Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Extended warranty or no extended warranty???

devind93

After 8 months of waiting, my dealer finally has a bike for me to purchase. They’re recommending a 3 year extended warranty for just under $900. With the exceptional reliability this bike usually boasts, is it worth it?

No

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Depends on what the warranty covers.
If there are faults in the fabrication then i think these will come to light within the standard warranty.
Can you do work on the bike yourself of do you have to go to a dealer for everything? When you can do a lot yourself a lot can break before you reach $900 and when you take the bike offroad you get told that it's not covered anyway.
For me also a no.

• Like 1

No…..my T7 is 18 months old with 15,000 miles and has been flawless.  I’ve on my 5th Yamaha Super Tenere in over ten years ….. flawless with only two minor recalls in that time.  I have never purchased an extended warranty on a car/truck or motorcycle in the last 50 years……and have never wished I had.

35 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

No…..my T7 is 18 months old with 15,000 miles and has been flawless.  I’ve on my 5th Yamaha Super Tenere in over ten years ….. flawless with only two minor recalls in that time.  I have never purchased an extended warranty on a car/truck or motorcycle in the last 50 years……and have never wished I had.

My dealer is now telling me that the extended warranty will repair and replace pretty much anything as long as I’ve maintained service logs. Told me a story about a guy with a sxs who had a log slam through the oil Pan and crack a few gears as well and that it was covered. Sounds pretty fantastic and fairly unlikely. Thoughts?

Edited by devind93

I would still say no…..buy crash bars, handguards, and a good skid plate to help prevent crash damage…..which, I doubt any dealer would cover.  Your insurance policy would cover that type of damage.

• Like 3

Don't do it.  They make a fortune on your fears.  Not necessary to pay out that cash.  Use it to bolster your tool stock and parts supply.  Or spend it on beer and motorcycle parts and maybe just waste the rest!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, devind93 said:

My dealer is now telling me that the extended warranty will repair and replace pretty much anything as long as I’ve maintained service logs. Told me a story about a guy with a sxs who had a log slam through the oil Pan and crack a few gears as well and that it was covered. Sounds pretty fantastic and fairly unlikely. Thoughts?

I call bullshit on that one.

No way a dealer is putting a warranty claim in on  damage like that.

Salesman is trying everything he can to get money from you.  

If it makes you feel better to have a longer warranty then go ahead and get it for piece of mind.  It's your money, only you decide where to spend it.

Personally I did not get any extra warranty.

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, williestreet said:

I call bullshit on that one.

No way a dealer is putting a warranty claim in on  damage like that.

Salesman is trying everything he can to get money from you.  

If it makes you feel better to have a longer warranty then go ahead and get it for piece of mind.  It's your money, only you decide where to spend it.

Personally I did not get any extra warranty.

That was definitely my thought process.

• Moderators

No and for $900?  Hell No!

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I picked up that Warranty for less than $400. For the price, it seemed an easy call, less than $100/year.  The Dealer that sold me my T7 wanted $700.

I can put you in touch, if you want (PM me)

• Like 1

FYI: In Europe (or at least in Germany) 3 additional (!) years of warranty mean around 300€, so let's say roughly 350USD.

This will get you effectively 5 years of warranty in total (2 years default).

Normally when a bike is under warranty, you also have to go to official dealer for maintenance during that period. And then they charge €100 for the oilchange....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

Normally when a bike is under warranty, you also have to go to official dealer for maintenance during that period. And then they charge €100 for the oilchange....

True! Excluding oil.

I change my own oil before service keeps the costs down and the dealer doesn't mind.

2 hours ago, DuncMan said:

My dealer told me any aftermarket (non-Yamaha) parts voided the warranty so I personally wouldn't bother.

DuncMan: those dealer comments should be seen in context, and be qualified - an after market bash guard has no relevance to a blown motor. But a different spec oil, may well have. Ditto for chain, tires etc. 

Just my 2p 😀

22 hours ago, DuncMan said:

My dealer told me any aftermarket (non-Yamaha) parts voided the warranty so I personally wouldn't bother.

I get my oil and filters from the dealer and keep the receipts.

If it's two years? My warranty runs out in March this year i might stay with them for servicing. 

I’m guessing my tuppence isn’t needed but, 

nope. Warranties are the biggest con since insurance. And mortgages. 

• Like 3