Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Poor MPG's....

Smoothpudding

My tenere 700 has about 3500 miles on it. Average on the computer is showing 33mpg. I got 80 miles before I got down to 1 bar. Filling up and doing the math I am showing 30mpg. This is not in line with any other mileage reports. I am absolutely ham fisted on the throttle but that shouldn't knock me down to nearly half the mpg everyone else is seeing? No engine mods other than a slip on yoshi. 02 sensor and cat are still present. What could the issue be?

??… Even with the ECU flash, which lowered mileage some, I’m still around  45 mpg (us) or 19km/litre in Canuck speak. Leave my dash to display ltrs/100km & it averages 5.2 to 5.3 over many tanks.  Prior to the tune it was more like 4.8-5 ltrs/100km. And yes, that decrease in mileage was well worth trading for more smiles per km!

What was your MPG before the Yosh and O2 sensor?

How does your MPG on other bikes compare to other riders on the same bike?

I ask that not knowing exactly what "absolutely ham fisted" means.

For example, if you're riding high rpm in top gear all the time, a bike like this - not the most aerodynamic - could dip into the 30s on occasion.

Still, it does seem low...

Edited by MCGMB

Where are you @Smoothpudding? Don’t forget if you’re stateside, our 60mpg would be your 49 mpg. So you would get from 40( ragging it) to 54(motorway cruising). Failing that, your gearbox is stuck in second. 

• Haha 2

My 21 T7 is still new.  I filled it up when I first got it home.  Nothing but road miles until I got 160 miles on it.  Just road it.  Didn’t baby it.  I filled it back up at 160 miles and got 53 mpg.  

30-33 mpg is normal if you are riding it like you are in race 24/7.

I have a full system and tune from 2wdw and it didn't lower the mpg too much, maybe 2-5 mpg. I can go from 30 mpg to 45 mpg depending on how I ride it.

Have you run a diagnostic on it? Unlike other bikes the T7 can have error codes read with a common  OBD reader.

You do need a connector, available from Camel and probably other places.

IMG_0371_medium.jpg?v=1618785135

Does your T7 have a check engine light lit up? No need to take it to the dealer! With this adaptor cable, you can check and clear engine codes at home using a standard automotive OBD-II scanner*. Don't have an OBD-II (On...

:

• 1 month later...

Sounds perfectly normal to me. I have an average of 40.3mpg over the last 3500 miles or so.  I can easily get it to the 20s with wind and heavy throttle. That is with no luggage and only myself on the bike  in KS.  I ride about 50/50 paved and dirt. I also ride it with a heavier wrist than many apparently.   But then again I didn’t get it to save money on fuel. 

5 hours ago, Motoinvestor said:

Sounds perfectly normal to me. I have an average of 40.3mpg over the last 3500 miles or so.  I can easily get it to the 20s with wind and heavy throttle. That is with no luggage and only myself on the bike  in KS.  I ride about 50/50 paved and dirt. I also ride it with a heavier wrist than many apparently.   But then again I didn’t get it to save money on fuel. 

That’s still 50mpg in the old world 😁so not bad with the dirt etc. 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dougie said:

That’s still 50mpg in the old world 😁so not bad with the dirt etc. 👍

I dont get the old world MPG.  

22 hours ago, Motoinvestor said:

I dont get the old world MPG.  

Meaning  4.5litrs per gallon in civilisation, not 3.7 litres in the colonies😂😂😂😉🍺

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 5:43 PM, Smoothpudding said:

My tenere 700 has about 3500 miles on it. Average on the computer is showing 33mpg. I got 80 miles before I got down to 1 bar. Filling up and doing the math I am showing 30mpg. This is not in line with any other mileage reports. I am absolutely ham fisted on the throttle but that shouldn't knock me down to nearly half the mpg everyone else is seeing? No engine mods other than a slip on yoshi. 02 sensor and cat are still present. What could the issue be?

I've found that I can get well under 40MPG if I push the bike hard on the freeway. Easy riding under 6k RPMs I can get 55. I've been sub 30 MPG at times when I really want to move. Try dialing it back a bit for a tank and see how you do.

25 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Meaning  4.5litrs per gallon in civilisation, not 3.7 litres in the colonies😂😂😂😉🍺

Ok, now i get the gallon.

But miles, you mean nautic miles?🤔

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

Ok, now i get the gallon.

But miles, you mean nautic miles?🤔

Aaaarrgh😉👍🍺😂🏴‍☠️

Edited by Dougie

Sounds normal to me.  Any engine will suck fuel if you're hammering it.  Twice the throttle body aperture, twice the fuel.

• Like 1