Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

International motorcycle shipping recommendations... US --> UK

Cassidy

Curious for any input and/or recommendations from the members here on international motorcycle shipping experiences and companies you'd recommend.  I have an opportunity through my company to relocate from Denver, CO to Belfast, Northern Ireland for 2-3 years.  I want to ship my Tenere 700 over to have there for that period of time.  

I've done some web searches but always appreciate a good referral and any tips that people might have.  Any input is much appreciated!

Obligatory photo 🙂

Tenere700.jpg.4ec6bc6fd924785d91a9fa50290055a5.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cassidy said:

Curious for any input and/or recommendations from the members here on international motorcycle shipping experiences and companies you'd recommend.  I have an opportunity through my company to relocate from Denver, CO to Belfast, Northern Ireland for 2-3 years.  I want to ship my Tenere 700 over to have there for that period of time.  

I've done some web searches but always appreciate a good referral and any tips that people might have.  Any input is much appreciated!

Obligatory photo 🙂

Tenere700.jpg.4ec6bc6fd924785d91a9fa50290055a5.jpg

Colorado to Belfast!!! Are you mad?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Bike looks great in those surroundings. Bring a waterproof. 
I wouldn’t do this either as I get attached to bikes, and I’m guessing you won’t, but one option is to sell it to one of the seemingly loads of guys in the US desperate to own one, who Yamaha are failing to supply, and buy a new one over here. You could order it before you left. 😉. Then hire a container and take a load of t7 rally with you when you go back. You’d probably beat Yamaha to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Tenere is very easy to source in the UK, so you could let yours go and pick up one when you land here.

New bike, new warranty etc?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

I’d personally be researching Belfast more then bike shipping.

Northern Ireland Interesting Facts, Per Wikipedia:

Wildlife

356 species of marine algae have been recorded in the north-east of Ireland. As Counties Londonderry, Antrim and Down are the only three counties of Northern Ireland with a shoreline this will apply to all Northern Ireland. 77 species are considered rare having been recorded rarely.

Motorcycle racing (A past time to enjoy whilst not viewing algae)
Two of the three major international road race meetings are held in Northern Ireland, these being the North West and the Ulster Grand Prix. In addition racing on purpose built circuits take place at Kirkistown and Bishop's Court, whilst smaller road race meetings are held such as the Cookstown 100, the Armoy Road Races and the Tandragee 100 all of which form part of the Irish National Road Race Championships and which have produced some of the greatest motorcycle racers in the history of the sport, notably Joey Dunlop.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

15 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Northern Ireland Interesting Facts, Per Wikipedia:

Wildlife

356 species of marine algae have been recorded in the north-east of Ireland. As Counties Londonderry, Antrim and Down are the only three counties of Northern Ireland with a shoreline this will apply to all Northern Ireland. 77 species are considered rare having been recorded rarely.

Motorcycle racing (A past time to enjoy whilst not viewing algae)
Two of the three major international road race meetings are held in Northern Ireland, these being the North West and the Ulster Grand Prix. In addition racing on purpose built circuits take place at Kirkistown and Bishop's Court, whilst smaller road race meetings are held such as the Cookstown 100, the Armoy Road Races and the Tandragee 100 all of which form part of the Irish National Road Race Championships and which have produced some of the greatest motorcycle racers in the history of the sport, notably Joey Dunlop.

Good spot for a trip indeed. I’d also recommend the ‘Black Cab Tours’ and the ‘Titanic museum’ along with visiting ‘The Giants Causeway’ and perhaps ‘The Dark Hedges’. 

Time your trip with say the Northwest 200 and you’ve got a decent week or 2 to enjoy. Certainly wouldn’t want to be living there. This is coming from someone who lives 2 hours south 👍🏼

It’s safe to say it’s wet, quite a lot.  But it’s a stunning island. T7 the right bike to travel all around it. Very friendly bunch too. 🍺

• Like 1

I go a few times a year and have friends there. Next over for this years NW200.

Belfast is a pretty cool city now.

But move there -no way 😆

Thanks all for the input!  I think it'll be a good adventure... regardless of the dramatic change in climate!  I've never lived outside of Colorado, so the prospect of somewhere new and different for a bit is appealing.  

Shipping costs seem to be pretty reasonable, but duty and taxes are pretty substantial.  Though it look like there may be certain criteria, that if met make you exempt from all that.  I think the T7 would be an awesome bike to explore around on over there!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 7:39 PM, Cassidy said:

I have an opportunity through my company to relocate from Denver, CO to Belfast, Northern Ireland for 2-3 years.  I want to ship my Tenere 700 over to have there for that period of time.  

Obligatory photo 🙂

On 2/1/2022 at 7:45 PM, Poacher said:

Colorado to Belfast!!! Are you mad?

17 hours ago, Jason said:

I’d personally be researching Belfast more then bike shipping. I’d be staying put in Colorado 100% 

12 hours ago, Dougie said:

It’s safe to say it’s wet, quite a lot.  But it’s a stunning island. T7 the right bike to travel all around it. Very friendly bunch too. 🍺

My input, for what it's worth is....go for it.

In my time I've had the opportunity to live and work in a number of different countries and amongst vastly different cultures.

Your only regret will be if you dont do it.

Research your destination and listen to the naysayers with an open mind.  A few will have very valid points but many will speak from a biased and not very well informed perspective.

I'm originally from the UK but left as a young man almost a half century ago to work overseas.

It was only going to be for a couple of years.

But, it was 1999 before I left Africa to return to England.

I was 52 years old then but didn't want to retire and the very best job opportunities for me at the time were in Ireland.

I thought that 2 years in Ireland would set me up nicely before moving back to England.

However, I'm still here in Ireland and well into retirement.

My permanent home is now here and I've travelled and worked all over the island including NI.

Whatever you do with your bike in the US is up to you.

I took a 1976 Honda 550 K3 with me to Africa.

It was a mistake.  I should've bought one when I got there.

Your situation might be different.

If you're located in Belfast for 2 - 3 years you'll have an opportunity to ride some lovely roads, both in Northern Ireland as well as Ireland.

The coast of Antrim is well worth exploring and the west coast has scenic routes to match some of the very nicest I've been privileged to ride anywhere

Whatever your decision, I wish you good luck.

PS. An option might be to buy a cheap but good 2nd hand jobbie.  Flog it when you're ready to leave.
Something like this?
Or even cheaper.  Mk 1 and Mk11 Kawasaki Versys 650's are pretty easy to come by and at very reasonable prices.
A good option for touring the island of Ireland

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-for-sale/suzuki-dr800-cb-kz-rg-rd-gpz/30278819

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3Mi

Suzuki Dr800 Big dual sport . Year 1994 Germany import . engine , gearbox , chain and sprokets very good . More info , pictures , video . Location Co. ...

Edited by Toppie
  • Like 1

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

6 hours ago, Toppie said:

A few will have very valid points but many will speak from a biased and not very well informed perspective.

Or too much.

When you lived there all your life everything is common.

I find the Netherlands boring with the overpopulation and lack of mountains but when i speak to others on my trip abroad lots of people like the Netherlands.

Edited by Ray Ride4life
typo
  • Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Or too much.

When you lived there all your life everything is common.

I find the Netherlands boring with the overpupulation and lack of mountains but when i speak to others on my trip abroad lots of people like the Netherlands.

Too many dogs? 😉

• Haha 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Too many dogs? 😉

Oops...

I love all animals, can't have too many :classic_cool:

Edited by Ray Ride4life

16 hours ago, AZJW said:

Too many dogs? 😉

Sharp!

I missed that...

• Haha 1

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....