Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

About to buy the T7, few questions

lazycalm

Hi guys,

I wonder if you can clear this things for me:

1.  If I buy the Rally Edition that comes with the Akrapovic exhaust, does the bike come "programmed" for the Akrapovic in particular or is it the same setup as the Stock echaust?

Also,  what are the advantages of the Akra, besides weighing less and sounding better? Does the bike get any more power?

2. Do we really need a Skid plate, isn't the original enough?

3.  What after market brake and clutch levers do you recommend? I really don't like the stock ones

4. Did you solve the problem with the dash moving a lot when going through bumpy roads? What did you do?

5. What accessories do you consider essential to get as soon as I buy the bike? (I'm gonna get crash bars, that one is certain)

Thanks a lot for your help :)

48 minutes ago, lazycalm said:

Hi guys,

1.  If I buy the Rally Edition that comes with the Akrapovic exhaust, does the bike come "programmed" for the Akrapovic in particular or is it the same setup as the Stock echaust?

Also,  what are the advantages of the Akra, besides weighing less and sounding better? Does the bike get any more power?

3.  What after market brake and clutch levers do you recommend? I really don't like the stock ones

4. Did you solve the problem with the dash moving a lot when going through bumpy roads? What did you do?

5. What accessories do you consider essential to get as soon as I buy the bike? (I'm gonna get crash bars, that one is certain)

Thanks a lot for your help 🙂

Hi, i have the rally edition too.

Ad 1:it has the same  program as normal version. When i got mine RE, the original exhaust was mounted, cos akra factory had delivery problems. When the akra came, the dealer just swaped it.

2:the oem rally plate is 4 mm thick and cover good part. For me its strong enough.

3:i have adjustable and foldable levers from Probrake, Germany. Mainly to adjust the clutch lever with thick wintergloves. I dont buy cheap chinese with doubtful quality.

4:i got the Donner-tech anti wobble and their mount for gps. Works great, light and almost not visible, not disturbing But expensive.

5: depends on you use...

• Like 1

I’d get the rally if you like the extra gear on there and the look of it. I considered the blue one but didn’t want the Akra, so I’d be paying for something I would be removing. The end can swap doesn’t need any reprogramming/tuning and sounds pretty much the same as stock. Yes it’s lighter. I would get a heavier duty bash plate for off road malarkey. 
all the Yamaha extra kit is available to buy anyway or loads of different versions according to your taste and needs.  From luggage equipment to screens, guards and lights. So get the cheaper one and pick your extras or start with the rally and alter it as and when you like. It’s a nice choice. Pretty bike. 

if you do get it and don’t like the gold rims, give me a shout😉

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dougie said:

if you do get it and don’t like the gold rims, give me a shout😉

I ordered the white one just so I could get the gold rims, mmmmm, reminds me of a bike I always wanted in my younger days.

1556457526_BIKE34.thumb.jpg.96f10c2f4acdf227fe685c5ae6d3eb7c.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, winddown said:

I ordered the white one just so I could get the gold rims, mmmmm, reminds me of a bike I always wanted in my younger days.

1556457526_BIKE34.thumb.jpg.96f10c2f4acdf227fe685c5ae6d3eb7c.jpg

Yup, the white rallye was what I was waiting for last year and the dealers reckoned it wouldn’t come. Bastards. Now I have to buy the body parts and paint the rims to match my old girl. 

08786B62-7B8A-418A-9CCF-5C169C05A330.png

• Like 3

I was lucky when I was looking for a T700 as a Rally Edition became available at the time.

I still managed to put on a few accessories on.

For me a rack is a must have.

1986 Yamaha XT350.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, lazycalm said:

Hi guys,

1. If any tuning differences are required, it will have been done. No factory would put out a different exhaust set-up without the proper tune. Advantages are likely just sound and weight savings. That exhaust still has to meet emissions standards. Throttle response/ power may be increased but likely only marginally noticeable. 

2. Where are you going to ride it? On the street= no.  Off-road= yes.  Dirt roads only= Use the OEM until you get too many rock dings then replace with aftermarket. 

3. Research this forum. Lots of suggestions you will find.  It’s a personal preference thing I think.  I use “Ride It” brand which is priced in between the super cheap crappy eBay ones and more expensive quality ones. I like them a lot, they are not sloppy and are very comfortable and I think look great. 

4. Yes. Camel anti-bobble brackets. Work perfect. There are others out there like rip-off china ones and some plastic 3D printed ones. 

5. Best thread to answer this question- 

Edited by DT675
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, johnneyflyguy said:

I was lucky when I was looking for a T700 as a Rally Edition became available at the time.

1986 Yamaha XT350.jpg

Nice 350

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 5:43 PM, Dougie said:

Yup, the white rallye was what I was waiting for last year and the dealers reckoned it wouldn’t come. Bastards. Now I have to buy the body parts and paint the rims to match my old girl. 

That's a great looking old 600 thumper, you've looked after it obviously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 5:27 PM, lazycalm said:

Hi guys,

1. Yes if needed, but as developed in association with Akrapovic to road legal specifications, no modes required I believe. No advantage stock fuel and silencer ( Akropovic standard )

2. Depends if you bash the bike more 

3. I fitted the Yamaha UK supplied ones...erm... Gilles is the brand I think.

4. It moves, it is designed to move, no issues at all for me.

5 For me crash bars GIVI, Centre Stand HB, rear grab handles Touratech, and a phone mount on mount bar for my Iphone for Nav, fine with me. 

Have fun !

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 9:05 PM, johnneyflyguy said:

I can't make out the T7 rack in the pic, it must be small?  Can you post another pic and some details of the rack, I'd have one but it would have to be slender, I don't want some TrayBack truck look on my bike.

This is the rack is I purchased, I must say that it was a pain to fit as one of the fixing points did not line up I had to perchance some longer bolts (5mm).

It does  the job for me.

s-l400.jpg

Fit for Yamaha Tenere 700. 1 x Rear Top Box Base. Due to the difference between different monitors, the picture may not reflect the actual color of the item. Type: Rear Luggage Cargo Carrier.

Another option. Dont know how strong but i like it and not putting heavy loads on it and this type of rack isnt meant for heavy topboxes anyway.  Looks nice with sides.

img_2_1643908302126.jpg

img_1_1643908274209.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SKunn said:

Another option. Dont know how strong but i like it and not putting heavy loads on it and this type of rack isnt meant for heavy topboxes anyway.  Looks nice with sides.

img_2_1643908302126.jpg

img_1_1643908274209.jpg

Which brand are these siderack and luggage plate?

17 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

Which brand are these siderack and luggage plate?

Facebook "OVLK ride for life" makes them and you can ask him directly, cheaper than other options, can choose color. Top is 1115g and sides 1834g.

Not mass production ofc. So maybe have to wait a bit.