Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Broken gear linkage

A.J.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have had the gear linkage bar snap on me. I was stationary at a junction and lost my balance and had to lay the bike down on its right side. Annoying but no biggie. Then when I get the bike upright I notice the gear linkage bar has snapped. Now not sure if the linkage snapping caused my balance to go and then I laid the bike down or did the gentle drop on the opposite side snap it? My local dealer has had one other instance of the linkage snapping. Now I feel that I need to carry a spare just in case. I have done 17,000 carefree miles so far with no problems on the T7 on all sorts of terrain.

22 minutes ago, A.J. said:

I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have had the gear linkage bar snap on me. I was stationary at a junction and lost my balance and had to lay the bike down on its right side. Annoying but no biggie. Then when I get the bike upright I notice the gear linkage bar has snapped. Now not sure if the linkage snapping caused my balance to go and then I laid the bike down or did the gentle drop on the opposite side snap it? My local dealer has had one other instance of the linkage snapping. Now I feel that I need to carry a spare just in case. I have done 17,000 carefree miles so far with no problems on the T7 on all sorts of terrain.

Right side?  Do you mean the clutch lever bar?  Like this part:

IMG_5647_medium.jpg?v=1633889715

The 1 Finger Clutch Kit we designed for the KTM 790ADV has been our best selling product! We've been swamped with requests for a similar kit for the wildly popular Yamaha 700 Tenere. We happy to announce the T7 1...

If you mean the actual shifter arm, I don't know how you'd break that on a right side drop (or why breaking it would cause you to lose balance and fall); but maybe I'm not understanding exactly which part you mean.

Edited by Wintersdark

Sorry my bad for not being clear. The part that broke was the shift rod that connects the gear lever to the gear box. I am mystified as to how it broke or caused my lose of balance. 

20211201_105225.jpg

• Sad 1

Now I'm confused, that silver rod with the banjo hole at the bottom looks fine, can you post a pic of what's actually broken Aj

Here's a warning about working on the gear levers, be careful.

https://www.600rr.net/threads/limp-gear-shifter-what-did-i-do-dont-tap-the-shifter-arm.204098/

Here's a read for a laugh, found it on my investigations of this problem

https://www.lawabidingbiker.com/harley-shifter-problems/

Edited by winddown
  • Thanks 1

It would not take much to snap that rod, especially at the thinnest point at the base of threading. It could have been your left boot as the bike hits the ground, and possible you had a little weight on it. Just bad Luck I reckon.

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 1