Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM Kickstand Snap

Spike4379

Don't panic I had it modified, your OEM is sweet.

Bit of a story happened today.

I had my  t7 lowered because I'm a short ass, had my kick stand professionally adjusted, as in, I marked the middle lower section and said "hey I need 40mm taken out of this, can you do that without compromising its structural rigidity? Because it needs to be able to handle my bike leaning on it and me mounting"

"Yep, not a problem."

Get it back and it looked quite nite, fitted it back on no problems.

This was 15 uses ago, as in 15 times I had put the bike on its side stand. Skip forward to today and the bike was parked stupidly on a slight camber, I jump back on and go to do the nudge to go it back level so I can get the stand up, not quite strong enough for first go, bike nopes and rests back on the stand, gather my thoughts for a second and then something gives way and rests again leaning over more and at this point, I'm in shock thinking "the $%&^?" The bottom had snapped off at the bottom of the weld point and the shaft was sticking in the ground. I didn't know that at the time because after that happened I was in the mid "tiiiiiimmbeeerrr" point when the bike is starting to lean over like its spotted a penny somewhere on the ground, and she went completely down.

I jumped off confused as hell, a lady passed by and offered to help which was great, I was worried about the weight because so many people complain about it and I'm eligible to audition as an oompa loompa at the nearest willy wonka factory. I got it up first go incredibly easy with the top facing down hill after waiting a minute for my adrenaline to slow down.

But man that was my baby, and she fell down the first time today because someone else fucked up. I sure as $%&^ rang the place and held the owner there after closing time explaining that my brand new 2021 yamaha, the only new vehicle ill ever own went down cause his job wasn't good enough.

He said he will have it fixed, reinforced and all that by tomorrow so I will post pictures but it literally looked like the weld was just too thin and it ripped.

I sure as hell won't be paying either.

One silver lining is I feel like I can manage the bike now, I was so scared of it before you know? because of its balance point being so thin due to the top weight. The bike is 10x less intimidating and all I want to do is fling it around and have fun.

The only damage was to my left bark buster and that luckily took 100% of the damage; Although the bike wouldn't start for a solid minute, probably due to the oil shifting to naughty places or something, i dunno.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What an event!  I'm happy to hear you could pick the bike up but did any fuel leak out?  If the weld job doesn't hold up (no pun intended) then a Camel-Adv side stand may be in order.  

I believe there is a cut out for the fuel when the bike falls over.  That may be why it didn't start right up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Landshark said:

What an event!  I'm happy to hear you could pick the bike up but did any fuel leak out?  If the weld job doesn't hold up (no pun intended) then a Camel-Adv side stand may be in order.  

I believe there is a cut out for the fuel when the bike falls over.  That may be why it didn't start right up.

nothing was on the ground like any liquids, i couldn't smell anything burning like oil or fuel if it was only just leaking out onto the case.

Yeah hopefully it was the fuel cut-out but I knew she has a reliable engine and something like that shouldn't stop an adventure bike.

I did look at the camel adv one it is a nice and sturdy design, and its steel too which is way easier to shorten without having problems like these with dodge welds.

Ill be sure to grab a picture when i get it back!

• Like 1

Ah crap I thought I took better pictures.

Walked in today and the guy said he had it bolted and a plate put in the basically make that whole section one solid piece.

I said last time to myself I don't think itll break but it happened. so I'm hoping it doesn't again, or I certainly wont be happy

GOPR1167.JPG

GOPR1165.JPG

GOPR1166.JPG

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Spike4379 said:

Ah crap I thought I took better pictures.

Walked in today and the guy said he had it bolted and a plate put in the basically make that whole section one solid piece.

I said last time to myself I don't think itll break but it happened. so I'm hoping it doesn't again, or I certainly wont be happy

GOPR1167.JPG

GOPR1165.JPG

GOPR1166.JPG

That's much better and I doubt you'll have any further trouble with that. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1