Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Highway high speed crusing

Martin Cander

Hello everyone I’m about to by this bike i already have an fjr i cruise high ways  around 85-90 wondering if this bike can do that all day without any harm and what rpm running 90

24 minutes ago, Martin Cander said:

Hello everyone I’m about to by this bike i already have an fjr i cruise high ways  around 85-90 wondering if this bike can do that all day without any harm and what rpm running 90

700cc bike ... with the CP2 engine, it's going to outlast all of us here.  As for the revs at 90mph?  Dunno - never look.  These engines have been independently given practically the best tick of approval ever for reliability and strength.  If you were redlining it you couldn't harm it.  Just get one, ride it and you'll never regret it.

Edited by RIDER GUIDER
  • Like 2

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

• Moderators

@Martin Cander Welcome to the forum.  Yes, the T7 will cruise along comfortably at higher speeds, but don't be surprised about it's lack of passing power reserve vs the FJR. Having owned both, owners know the FJR can pull off a pass with ease, normally without even thinking about a down shift. The T7 will take at least a gear or two downshift to move around slower traffic.  If you ride two up, really be cautious about passing, it's a great all around bike, but highway speed performance isn't even in the same universe as the FJR. As to your RPM question,  my T7 is running a little over 8K @ 80 mph. The T7 will amaze you as to it versatility,  especially off road and it's an all around great bike, but isn't as at home on LD stuff like the FJR and if you have both,  you're in tall cotton.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I increased the front sprocket by one tooth and was very happy. Guys that mainly ride single track drop a tooth on the front sprocket. As said above, it is not a FJR, and it is certainly not a YZ250. It is a fun "do anything" bike.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Thanks for your reply,s I’m not expecting fjr power I was looking at the super tenere but I think those bigger bike are more for highway cruising than off road stuff the 700 is perfect to take a trip and get off road to that’s why I’m looking for one.

thanks again for the input

I'm normally not a high-speed cruising guy, but one day last fall while riding my T7 on the highway to an off-road riding area I wicked it up a bit to stay with the faster cars. I was very pleasantly surprised how great the T7 felt at a steady 85 mph, and I kept it there for 25 miles or so until it was time to exit. With the small spoiler I have fitted to the top of the T7's windscreen to manage wind noise and buffeting, the bike felt as smooth and comfy as my R1200GS at those speeds. 

Another "wow, this bike is amazing" T7 moment.  

Edited by jdub53

Just expect fuel mileage to plummet at high speeds. Off road and small backroads I can get 50mpg or so. Hammering the highway at 80 or more I have seen 35-40 mpg. This is with a 16T CS.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, norton73 said:

Just expect fuel mileage to plummet at high speeds

I discovered that also today.
Had to pick something up at Motoin. I figured that it's more fun and cheaper to get it myself because it's just 20km but across the border so international postal fee's but it would have been much cheaper.
After ordering i discovered they where open for pick up until 4 o'clock and i also have to work until 4 so stayed in an hour extra yesterday to stop an hour early today and then i could just make it (it's 50km from work).
But there was an accident and filtering is legal here but i kept filtering when it when it went into 1 lane and after the accident i went a bit faster and didn't see the motorcycle cop came after me.
Got a warning and a preach for that but still got a ticket for the invisible licence plate, it played hide and seek behind a layer of mud.... €150 fine :classic_sad:
But it was the cheapest, passing on the right would be 250 and the speed even more so i still said thanks.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, norton73 said:

Just expect fuel mileage to plummet at high speeds. Off road and small backroads I can get 50mpg or so. Hammering the highway at 80 or more I have seen 35-40 mpg. This is with a 16T CS.

35-40? Is someone riding like there’s a terminator chasing them?🤔😁

is that US or imperial? 

3 hours ago, Dougie said:

35-40? Is someone riding like there’s a terminator chasing them?🤔😁

is that US or imperial? 

Don't want to be late for Happy Hour.

US gallons.   

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...