Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tail tidy

Irishman

I used the Camel Adv. tail tidy and it works well, was fairly easy to install (no curse moments) and looks great.

IMG_3511_medium.jpg?v=1582172276

My oh my, the factory signal light, license plate holder on the T7 is ugly, brittle, huge... and did I mention ugly?! On our first dirt ride on the new T7, we hooked a branch and snapped one of the plastic brackets, yikes. Our tail tidy...

• Like 2

Went Camel also. There were fewer options for the earliest North American bikes at the time.  Added a piece of plastic under it to retain some fender effect. & fit the stock reflector to it. Some options may look a little more stylish but once they lop the tail so short you wind up with mud on the tail light,  pillion seat & your back their purpose is defeated. It needs to retain its fender capacity for me & the Camel unit does that reasonably well.

8A4F0E39-4DC1-49BF-A183-551377E89D69.jpeg

• Like 4

Ya, those are affordable & stylishly short… provided you don’t want any rear fender coverage. 

20 hours ago, Irishman said:

Hi which tail tidy is the easiest to fit on the t7?

I think only someone who has installed items from several vendors could really answer that question.

Having said that, I considered many before deciding on the Tusk unit for my T7. Straightforward installation for me, but at the time I didn't like/didn't understand the very highly angled plate design. Because of that, prior to installation I bent the plate mount section downward a bit. Only after riding in mud where the taillight got coated did I understand the reason behind the angled design, so I'm going to bend it back.

20210705_133741.thumb.jpg.ef5e4ac7decc6d84b8491dbcee0df17a.jpg

• Like 1

I made my own tail tidy, I was looking at a picture of the camel one and realised it's just a flat plate with a few bends, I made a cardboard template and cut it out of galvanised plate, a few bends and a coat of satin black and to my eye looks fine, this was a lock down boredom project as opposed to an attempt to save money 

20220204_191157.jpg

20210911_162632.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went the B&B one and was pretty happy with it, wasn’t too complicated to fit but in my opinion is maybe the most solid of the options. 

• Like 1

Adventure spec tidy. Uses some of the original setup. I like it. Not quite as minimalist as some others but it does retain some of the plastics underneath to keep some of the wiring cleaner from dirt and road grime

20220204_184055.jpg

20220204_184014.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike99 said:

I made my own tail tidy, I was looking at a picture of the camel one and realised it's just a flat plate with a few bends, I made a cardboard template and cut it out of galvanised plate, a few bends and a coat of satin black and to my eye looks fine, this was a lock down boredom project as opposed to an attempt to save money 

20220204_191157.jpg

20210911_162632.jpgThat’s a great job looks perfect

Finished to mount the Aliexpress tail tidy. With couple of mods:

1) I added a 5cmx18cm - 3mm thick alu plate, mounted with 3 rivets, to be used as 3rd mounting point for the plate holder.

2) the tail tidy leaves 2 holes on the sides of the rear light. I made a covering plate from 1mm thick Lexan and painted black from the inside (after dulling it with 240 grit sandpaper). I copy here the template if somebody is interested.

3) I chopped the turn signal mounts and drilled 10mm holes instead. This tail tidy is steel. HARD. Had to sharpen the bits 3 times to drill through!

Template tail tidy.jpg

Tailplate1.jpg

Tailplate3.jpg

Tailplate4.jpg

Tailplate5.jpg

Tailplate6.jpg

• Like 3