it myself, not so much for the cost, but because I would like to have something self-made rather than bought.

I searched a lot on internet but I have not found anyone who has made it by themselves for the T7

• Like 3

Problem with steel is besides weight also rust.
If you can't weld Aluminium you can also rivet it, just make an overlap and drill some holes.
4mm aluminium is lighter than 2mm steel.
I did some changes on the skidplate on my XT660Z to protect the waterpump and hoses but i can weld aluminium.
The shiny bits are what i made, i chose the letters for cooling slots.
IMG_20210304_184116.thumb.jpg.08f7971f6ed07ccc249120793c242178.jpg

IMG_20210304_185613.thumb.jpg.38acb688ef9878689d4005d19fc297d2.jpg

• Like 4