Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Would you buy another T7?

Poacher

36 minutes ago, Bartek said:

But if your local highway agency grit the roads with salt with anything below +4 celcius like they do in the south... we might as well submerge the bikes in the sea 😞

In West Sussex they grit the roads so much is like driving on the gravel! 

Nope, it hasnt turned a wheel since before Christmas... way before any cold weather and certainly not with road salt. The first set of spokes was in November, the bike was only 5 weeks old with 500 miles on it... from 2 days riding in perfect weather!

• Like 1

Yes, in a heartbeat.  Colorado, United States and I ordered one on the first day (May 23rd 2020?) orders went live.  Zero issues and it does everything I want a bike to do.  First Yamaha but have had Kawasaki, Honda, and BMW in the past.  Next bike *might* be a Tracer 9GT if I get back into the sport touring needs but that would be a few years from now when I have more garage space and as a companion to the T7.

• Like 1

I have just bought another T7, actually . . . 😀

Edited by r2r
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, r2r said:

I have just bought another T7, actually . . . 😀

One for Sunday best 

11 minutes ago, Dougie said:

One for Sunday best 

That's the T7 though.

It is clear on forums and social media groups, some buy to hammer it off-road, others to float on highways and the experiences of corrosion etc stems from so many different uses. Noi manufacturer seems to get a clean bill of health, but I do find the dealers will stand on and put right any wrongs.

4 hours ago, Bartek said:

If other manufacturers keep launching ugly looking bikes like KTM's or Aprilia Tuareg (i thought this was impossible, but this is even uglier than KTM)  I might be stuck with Tenere 🙂

My next bike will be KTM again, but i'm not rushing to that moment - enjoy my Tenere and i love the look of it. Engine wise i also love it - not sure how, but this relatively low power engine delivers lot of fun. I have modified suspension and now it's also useable offroad... i'm happy with what it is.  Problem is - when i get to sell it in 2-3 years time it will loose lot of value, due corrosion, general cheap'ness and the fact that there's so many of them it's always sh*t lots for sale. It's not a unique bike 🙂

I disagree. Nothing is uglier than the KTMs! You are just desensitised over the years they have been around. The Tuareg does have an ugly front face, but looks pretty good from other quarters.

7 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

I disagree. Nothing is uglier than the KTMs! You are just desensitised over the years they have been around. The Tuareg does have an ugly front face, but looks pretty good from other quarters.

Sounds like an eighties nightclub. Low lighting. 😁🍺

Edited by Dougie
Add
  • Haha 1

I bought a new one in July 2020 and rode it for a year, doing 3000 miles or so

On the whole I enjoyed it, but it does sit between a dirtbike (WR250F) or a bigger Adv Bike (GS).........which to some is its appeal

In Aug 2021 in a fit of peak, I sold it to a mate............because I couldn't sort the screen and the suspension needs some work

He fitted lots of new parts to it and this included a Vstream screen which solved that issue

I realised I missed the T700 character, so after 3 weeks I bought it back from him (and gained a load of new accessories)

He tried and bought a 790R

So, I guess I bought a T7 twice and will fix the seat (Sargent) and the suspension this summer

I'd buy the "new" raid version maybe. The standard bike needs a little more fuel capacity, could really benefit from a re-gear I think too. A bit of a taller 5th/6th would be nice for the highway, maybe a little more spread on 1/2/3.  I don't think much of that would really effect the price too terribly much. For the price you pay though, it's basically unbeatable. Does what it says, mine's been bombproof reliable, looks damn sharp as well. I'd really like to see a Tenere 900 with the Tracer or mt power plant. Yes the weight would go up, but if Yamaha can keep the proportions and weight reasonable, could be a unicorn.  

I'm only 600 miles into my Tenere, and I love it. The only reason I would not repeat this purchase, would be for the new KTM 890 R Adventure. A good buddy ordered one last year, so I'll be able to ride them side by side on a day trip soon. The KTM has a bit more power and the weight is lower on the bike, however the T7 is going to be much more reliable, KTM motors can't compete with the T7s on reliability.

Since my need is to head out into the western Utah deserts, hopefully for 2+ days at a time, reliability was paramount in my purchase decision.

• Like 1