Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Longer gear lever

Rider 101

Question

Has anyone found a longer gear lever that doesn't cost the earth or made in china? I need to extend about 20mm. 

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

9 answers to this question

Ali Express is all things Chinese made.  But I have to admit, I think that is what @Rider 101is looking for.  I suppose a guy could go to a scrap yard and locate something as well.  Let us know what you end up getting.

A lot of things are Chinese made and a lot you think is American or EU made is also Chinese made.
Chinese can make good products for less than USA or EU workers but when you have product produced there you have to have your own quality inspector at the factory to maintain the right quality.
When buying Chinese you can buy cheap and have a good product but when you get really cheap is where you need to realise it might be crap.

When I was a kid, the "old" guys bitched about Cheap Jap Shet. Now Japan is known for quality.

China can make quality products but makes much more profit on selling cheap crap to people looking for cheap crap. As a side note: A Chinese company named "Techtronic Industries Company Limited" (TTI Group or TTI) now owns "Milwaukee Tool". As a citizen from the great state of Wisconsin, I hang my head low.... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I had a look at Aliexpress and found an SW-Motech adjustable lever for $80 AUD. It was branded and look identical to the genuine item. The chinese have no shame in their manufacturing.

As for quality, the chinese will get away with the least they can. I worked for a company that produce large oil coolers for the power and petrochemical industry. The flaring of tubes was critical. The first batch we had made were checked on arrival and promptly rejected. We spend a couple of weeks reflaring all tubes along with cutting out and rewelding some of the shell welds.

I won't buy chinese unless there is no option. I will keep a look out for a wrecked 700 and see if I can get the shift lever.  I modified my F800 to a more useable length. It is nice to have a TIG welder & lathe.

16 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Has anyone found a longer gear lever that doesn't cost the earth or made in china? I need to extend about 20mm. 

Not sure if there is a distributor for Woodcraft products in AUS, but this is an inexpensive solution for those in North America.  Not sure if it can extend 20mm but it should be close.  Also allows the tip to be dropped some more if you can't get the stock tip low enough.

Just cut off the stock tip, drill a hole and bolt this on. Woodcraft makes good stuff.  

If it was me I would cut the stock shift lever tip off at the final bend and weld in a piece of steel whatever length you need.  Touch up with a bit of black paint and you are done.

08-7899_240x.jpg?v=1594791163

Folding toe piece can be used for either the brake or shift pedal assemblies

Edited by williestreet

Not heard of Woodcraft. I would buy from Nth America or Europe but postage is horrendous.

Straight from their website:-

There are 4 shipping rates available for 2333, New South Wales, Australia, starting at $93.33.

• FedEx International Economy at $93.33
  • FedEx International Priority at $97.06
  • FedEx International Economy + Signature at $101.83
  • FedEx International Priority + Signature Required at $120.11
Edited by Rider 101

Nice bit of kit but oh! the price!!

gear-lever-for-yamaha-tenere-700.jpg

Made from high quality aluminium alloy. CNC milled. Can be steplessly adjusted for optimal gear position. $12 flat rate shipping fee at Motorrad Garage.

$293 + $12 postage is a bit rich for me.

• Sad 2